52| Cabin

"This place is awesome!" exclaimed Megan, her sleepy eyes eagerly roaming the room.

Hoseok's parents had bought the cabin from a family friend some years ago. It was an old, medium-sized lodge with two floors and 4 bedrooms. Everything was made of a brownish-orange wood, from the floors to the kitchen counters and in the living room, a bonfire in an impressive stone fireplace, was already warming up the room.

Alice dropped her suitcase in the middle of the living room, thinking that Hoseok was lucky to have both a house and a cabin. At the moment, she had neither and was basically homeless, the thought itself sounding so ridiculous in her head that she didn't realize it fully just yet.

Not that she would ever want to live in a place where once, the bath had been full of body parts.

Maybe I could ask Hoseok if I could borrow this place and just live here forever like a hermit, she thought, her mind wandering away as a deep weariness took over her body, enough to make her close her eyes still standing in the middle of the place.

"Shotgun for the biggest bedroom!" exclaimed Jimin, running from the front door the stairs without even removing his coat.

"Also shotgun for the biggest bedroom!" exclaimed Taehyung, running after him.

"I'm not bunking with you! You always kick me in you sleep," yelled Jimin from the second floor.

Maybe Alice would have laughed if she wasn't already falling asleep on the couch.

"Come on!" grumbled Megan, grabbing the girl's arm to lead her to another part of the cabin.

To the left of the kitchen was another small corridor leading to two bedrooms and a bathroom. The two girls chose the room in the back and dropped their luggage on the floor, not even bothering to switch on the light as they put on their pyjamas. Alice dumped herself on the queen-size bed and was asleep before Megan could even suggest they should brush their teeth.

***

The next morning, Alice was woken up by the smell of coffee and toasted bread, making her stomach rumble.

She stirred in her slumber, opening her eyes with difficulty and for a moment she was completely disoriented when she didn't recognize her surroundings at all. Quickly, she sat up in the bed, looking around her with curiosity.

The bedroom was small. The walls were made of the same orange wooden logs as the rest of the cottage and smelled like fir sap and mothballs. Other than the bed, a large mirror and a big wooden chest were the only furniture around. The sun was shining through the curtains and the little slit of the outside that Alice could see in between the drapes was so bright and white that she immediately diverted her gaze. Megan was nowhere to be seen, which wasn't unusual given that she always woke up rather early.

Alice pushed her legs away from the scratchy sheets and put on Megan's hoodie before heading to the kitchen. She was famished and the delicious smell of toasted bread didn't help at all.

In the daylight, the inside of the cabin looked completely different from the night before. The white winter light came through large windows, bathing the space in gleeful brightness and the entire space felt open, the only thing separating the kitchen from the living room being a large wooden counter.

Two navy blue couches, a rocking chair and a coffee table surrounded the vast fireplace and a sturdy-looking black table near the entrance composed the dining room.

Jin was at the stove, turning eggs in a small pan, and narrowing his eyes at the task. Behind him, Namjoon was sitting at the counter, devouring the content of his plate with enthusiasm. Jimin and Hoseok were both in the living room, sitting directly on the carpeted floor and playing a card game on the coffee table.