Twenty Six

"Are you okay because I haven't seen you smiling this hard in forever." Don said as we walked out of the doctors office hand in hand. "Why wouldn't I be? This is the best news ever!" I was practically skipping to the car. We had just found out that we're having a boy. Thank The Lord because me and a girl...no way. I was so busy staring at the ultrasound of my son that I didn't hear a word that Don had said.

"B, put that thing down and answer my question." he snapped. "Sorry, what were you saying?" I asked running my hand over his head. "It doesn't matter. You hungry?" he asked backing out of the parking spot. "Not for food." I inched my left hand to his crotch and he slapped my hand away.

"No. We have sex four, five times a day. Shower sex, kitchen sex, on the sofa, studio. I'm taking today off, you can go without it for a day girl. Fucking around with you I ain't gonna have no more sperm to have more kids." he complained. "Just shut all that noise up because your mouth ain't broke." was my only reply as I sat back in my seat. He just glanced at me and chuckled. "Ain't nothing funny. Keep on laughing 'cause I'm getting the D one way or another."

"Shut up B." I ignored him and reached over to turn the radio down. "I think I'm going to sign us up for lamaze classes even though I don't know the point. I already know how to breathe." I said as we passed my favorite Chinese spot, Ho-ho's. "Don, turn the car around. I want some Ho-ho's." He kept rolling as if he didn't hear what I said. "Helloooo." This fool knew he heard me and I could feel my anger rising. Not wanting to go off I silently counted to ten and thought of how I could get him to go.

"If you turn around, I'll give you head whenever you want for a whole week." I really didn't even have to say it all before he bust an illegal u-turn in the direction I wanted to go. "You are such a dog." I told him shaking my head. "It's in me til the day I die, don't act like you don't know this." he said while showing the tattoo on his forearm of his fraternity.

"Okay, tell Ming to hook me up with my usual but I want my sesame chicken fried extra and my beef and broccoli with extra broccoli. And tell Gina to have my tea extra sweet, two of them." Don just got out without acknowledging what I told him. All I knew was that my order better be right or we would be fighting.

While waiting on Don to come back I decided to call Brian. I hadn't seen him in a while and was missing him. "B-Dubb!!" I said once he answered. "Oh hell, look who rose from the dead. Is this Lazarus or Britni?" he joked. "Stop playing. What you doing, I miss your old funky self." "I been chillin you know. Enjoying the life of taking your position at the studio over." I shook my head. "Enjoy it while you can, once I drop this load you're back to a nobody." "Oh really? That's how you feel? But I have to go, you busy later?" he asked me. "What could my wide ass possibly be busy doing? Act like you know." "I don't know, making another baby. But I'm coming by so I'll see you at like nine or so." We hung up and Don was back.

"Can I have a bite of your pizza roll, Don?" He sucked his teeth before handing it over. All of that just to give it to me. I took like three bites before he stopped me. "B, you asked for a bite, not three." "Sorry." I said licking my fingers. He just took the rest from me and finished it off by the time we got to his house. "You complained about me taking three bites when you have four more? Unbelievable." I rolled my eyes digging into my beef and broccoli.

"So about this head whenever I want for a week..." he trailed off. "Boy bye, I only said that to get my Chinese food. Besides, you need a break from sex and that includes oral. Don't want you to run out of sperm so you can't have kids later in life." I used his words against him. "You and your smart ass mouth." he said bending down to kiss me. "You love it." I said pushing him away so that I could get back to my food.

"I need to go stop in at all my restaurants, make sure my managers got shit under control. You be alright for two hours?" He pulled me into him as much as he could. "I will be fine...a little bored though." I told him honestly. "I'll be back before you know it. Just go lay down or something." He kissed my forehead and then my stomach before walking out the door.

After a while I became bored out of my mind and didn't know what to do with myself. Not working and being home all day, every day was the worst and it was still early. I could always go to the dance studio but it was depressing because I couldn't help. I had to tell my parents, twin and friends that Don and I were expecting a boy, and we had to inform his family also. But I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone. Making my way upstairs, I grabbed Don's MacBook and logged on to do some online shopping for the baby. I knew I would be getting things from the baby shower that could now be planned but it wouldn't hurt for me to get a few things. You can never have too much, right?

"B!" I jumped up about to start swinging at whoever just touched me. "Damn girl, calm down. It's just me." Don said pushing me back down and hovering over me. "You think I can plank on your stomach?" he asked laughing. "Get your fat self from over me before you hurt us." I said pushing him. "Yo, you the second person to call me fat today." he said with his face all frowned up.

"Hey little boy. Stop making Mommy eat so much junk. You two are messing up my perfect figure because when y'all eat, I eat." He kissed my stomach before kissing my lips. He was now making that a habit. "Did you really just talk to my belly?" "Yes. They can hear, I bought some books so you can read to him." I shook my head. "You know I can't do that, you can."

"It's normal baby, he has to learn your voice so here." He passed me a bag from the bookstore that I didn't notice. "I got us these. Discount price because the girl thought I was cute, gave me all types of coupons." "That better have been all she gave you." I snapped. "Even if it wasn't that shouldn't matter because you got me and I only have eyes for you."

"We need to decide on a name." I spoke while rubbing Don's head that was laying in my lap as we watched Soul Food. "Uh Adonis Jr., get real girl." I shook my head. "No. That's so cliche, why not something like Jordan?" "Jordan? He ain't no pair of sneakers." he laughed. "Tremaine?" I smiled. "Britni, my son will not be named after your sick celebrity crush on Trey Songz. You name him that, his first word will be baaa." he imitated a goat causing me to laugh.

"You're so stupid. We'll figure it out soon, maybe while we're at Coldstone?" Don stood and pulled me up kissing me quickly. "I have a feeling that's your way of asking to go, what about the movie?" "That's correct and it can wait." I shrugged. "Ohh we can go to my great aunt Corrine's restaraunt too." I was already headed out the door. "No, Outback." he stated following me. "Anywhere that food is present." I sang out.

"Twin, make this the last time you move. I can't deal with the moving of things." Ant said bringing a box in. "Well my bad that my boyfriend forced me to move back in with him. We didn't even bring everything from my apartment because I'm still keeping it." I said from my spot on the arm chair. "You need to get rid of it because that's wasting money." Don jumped in. I rolled my eyes at him. "It's money that I have though, I'm not broke and I know what I'm doing." I snapped. "Calm down, we just saying you should be a little more mindful." he said while looking at me with a frowned up face. "Well until you two join my bank account then and only then can y'all have some say so in what I do with my funds. So don't tell me what's wasteful and what isn't." I stood up making my way towards the basement. "She ain't never gon get rid of that fucked up attitude." I heard Don say before I shut the door to the basement and went into the dance studio that Don had built.

Standing in the mirrored wall, I stared at my reflection. My belly looked swollen and I looked and felt fat and annoyed. Annoyed because...well, no real reason. Rubbing my stomach, I let out a huge breath and decided to take this time to talk to my unborn son. After searching the basement I came up with a pillow and plopped down on it. Opening my mouth, I tried finding words to say. Even though there was life inside of me, I felt like I didn't need to say anything until he was fully in this world.

"Hey baby. It's Mommy but I'm sure you know that already." I let a small nervous laugh out. "I don't know what I'm doing but I guess this is called bonding? You wouldn't know either, right? I'll be honest with you but only because you're so innocent and you don't know what's going on...I'm scared that I won't or can't be great enough for you. I mean, I just became excited about all of this when I found out you're a boy." I could feel tears trying to escape my eyes, but I blinked that burning sensation away.

"I'm still trying to better myself for me and you and your father. It's all a working process. I can't wait for you to get here so I can hold and kiss you. Spoil you. I love you already.." I trailed off because I heard footsteps. I figured that was the end of my talking to the baby. "Adonis, I know it's you over there trying to creep. I can smell your cologne so just come out." He came in and sat on the floor behind me so that I was in between his legs. "Nice talking. You're not too bad at it." he said while moving my hair to the side and kissing my now exposed neck.

"You would've never known had you not been being sneaky." I smiled. He didn't say anything as he placed his large hands to my belly. "He's not that active. He got that from you." Don laughed. "Whatever, I'm active. I had to be to keep my sexy figure until you put a stop to it by getting me fat and pregnant." "You helped me do that to you, it takes two. You're still sexy. Fat belly, larger clothes and all." Turning my head to the side a bit to look up at him, I just studied his face for a few seconds.

"Damn, what you looking at?" he asked as if he was annoyed. "I'm trying to figure that out. Maybe I need to take you to the Discovery Museum and see if they know what it is." I laughed too hard at my own comeback. "Booo get off the stage. You so damn corny B." he pushed my head making me laugh even more. "Did my twin leave?" I asked as he helped me up off the floor and we made our way back up. "Yeah, why?" He answered smacking my behind.

"I don't want him to hear something." "Oh, uh. Hear what?" he wondered while scratching his head. "Me about to make you scream like a little bitch." I simply said pushing myself off the kitchen counter. "So drop em." I jerked my head at his sweatpants that were hanging off of his waist. "Right here?" I nodded a yes. "Right here."

"Shit. You have to stop." Don breathed out as we got ourselves together. "What did I do? You did all the work, I just took it. Maybe threw it back a bit but, hey." I smiled and shrugged my shoulders before kissing him deeply. "I might just have to again, you kissing me like that." "Whatever Don." I waved him off making my way to the downstairs bathroom to start us a shower.

Not bothering to wait for Don's slow self, I hopped in. It wasn't until I started washing my body did I look down at the shower floor to see bits of red mixing with the water and going down the drain. I was the only one in here, it was coming from me.

"Don! Hurry up!" I screamed out. I was in a state of shock and surprised that I was still standing there instead of laying out on the floor somewhere. "Britni, why are you-" "Shut up one second! We have to get to the hospital, I'm bleeding but I don't feel any pain. The longer I stand and talk to you and.." I stopped speaking because then I felt a minor ache. Minor but major enough for me to stop speaking. "Just help me get dressed and to the hospital." I cried out. I was afraid but at the same time calm. Everything had to be alright, this was normal and my baby would be fine. Right?

Here I was laying up in a hospital bed with an IV stuck in my right arm, a blood pressure cuff on my left and a pulse monitor on my finger. Not to mention this ugly ass hospital gown that I was wearing, wanting to snatch it off because the fabric was irritating my skin. Don was sitting by my side looking stressed, a vein in his forehead popping out. We were waiting on the doctor to come back with the test results from my urine sample and blood work of why I was bleeding and what caused it. The baby was alright. Thank God.

"I want my mom. Can you please go and get her?" I whined to Don. "Your dad too?" I shook my head no. "Only her and you can stay out there." He looked at me as if I was crazy but before he could protest, I spoke again. "Please, I just want only her. You can come back in ten minutes." It wasn't like I was asking him to leave the hospital or anything. I just wanted the comfort from my mom.

"Britni, are you okay?" my mom asked as she entered the small room. "No. Mommy, I'm scared. Did I do something wrong for me to start bleeding like I was? They said the baby is alright and healthy b-but what about me? I'll-I'll be okay right?" I choked out. She rushed to my side and grabbed my hand, smoothing my hair back.

"You're alright, just calm down. It's nothing major I'm sure. Come May, you'll be bringing that boy in the world and once you see him, you'll forget about everything that has ever happened in your pregnancy. Well, not everything but you get what I'm saying." "Yeah I guess so. Doesn't change the fact that I'm still scared. Did you guys get in touch with Ant?" I asked trying to change the subject. She shook her head in the negative. "Well is his phone ringing? Does he know I'm in the ER?" The questions started rolling. If anybody, would be here I would expect for my twin to be. Hell, even Kyra and Brian were out there.

"Stop worrying. I'm sure whatever he's doing, it's important and he will be here soon." My eyes rolled and I let out a hard and over exaggerated breath. "Yeah well when his twin is on her death bed, you'd think that's more important." "Hush that noise, you aren't dying." she said popping my hand. "You can go get Daddy and Don now." I closed my eyes, dismissing her.

I didn't even know that I fell asleep but when I woke up, it was bright outside so I knew it was morning. I looked to my right to see Don on the chair head back and lightly snoring. "Adonis." I called out. His eyes snapped open. "Why am I still here and not at home?" It took him a minute to respond.

"Well, you were sleeping when we talked to the Doctor. You're alright." he said sitting up straight. "Well gee whiz, what was wrong? I need more than some "you're alright" like what is that?" Sarcasm and a bit of annoyance fell from my lips. "Long story short, your cervix is weak and very vascular. It's not major and it stops but," he paused and started rubbing the back of his neck. I picked up the small box of tissues on the table by the bed and threw it at him. "But what? You can't start telling me something and not finish."

He bucked at me making me jump a little. "It can come from sex...like the bleeding of your cervix because it's so weak. Something you and I have been having a bit too much of. Not to mention that you noticed the blood after we finished the deed." "You can never have too much sex. Dr. James said we can until the last month soooo." I dragged out. "I have to disagree." "You're no doctor B." he smiled. We were interrupted by a nurse. "Oh, you're awake? I'm Taryn, your nurse. I'm just coming to check your vitals. Do you need anything?"

"Yes. My discharge papers because I'm not staying in this germy ass hospital." I told her. "Sorry but you're stuck here for a couple of days." she smiled warmly. Like hell I was. "What? Why?" "Well, your blood pressure was pretty high and you were a bit dehydrated. Once things go back to normal, you are free to go. I'll be back in a bit to check on you again. Press the call button if you need anything." she walked out.

"You weren't planning on telling me?" "Didn't give me the chance to." I was silent for a minute. "Did Ant come?" Don shook his head. "Call? A text?" I was upset, beyond upset. "Your parents went by his house but he wasn't home." "He's alright though." I stated. "How do you know?" "You have to be a twin to understand. You know when the other is hurt, in trouble, sad or anything. No matter how far apart you are. Which is why I don't understand how he hasn't called back or anything." I sighed. "All I know is his excuse better be the best in the world."

"I'm going to go home, shower and change. Pack you a bag. You need anything?" Don asked standing. "A kiss and some real food. I don't care what. You know what I like." I lay back and cut the tv on deciding to watch one of these cheesy talk shows. The door to my room opened and there stood my twin. Glancing at the time, I looked back at him.

"Hey, how you feeling?" he asked fully stepping in. "I'm alright. Where were you?" There was no time for small talk. He stood there not saying anything and I knew. "Really Anthony?" I asked because I couldn't believe it. "You were with Mia." It was more of a question instead of a statement. His face just told it all. "I was but I didn't have my phone on me. Honest." I knew then that he was lying.

"You're lying. Every time you lie you say "honest" and your left eye twitches the same as me. Get out Anthony." I spoke with gritted teeth. "Come on twin, you're not mad at me. Seriously? It's not like I missed the birth or anything major." Turning my head to the side, I didn't bother responding. My blood pressure was already high and I wasn't about to make it any higher. "Fine. Don't answer me." he said as if he was the one mad.

"I hope that twenty-five year old virgin pussy was way better than coming to see about your other half laying up in the hospital scared shitless because they were bleeding and all. It's cool though, I'm not sweating it no more. At least I know you're alive and have no problem putting your girlfriends before me."

He started to say something but I held my hand up. "Don't try and say anything because who comes and sees about you when your sick or something? Sure wasn't or isn't Mia. I have a boyfriend and I always leave him to make sure you're okay or when you need me. You can't even do the same. You only come when you're not busy with your girl and it's always the same line."

"I haven't seen you in a while. That's not my fault. Get yourself together Anthony James because when you get these little girlfriends, you forget the one who is there no matter what. Yeah you give me advice and all but I wanted you here last night. Not this morning. All I wanted was my brother. Damn and fuck everybody else."

Taking a breath from speaking, I took a sip of water. "What if the reason I was in here was extremely serious and yesterday was my last day on Earth? You would feel bad because you no longer had your twin? Your other half? Lift your shirt and take a look at that scar on your stomach from us being conjoined." He just stood there with a blank look on his face. "Look at it!" I yelled watching as he lifted his shirt.

"I have nothing left to say to you in this moment, I feel my blood pressure rising. Just leave." Waving him off with my hand, I focused my attention back on the television. "I'm really sorry twin." he whispered in a broken voice before walking out of the room. "Why does Ant look all sad?" Don asked walking back into the room, handing me a bag from Subway. "I don't want to talk about it." I said softly before opening my sandwich. I was hurt.