53.

I let us in, dropping our bags by the washing machine like I always did. I watched her walk around the apartment, probably checking what had changed. It was then I noticed Emma's stuff hadn't gone as she'd promised. My heart dropped into my feet. I'd never told her anything about Emma.

'My ex was living here, she still needs to come get her stuff.' I explained as she looked at the candles and pictures on the walls. 'She said she'd be here while I was away...' I muttered. A silence passed and I stood there with my hands sort of swinging by my sides. Empty without her in them. 'Tea?'

She turned to me and giggled.

'Tea would be nice.' She eventually said. She took a seat at the breakfast bar where we'd had many laughs and conversations over food. Things felt a little painful, strained. We hadn't actually spent any time together alone without being undressed. Now we were here in our old home and I was worried that the next few days would drag awkwardly. We hadn't actually spoken about her coming to mine. It had just sort of happened. I wasn't even too sure why she wanted to stay with me. Surely she was sick of the sight of me? Not that I was complaining...

I handed her the cup and we sat besides each other in silence, sipping away.

'Sooooo.' I whistled.

'Good tea.' She commented.

'Yeah, I get it from this shop round the corner that sells imported tea and coffee.' God I sounded pathetic.

'I'll have to go check it out.'

'We can go today if you like?'

'Maybe.' She gave me a sly little look. 'Or we could just go upstairs and fuck?' Her words made me spit out my tea. This was a side to her I'd never seen. She'd always been so shy and composed. She had arrived in my life a broken woman after years of beatings, verbal and mental abuse. But this beautiful, strong woman was not the girl I'd met on the train. And it made me love her even more.

Love? Was that what this was? Because I hadn't felt like this before. I thought I had. I thought I'd loved Laura, Emma, Lily. But this was something else. Lust? Passion? Thrill?

I abandoned my tea and picked her up from the stool, cradling her in my arms, our mouths locked together. As I climbed the stairs I kicked off my shoes and she did the same. Clothes were scattered from the kitchen all the way to the bed, where we collapsed down in erotic bliss.