53| Starry night

"We should go back now," Megan said, looking behind her at the footprints she and Taehyung had left in the snow.

Because of their snowshoes, it looked like a giant bear or some kind of dinosaur had walked there.

"I want to go to that one place," replied a decisive Taehyung in front of her.

Megan sighed, but turned around, following him in between the trees. The sun was still shining through the fir branches, but the pink and purple sky was a clear indication that soon it would be dark.

The girl, bitterly looking at the heavens, thought that the last thing she wanted was to get stuck in the middle of the forest at night. Even with her big winter coat and her insulated trousers she knew that she wouldn't last long if it got dark.

However, Taehyung didn't show any sign of slowing down. He walked resolutely, his snowshoes brutally piercing the thin layer of ice to sink in the soft snow underneath.

Megan, tired of following him mindlessly, stopped walking and bent down to reach the snow at her feet. With her hands wrapped in her thick mittens, she started to gather the white matter to mold a ball. The snow was a little bit too powdery to make a real sphere and she ended up just pressing a weird snow shape together, the size of a big orange. Standing up and stretching her arm, she threw the snowball at Taehyung.

It exploded in the back of his neck, covering his scarf with shiny snowflakes. He immediately turned around, and his dark blue eyes sent Megan a lethal glare. The girl, waiting for him to crack a smile, smirked at him, but to her surprise, he simply turned back around, continuing his walk through the forest with a serious expression.

"Oh come on! Are you really mad now?" Megan complained, losing her smile.

She just didn't get what was up with Taehyung's attitude. He had practically kidnapped her so she would come and hike with him but hadn't said a word since they had left. The girl was getting sick of walking randomly in this forest, where there was nothing to see except for the endless rows of skinny grey conifers, which all looked alike, and for a second, she considered leaving him walk to the mysterious place he was talking about alone and going back to the cabin without him.

"Taehyung? I'm hungry! Let's go back!" she grumbled in another attempt to make him turn around.

Suddenly, Megan felt her snowshoe getting stuck underneath a tree root. She just had the time to put her hands in front of her face before gravity pulled her to the ground and she ungracefully ended up falling face first. Luckily, the snow absorbed most of the shock, but her left knee hit a hidden rock underneath the thick layer of white and she hissed in pain at the sensation of her kneecap colliding with the frozen stone.

Megan, still hurting, her whole body sinking in the snow, managed to turn on her back. She then tried to get rid of her snowshoe, which was still stuck under the root. However, in her big coat and pants, she felt like a huge baby, incapable of bending enough to get to her ankle. With a sigh, she gave up and simply laid there, her eyes darted on the purple sky above her head.

She heard the sound of footsteps near her ear, and a head suddenly entered her field of view, two cobalt orbs transfixing her.

"You ok?" Taehyung snorted.

Megan, frustrated to be in such an embarrassing position, decided to not answer that question.

Taehyung sighed, eyes softening a little as he reached out for her snowshoe. In a second, he freed her from the root and took her hand, pulling her to her feet. He then proceeded to swipe her coat with his glove to remove the snow that had clung to the material, and Megan thought it was a nice move.