28| Caught in a lie

There was a lot of high-fives and pats in the back given, sweaty handshakes, and wide smiles from her teammates as they congratulated Alice for her race and she did the same, mixing into the crowd of girls that had just finished running. All of them were red-cheeked and happy, blood still pumping fast in their veins and legs all muddy. That was until Alice reached Jungkook, set back from the crowd and looking at her with a grin.

"Congratulation" he said, a bunny smile creeping on his lips, "You did really good."

Megan rubbed the girl's shoulder, beaming.

"Right? My girl's amazing!"

Alice took another sip of water, and she couldn't not smile at her two friends. Now that it was all over and the nausea was gone, the girl felt fucking amazing. With the endorphins pumping in her veins and the rest of the adrenaline still lingering in her system, she felt like she was high; slightly numbed except for the dull heat of her muscles and her lungs.

"Thanks a lot for cheering for me!"

Jungkook shifted his weight on his feet and glared at her like he was uncomfortable.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" he asked, looking down at his feet.

Something felt off about his behavior. He had his hands buried in the pocket of his hoodie and kept a good distance with her, eyes looking back every few seconds like he was scared of being caught.

Alice followed his gaze and caught sight of the rest of his coven. Jimin was leaning against a tree, starring under his shades while Taehyung had his arms crossed on his chest, peering at them. Namjoon, Jin, Hoseok, and Yoongi were chatting together, sometimes glancing their way for a few seconds before turning away.

They were clearly spying on them and Alice assumed that it was the reason why Jungkook was keeping his distances. She understood. They disapproved of their friendship, just like Megan with her at first.

"Yeah sure, come with me," conveyed Alice and to her surprise Jungkook grabbed her hand, letting her lead him away from the crowd.

His fingers were hot and dry against her freezing palm and Alice couldn't stop herself and glared behind her shoulder, wondering if the rest of his coven was still looking. She immediately met Yoongi's eyes, sharp and inscrutable and the girl felt herself blush, heat creeping down her neck as she looked away, feeling her breath halting.

The main building wasn't too far, and they soon walked through the wooden doors, entering the warmth of the inside and evading the glares of the outside. Jungkook then pulled her close.

"Come here," he said, sneaking his arms around her shoulders to hug her thin frame, holding her tightly.

Alice, surprised by this sudden surge of affection didn't dare say a word, gluing herself to his chest and hugging him back.

"You're amazing, you know that, right?" he whispered in her ear and the girl shot her eyes open, wondering what was up with him.

She looked up at him and met his coffee orbs, full of tenderness and something that made Alice's heart drop in her shoes. She quickly pulled away, sending him an awkward smile and feeling herself blush.

"Huh – I'm all sweaty and muddy," she said wiping her palms on her shorts, "We should go back, your turn is coming soon, and you're the team captain, you should be there."

Jungkook narrowed his eyes a little but he laughed it off, running a hand through his unruly hair.

"The least you can do is give me a good luck kiss before I go."