Chapter 23: Summertime Past-ness

I lifted my head to the sky as the smoldering sun blared down on me.  I missed several things about Georgia including the warm weather.  North Carolina had been fun, but I was back home and I was happy to be here.  I stepped out of the passengers side of the car and stretched.

My eyes fell to my house in joy.  I was so happy to be home and away from the drama that I left in North Carolina. Like my father and his bogus ass wife.  Even though we tried to bond it didn't work. I found myself hating him. I couldn't stop the hot buring hate boiling inside of me as a result of his selfishness.

Mindlessly my eyes drifted over to the house next door.

Kayla.

Without saying anything to my mother I began to walk over to her yard.  I didn't know what pushed me or why I did it, but I found myself standing on her porch with my hand raised to knock on her door. 

Taking a deep calming breath I knocked. Several seconds passed with me standing there holding my breath on her front porch with my hands fisted at my side waiting nervously. I didn't know how she would react or if there would even be a reaction. Would she jump into my arms and kiss me or would she dismiss me or maybe hit me? I didn't know, but all thoughts came to a halt when the door came swinging open and she wasn't standing there.

"Uh, What's up?" The guy asked, peering at me in annoyance.

I cock a brow and glance pass him into the house in hopes of catching a glimpse of Kayla, but I didn't see her.

"May I help you?" The guy asks gaining my attention.

My eyes drifted back to him and I frown," Is Kayla here?"

"Yeah, but I'm pretty positive she doesn't want to talk to you," he tells me.

"And why would you assume that?"

"Because you're Landon.  She wants nothing to do with you dude. Just let her go."

"And who are?" I question.

"Oh I didn't introduce myself, I'm Greyson." He stuck his hand out for me to shake it. I glanced down at it, but don't shake it.  Who the fuck did this dude think he was?

When I don't move to shake his hand he pulls away and smirks.

"You should probably leave," he recommends and I shake my head.

"You really don't get it do you? I'm going to see Kayla. I'll walk pass you right now and go inside.  You can't stop me." I give him a bored look and attempt to move pass him, but he steps into my way.

"Are you sure about that?" He stares at me challenging me. Before I could respond a soft surprised voice said my name.

My eyes dart pass him to a short slender figure peeking over his shoulder. "You're back?" She asks, her brows pulling together in confusion. 

"Yeah." I give her a smile seeing how she completely ignored the guy preventing me from seeing her and staring intently at me.

"You look... The same."

"Yeah," I chuckle lightly and then watch as she slipped pass the guy and stood in front of me. "I'm seventeen now so that changed."

She smiled and turned to the guy," I see you've met Greyson. He's a friend I met at Parker's party, Actually he's Parker's cousin. "

"Parker? I forgot how he looks it feels like forever since I've seen him... You."

"Well I am the same ol' Kayla."  She glanced down at herself in a meager manner as if she wasn't fucking gorgeous.