Chapter 26:The Sun

Kayla's POV

There's certain things you just shouldn't lie about. Like your mortality.

I laid my head on my knees as I hugged them to my chest. I had been sitting in my room for hours contemplating having another conversation with my dad and thinking about how I was going to handle the entire situation if I was to have a conversation with my dad.

There was a knock at my room door and instead of answering them with a "come in" I responded back with a loud annoyed groan.

My door opened and my mom sauntered through slowly as she eyed me. She was just as deceitful as my father. She, on the other hand, did it to protect my feelings. Although I was angry that she'd go to this point to do so I wasn't THAT angry.

"Honey, can we talk about your father?" She asks, slowly easing my room door close. The door clicked shut and she came to sit on my bed beside me. I crashed back on my bed, my eyes darting to the ceiling. I knew what she was going to say. I'm -

"I'm sorry," she murmured.

"For what?" I respond softly. My eyes fell to her. She looked sad. She looked like she'd spent the whole night up and stressing over something she probably shouldn't have been stressing over. My dad.

Her eyes were red from the lack of sleep and they held dark bags. Her hair was unlike it's usually neat self. She had opted for a tired, messy and distressed bun. No makeup which was also strange. She looked so tired and wary that I felt bad for her.

"For lying to you. I shouldn't have. He's alive." She sighed harshly. "That bastard is alive. "

"He's alive," I repeat her words back to her as they sink in for the both of us. "He told me he left because he was young."

"Which he was, but I was also young and I loved you. I love you and I wanted to keep you because despite the fact that I was young you were a part of me Kayla."

"Mom -"

"Kayla you're everything to me. I can't imagine a life without you and I don't want to."

I sat up and flung myself onto my mother, engrossing her in a warm loving hug. She sniffled and I came to realize that she was crying. I leaned back to look at her.

"Mom why are you crying?" She quickly moved to wipe away her tears.

"I'm just so happy that I got to know you. That you're my daughter," she laughed. "He will not ruin you. He may have left but he will not ruin you."

"I should be saying that for you," I reply stoically. "He didn't leave me, mom. He left us and it wasn't your fault. It wasn't my fault. It was his fault. Even if he's back he won't be the thing that breaks us. He won't leave us broken again. We're the sun. "

"We need to cut back on the Shonda Wonderland. " My mom laughed at her own joke. "I love you."

I smile. "I love you, too." I leaned over and gave her a hug.

***

I stood outside of Landon's bedroom door with my hand poised to knock. Landon was there for me. I would have never guessed in a million years, two years ago, that Landon would be the one person that would be there for me but he was.

I let my fist land on the door, radiating a loud knock. The door flew open and Landon stood there with absolutely nothing but boxer shorts on.

"Kayla I wasn't expecting you," he said, the corners of his mouth curling up into a smile. "But I'm happy you're here. "

He grabbed me and pulled me into his bedroom before closing the door behind us.

"Landon I wanted to talk to you,"I murmur.

"Oh no, sounds like you're breaking up with me." He released me from his grasp and took a couple of steps back.

"You're not my sun. I am the sun. You're not someone I thought I'd ever be with. About two years ago I thought you were an asshole. I thought you were the most intolerable person I had ever met -"

"This little speech isn't appeasing me much, Kayla."

I smiled and took his hand. "You may not be my sun, but you're the love of my life. You're like my breath. I want to be that couple that stays together after high school. You're there for me. You're there for me when I don't think that I need anyone but in reality I need someone and you're there."

I lick my lips and look up at him, "You're not an asshole. You're not intolerable, but you are a person. You're my person. You're the person that I never thought I wanted but I'm so glad that I have. You're my person. You may not be my sun but you're my breath. You're my breath, you're my heart and I love you."

I watch as his smile slowly began to form. "I love you too Kayla even if I'm not your sun."

He grabbed me yanking me towards him and smashed his lips to mine.

"Thank you." I say as we pulled apart. "Thank you."

Landon's POV

I found myself at the basket ball court dribbling balls and shooting hoops, alone.

This week had been shit.

For Kayla and I, both. For me because my girlfriend was going through something severely traumatic and despite the fact that I wanted to be there for her I just didn't know what to do for her.

I sighed, grabbing the ball and walked over to the benches where I took a seat. I glanced out towards the court.

"I've always liked basketball, but I can't play worth a shit," Kayla giggled, attempting to dribble the ball but failing miserably. The ball bounced from her hand and rolled over towards the bleachers.

"You suck Kayla," I teased her before jogging over to retrieve the ball.

She stuck her tongue out," and you eat ass."

"You haven't complained. " I winked at her andshe wrinkled her nose.

"No. Landon. That has never been a thing so shut your face."

I chuckled and began dribbling the ball. She jumped in front of me, her attempt at blocking me.

"Kayla... you suck. Just stop."

"You're an ass," she growled and slapped the ball out of my hands. She grabbed it beforr I could do so and proceeded to shoot it through the hoop. "Who sucks now sucka?"

She started dancing and I grabbed her, throwing her over my shoulder. I gave her ass a nice slap resulting in what sounded like a mixture of a yelp and a giggle. With her over my shoulder I strolled over to the benches and took a seat before pulling her into my lap.

"You're cute."

"You're right," she responded with a satisfied smile.

"You're perfect, but you have such an ego."

"I got big ego, you love my hig ego," she sang running her hands through my hair.

If only days were like that. I shook my brief day dream off and sighed heavily. I was just glad I could be there for her.

So I'm really into Grey's Anatomy right now. :)