Twenty Eight

"Do you have everything that you need?" Don asked before we walked out of the house for New York. "Yes." I said. "Snacks? Drinks? Did you go to the bathroom, because I'm not stopping." "I said yes." He muffed me. "Don't be talking back Britni Lashae." I walked over to the door and pulled it open.

"Don't get fucked up by a pregnant woman Adonis." I could hear him laughing before saying, "I won't get fucked up by one but I will get fucked by one." "Get in the car nasty!" I yelled.

The ride started out smooth until I had to use the bathroom. I was afraid to ask since Don had made it clear that he wasn't stopping. "Don.. I have to pee." I could see him shaking his head out the corner of my eye. "Didn't you go before we left?" he asked in an annoyed voice. "I did but your son is having a party on my bladder and I can't- look just stop somewhere on this turnpike." I huffed.

A few minutes later, we stopped. Unbuckling myself I noticed that he was still sitting there. "You're not coming in with me?" "No, just hurry up." He scrolled through his phone while I glared at him. "Somebody might take me." "If they do, trust me they will be bringing you back." I stuck my middle finger up at him and went on into the rest stop.

Back on the road, I realized that we were now inside the Holland Tunnel and I began to panic. "You alright?" Don asked glancing over at me. I shook my head no while emptying the paper bag that my juice bottle was in. I began breathing in and out. I had a major fear of tunnels because they were underwater and it always made me panic. The fact that we weren't moving fast made it even worse. Soon we were out of the tunnel and I began breathing regularly a few moments later.

"What was that?" Don asked. "I have a fear of tunnels." "Why didn't you tell me? I would have gone a different way." He said grabbing my hand. "I forgot we go through a tunnel. It's okay, I'm fine now. Are we far from the house, I gotta pee." "We almost there, you need to control your bladder ma." I looked at him with a look of disbelief. "I can't control my bladder if your son keeps tap dancing on it you asshole."

We pulled up to Nana's house about twenty minutes later. It was a cute little brownstone. "Go on inside, I'll get the bags." Don ordered. He was crazy if he thought that I was just going to walk up in here like I paid Nana's bills. I rang the doorbell and waited. "Didn't I tell you to go on in?" Don asked as the door swung open. "Hey babies." Nana greeted. "Hi Nana." I said hugging her tightly. "Where's the bathroom?" "Down the hall and to the right." I made my way to relieve myself.

"So Nana, how've you been?" I asked sitting on the sofa by her. "Don't you how've you been me." she huffed. "Why didn't I know that y'all fast asses were expecting?" My eyes became big. She didn't know? "I thought you knew. Don said he was going to tell you all." I said while glaring at him. "Well, he didn't."

I was feeling some type of way that he had not informed his family about the pregnancy and I was almost six damn months. What was wrong with him. "Adonis, why didn't you tell?" I asked as his right hand began to creep towards the back of his neck. He just rubbed and didn't say anything.

In my head I tried to come up with a reason but nothing. I mean, all my family knew and his didn't. Did he think we would just pop up one day with a baby that to them came out of nowhere? Then they would look at me all crazy. "It slipped my mind." Those four words set me off and hurt me all at the same time.

"Us having a baby slipped your mind? You have seen me and this round ass stomach every single day for the past five and a half months; but it slipped your mind? Like do you remember going to doctors visits and going to stores in the middle of the night? Adonis, get real. Do you have any idea what those words just did to me or how I feel right now? Because I don't think you do and I don't even want to look at you right now."

I didn't even realize that I was crying until Nana had started wiping my face with tissue. "Shhh Britni. The baby, you have to calm down." she whispered hugging me close. "I am calm. I'm just upset that he said that. How could he? Nana I swear if I knew-" "I know baby. I didn't mean to cause any drama." "No. You weren't the cause of drama." I sighed heavily. "Can I lay down? I need to clear my head." Nana stood from her seat before telling me to follow her.

I was laying on my back just staring up at the ceiling and thinking. What type of fuckery was this? Moments later, the door opened and I didn't have to look to know who it was. "B. Nana said come down and eat. I know you're hungry, you didn't eat much today as it is." Don said before closing the door back. Not wanting to be or seem rude I went on into the kitchen where Nana had prepared a vegetable and chicken lasagna. Italian didn't really sit well with me but I decided to try it. Don sat in the seat at the table right next to me making me scoot over only for him to do the same.

"Adonis, she doesn't want to sit next to you now move." Nana said after watching us. "I don't know why." he said moving back over. "Oh you don't? I have a mind to kick your narrow ass for her. What you didn't do wasn't right and you know it." I just rolled my eyes and continued to eat in silence and made small conversation with Nana. It wasn't long after I had finished eating that lasagna had I ended up with my head in the toilet.

"Here you go baby." Nana said handing me crackers and a ginger ale. "Thanks." I mumbled as she smiled warmly at me. "So what are you having?" "A boy." I smiled. "Will he be a junior?" she asked causing me to shrug my shoulders. "I don't want him to be but Don does so I guess. Between the two of us, I just became excited about having a baby."

"And why is that?" "I was selfish. I wasn't ready to put my life on hold to raise a child. I'm young Nana, twenty three and just starting my business and then I meet your grandson and now we're here. Adonis is almost three years older than I and he's ready for all of this. He wants the whole family thing and marriage and growing old together. I don't.. well at least I don't think so. But I love him and I'm in love with him and whatever he wants I'll do but I don't want to seem like a fool in love." I told her.

"Just give it more time, I don't want you to become a fool in love. It happens to the best of us. You have to play it smart and if you know what I know, Donnie is who you need even though I know he can mess up at times. Cut all that foolishness out." she laughed. "When we were kids, he used to tell me I would be his woman and it made me feel all like ew." I laughed. "Even as a kid I was sort of opposed to the whole love and starting a family thing. I just found out who he was the other day thanks to my dad. Like he's my childhood sweetheart or something."

"Maybe he is. Now," she said standing up. "I have to get to my card game. You can join me or you can sit here and talk to your man. I suggest you choose the latter. Nana can get a little out of control at the game." I smiled at her before telling her that I was staying. "There's plenty of food and the tv works and-" "Nana, go." I said gently pushing her.

Back upstairs, I decided to FaceTime my sister. I hadn't really seen her in a minute. "Hey sissy!" "Hey Lay, what you doing?" I asked her. "Nothing I was playing a game with Peyton and you interrupted." There was a bit too much attitude in her voice. "Well excuse me." "Hi Britni!" Peyton's chunky face popped up in the camera. "Hello Peyton." His face turned a shade of red and he started grinning. "Peyton, move. Sissy he likes you."

"I do not!" he yelled at Alayna before pushing her. "Hey, you can't put your hands on a female Peyton." I told him. "But she hits me!" he exclaimed. Next thing I knew, the screen became black from being thrown down. I knew the call didn't disconnect because I could hear the two yelling and tussling and a bunch of thumping.

I couldn't help but to laugh. "Are you kids crazy? Peyton get off of her and Alayna get your damn foot out of his face!" my mom's voice came. "Sorry Ma." "Sorry Mrs. Lisa." They both said quietly. "Helloooo." I called out. My mom picked up the iPad. "Mommy, pull the device away from your face like that." "Oh hey baby. Where are you, we stopped by the house earlier." "I'm in New York with Don visiting his Nana. I'll be back Sunday." The door opened and Don entered the room. "Mommy I'll call you back, I gotta go." I ended the call.

"Are you still mad at me?" he asked sitting next to me. I didn't say a word. "Don stop playing!" I squealed as he tickled my sides. "Well stop being mad at me." "Fuck you." I said pushing him away. "You have plenty of times and I enjoy every second of it." My eyes turned into slits as I glared at him. "Just kidding, don't hurt me." He laughed holding his hands up.

"Why didn't you say anything? I mean, you had me come here and randomly let it be known I'm carrying your child." I waited for him to say something. "I won't lie, I don't know why I never said anything. I haven't even really been speaking to my family much and that's why I didn't really want to come here." He answered after a while. "You can't do shit like that Adonis. That's unfair for my family and friends to be a part of my pregnancy while yours was left in the dark."

I got off the bed and went over to my suitcase and began pulling things I needed for a shower. "I still don't want to be around you right now though. I'm sure Nana has other rooms in this brownstone." I said before walking out. "Britni, you don't want to sleep with me?" Don called before I entered the bathroom. "Not tonight."

I sat up just about all night. Tossing and turning, turning and tossing. Possibly because Don wasn't next to me but I just wanted to be left alone. And not to mention my little boy was turning somersaults and kicking me all crazy. Looking at the clock on the nightstand, the green numbers glowed 4:30. Kicking the covers off, I found my way to the kitchen. Someone was in there because the glow of the light from the refrigerator lit the space.

"Hey." Don called once I flicked the lights on. "Hey." I mumbled folding my arms across my chest. "I can't sleep." we both said at the same time before cracking smiles. "Well what are we eating?" I asked. "Shit. I'm eating a lunch meat sandwich, you can't eat it unless the meat is cooked... I can fry some bologna or-" "No thanks." I looked through the cabinets and pantry until I came across a bag of Doritos. "Jackpot." I whispered. "Babe, see if Nana has some sour cr-" I stopped once I saw it sitting on the counter. "I knew you would find the Doritos so I already got that nasty sour cream out." he shrugged.

"Sour cream and Doritos are delicious. Here, try it." I handed him one dipped in the cream. He opened his mouth and I popped it in. Smirking, I watched him try to act like it wasn't good. "Ehh I don't know baby. Let me taste another one." He ate another. "Nah, they taste better when you feed them to me." Shaking my head I continued feeding the both of us until the bag of chips were empty.

"Gimme a kiss." Don said while licking his fingers. So nasty. "I'm good. I don't want to kiss you with that cheesy breath you got going." He popped his lips. "But you got the same cheesy breath." "But you got cheesy breath on top of that disgusting ass sandwich you ate. No." I told him getting up to throw our trash out.

"Come on Don, stop." I said walking in the opposite direction around the island. "I'm not doing anything.... yet." "Adonis Smith, I know you. You're planning on how to trick me up so you can get a kiss." I laughed. "No I wasn't." he poked his bottom lip out. "Aww poor baby come here." I cooed as he slowly walked over to me. Standing on my toes I captured his lips into a kiss.

As the kiss became deeper, he lifted me up and my legs wrapped around his waist. "I see y'all made up, now stop being nasty in my kitchen!" I placed my forehead against Don's. "Why's your coat on? Where you coming from?" Don asked as he placed me down. "You might want to think about trying to ask me anything again. It's none of your business if I'm coming in or going out, this is my house. I'll see y'all later." she told us before walking off.

"She has a boyfriend." I told Don. "Like hell. I'll beat that old mans ass." "Who said he is old? And you know no card game lasts all night, not at their age." Don stopped drinking his bottle of water. "Are you trying to say that Nana is a cougar?" I just rolled my eyes. "Just forget it. Come on, I'm tired and I don't want to sleep all day." It was going on six.

"What would you like to do today?" Don asked while watching me comb through my mass of curls. "I don't know. You're supposed to show me your hood and stuff like that." He only laughed. "Can you finish combing my hair, it's making me mad. My hair was never this thick or hard to do until this pregnancy." I pouted as he took the comb from me. "Thanks love." I kissed his cheek.

"Let's take the train to where we need to be." "Let's not and say we did." 'Why did he have to be a smartass?' I thought as he opened the passenger door for me. "Fix your face. To get on the train it's all fast paced and you move slow as hell with that bowling ball you call a stomach." He laughed causing me to crack a little smile. We spent the day with him showing me all over Brooklyn and a few of the places that his dad left to him.

"You never showed me the house you grew up in." I said turning to face him as we sat in the car parked in front of Nana's. "Didn't plan on it." By his weird tone of voice, something told me not to push to find out why. "Oh." I said quietly playing with my fingers. "Come on, let's get inside. Turquoise and Corey are coming and we're all going to Blockheads." I didn't feel like going out at all. We were gone all day and I was tired as all hell. And he had a small attitude that I had picked up on. "But I'm sleepyyyy." I whined. "Take a nap then but we are going out."

"Come on B, time to get up." "NO." It wasn't long before I felt the covers being pulled away. "Do I need to dress up?" I asked. "Nah. Do what you do." Don shook his head. Sighing, I pulled out a pair of black skinnies. "Won't those hurt your stomach?" "No, I'll be fine." I said sitting down so that I could pull them on. "Wear some leggings or sweats." he requested. "I always wear them, what's wrong with these jeans?"

"Dammit, Britni. You always have to ask questions! I told you to put something else on, just fucking do it!" he barked. "Don't talk to me like I'm some damn animal or scum on the bottom of your shoe! Have you lost your damn mind?" I said with as much bass in my voice as he had, my hands turning into fists. He had no reason to even do all of that. It wasn't even necessary. We both stared at one another for what seemed like years when it was only a few seconds.

"Fuck it. I'm not going anywhere with you tonight. Not on that shitty ass attitude." I exchanged my clothes for some pajamas and climbed back in bed. "Whatever. I'll be back later." Don said walking out. I couldn't imagine why he was acting like this. All I did was ask one simple question and it turns into this. My stomach growled something serious and I decided to head down to the kitchen.

"Oh, hey Nana." I said once I entered the kitchen. "That was some yelling you two were doing and he walked out of here pretty pissed." "Yeah." I said softly while opening the fridge. "I don't want to know about it. That's y'all business and Nana is no good at giving any advice." she laughed. "Hey baby. Don't you go crying on me." she pulled me into her and tightly hugged me. "I'm not crying." I sniffed. "You ain't fooling nobody. Eat you some food, stop stressing and get some rest. My great grand doesn't need to go through you stressing. You'll end up in early labor."

"I know you don't want to give any advice but can I ask you one thing?" I gave Nana puppy dog eyes when I saw that she was about to reject my question. "I asked him why he didn't show me his childhood home. I mean, I know he still has it only because he said he didn't plan on taking me. I left it alone though and then later getting dressed he snapped on me. I only asked why he didn't want me putting on jeans and I guess that's when you heard the yelling."

"Is it something about the house or anything?" I asked looking at her as she shifted in the chair opposite me. "This is really something that you should be asking him Britni. But I understand that you don't want to set him off." she paused. "It just holds bad memories for him and I'm sure he will tell you soon." I just nodded and got up to wash my bowl.

Three in the morning and I was still laying in the bed alone. Had I known that this was how coming to New York would be then I wouldn't have come. It sucked to be laying here in a bed and home that wasn't mine while my boyfriend was out doing who knows what. My ringing phone messed up my thoughts. "Hello?" "Twin. Are you okay?" Ant's voice came through. "I'm good Ant." I told him. "Yeah right. We will talk when you get back." "Goodnight twin, I love you." I tried rushing off the phone. He chuckled a bit. "Goodnight Brit."

Minutes later, Don came walking in. I could smell the weed and liquor on him. Silently I watched as he stripped down to his boxers before climbing in the bed with me. It wasn't long before I felt him slip his hands into my shorts. "No, Adonis. I'm not having sex with you." I said in a stern voice removing his hand. "Come on B." He tried again.

"No. Now cut it out." I whispered harshly. "So now you holding out on me?" He asked making me give him a look of disgust. Just from the slight moonlight coming through I knew he saw it. "I'm not holding out. This isn't our house and lower your voice before Nana hears you in here tripping over not getting no pussy."

For about five minutes the game of me pushing him away from me went on. Up until I pushed him and he fell off the bed. "What the fuck is your problem?" he asked once he was back up on the bed. "You are. Get your ass up on this bed and go to sleep. Don't fucking touch me, don't say nothing else to me until morning comes and your head is clear."

"Over there drunk and high out your damn mind, trying to make it like something is wrong with me. Nigga you've obviously lost your sense tonight. My fat ass over here worrying and getting the shit kicked out of me while you having a good time. Fuck that." I said pulling the covers up over me.

I never fell asleep and I knew Don didn't either. I allowed him to pull me closer even though I told him not to touch me but I knew he didn't know I was awake.

"You up?" he checked. "Guess not because you told me not to touch or speak to you. I'm sorry baby. I really am. You asking me that question earlier set me off and I wasn't trying to blame you for bringing it up. It just happened and..." He stopped speaking. "I'd rather tell you when you're awake. There's no point in me having to say it twice."

Whatever it was, had to be serious because I felt something wet on my shoulder. It didn't take a rocket scientist to know that he was crying. Wanting so bad to turn and wipe them away, I didn't. I just lay there silent and unmoved while he poured his tears onto my shoulder. It was then that I knew that there was still a bunch of learning about Adonis that I needed to do. He knew everything about me yet I so little about him. There was a reason for that and I was going to get down to the bottom of it. I just hoped that he would allow me to and knew it would take some time.

--I'm not too happy with this chapter but it had to happen to get more into Adonis' life... I will try and update once more before Christmas or the day after depending on if I'm done packing for my trip or not..which I probably won't have done (I like to procrastinate HEAVY)