Thirty Nine

In the back of my mind I knew that it was going to happen. I knew that Renee would pull a move on Adonis, I just knew it. Don knew it also which is why he took that drive to New York and continued to ask me if I had his back. The thing was he shouldn't have had to ask. We were one and what he went through, I went through and the other way around.

Late Sunday night when we both were laying in bed enjoying one another's company after a movie and a dinner date. The knock sounded on the door, my heart skipped a beat. Two officers were there with a warrant issued for Don's arrest. Reason for him being arrested: Domestic violence.

Now, I know that all he did was choke her. We all knew it but for some reason or another Renee showed up at the police station she was far from choked. Her eyes were blacked, lips swollen with small cuts on her cheeks. What got me was the markings on her body; arms, legs, back and all over. Either she is a beast at makeup or her boyfriend was kicking her ass.

All I knew was that the second this crazy bitch dropped her baby, I was going to be kicking her high yellow ass. I didn't care. I didn't care. I DID NOT FUCKING CARE!

The front door of my parents house opened and my dad stepped in. As soon as I saw him I was up off the couch. "Daddy, what happened? Did Don go home because clearly he isn't behind you." I asked immediately before he could take his coat off. "Sit down Britni." I pouted and sat Indian style on the couch waiting for him to speak. My eyes followed him as he walked over to his chair and sat. "Daddy, talk." I said when I realized that he wasn't speaking.

"I couldn't post bail. I tried to but they weren't budging and because it's a supposed domestic violence charge he will be sitting in that cell until there is a trial. I don't know how long it can take, it can be days, weeks, months and maybe years. Even if this girl drops the charges the state of Pennsylvania will still keep their charges and there may be a chance Don will be upstate for a year, maybe more. We just have to see how it all plays out- wait Britni, get back here." I heard his footsteps rushing behind me.

"Britni," He grabbed me just as I got to the bottom of the porch steps. "Get your ass back in that house right the fuck now!" I was afraid. My dad never yelled or swore at me. I quickly went back up the steps and into the house. "Now you know you can't see him tonight." I folded my arms across my chest. "Daddy, I wasn't going to the jail house." "Well you had to be because I know damn well you wasn't taking your black ass to that girls house." I looked down but didn't say anything. "So that's where you were going? To fight a pregnant woman? So you could be locked up too?"

"Daddy! You don't understand. I just want to hurt her the way that she took part in hurting me. I stressed almost my entire pregnancy because of her coming with that your man is my baby's father bullshit. I couldn't be happy with that news and now she comes with whatever news she had the other night and Don snapped. No, he didn't beat her but he did choke her. And now she comes and has him taken away from not only me but his son! Junior can't see his father because of her and her damn lies! She couldn't just be happy that I stopped him from choking her and getting her out of the house when I did could she? Could she? No! Now because of her lying on him saying he abused her the way that those pictures say, I won't be laying beside my man or having family moments with him and our son. It's bullshit and you know it. So yes, I would fight her but I have the sense to do the shit after she drops that bastard child." I huffed sitting back in the chair.

"Okay I know you're mad but you better watch how you talk to me little girl. I'll beat your ass and won't think twice about it. And you think I don't understand? Do you not know what I went through with Stephanie and your mother? It's not like this situation but it's pretty fucking close! It's not the end of the world and had Adonis kept dick in his pants and his hands to himself we wouldn't be going through this now would we?" He yelled the last part. "You- you think that he actually beat her up?" I questioned. My dad just sat there not saying anything. "You do, your silence is telling me that. Daddy you know he isn't an abusive man and for you to think that it's just I don't know, it's not right."

I stood up and walked to the door saying a quiet goodbye. I made it all the way to my car before realizing that I forgot my kid. Kicking my front bumper I turned and entered the house once more going up the stairs to my parents room where my mom was standing over Junior's portable crib, watching him sleep. "Mommy, can you get him dressed while I get his bag ready so we can go?"

"Britni I'm not doing that. You can go but you aren't taking my grandson with you." I looked at her as if she had two heads. "I'll do it myself then." I mumbled while going to gather his belongings. "No you won't. You're angry and I'm not going to let you drive or care for him while you are like this." She said in a stern voice before snatching the diaper bag out of my grasp. "I'm not even angry, you think that I am. Just give me my son so that I can leave Ma, damn. I already have to be home without Don and now you expect me to leave my baby and be even more lonely at home? No I'm not doing that!" I cried out.

I zipped the bag up and went back to my parents room where my mom was blocking me entry. "Mommy," I sighed. "Move please." She wouldn't budge. "I just want my baby, move now." We just stared at one another before I tried to push past her. "Derek! Come get your daughter!" My mom yelled.

My dad came up the stairs and grabbed me. I wasn't mad before but I was feeling some type of way now. "Just get off of me!" I yelled bucking my body in his arms. Daddy pulled his hands off of me. "Who are you to not let me take MY child with me? I carried him for nine months and was in labor fourteen hours and I can't?" I was pacing back and forth like a mad woman.

"This is why, you can't stay calm. Look at you!" My dad said. I stopped all movement before looking back and forth between my parents. "Okay, fine!" I threw the diaper bag into my mom and she caught it. "Fuck it. Keep him and don't think that I'm abandoning my son because I'm not. I'll be back."

I skipped down the steps and out of the house to my car. I pulled off and drove home. By the time I got to my house Anthony was calling. "Hello?" I answered. "Are you fucking kidding me! You cursing at Mommy and Daddy? Please tell me they're ly-" I didn't hear the rest of what he had to say because I hung up and powered the phone off.

I didn't want to hear anything, I was pissed beyond measure.

--- It's short, I know. I'm too tired to continue typing. Once this crappy flu is fully gone I'll update the rest.