Chapter 31: Infinity x Infinity

Join me in introducing the class of 2017.

Cheers.

Hats.

Hugs.

Reality was setting in and unfortunately it was hitting me harder than I had expected it to. High school had been quite the roller coaster ride and it was over.  There was a tap on my shoulder and as soon as I turned around Landon planted a kiss to my lips.

"Hey." He says as he moved away just enough so that we would remain touching. "How ya feeling?" He reached out to rub my forearm.

Casually, I lift my shoulders in a shrug. How was I suppose to feel?
We both had decided to attend two different colleges and the moment of departure was nearing us.

It was a tough decision but I knew we could survive a little bit of distance.  After all we loved each other. My heart ached at the thought of Landon and I not surving. It was all scary. Not only was I embarking on a long distance relationship I, also would no longer have my mom to be there.

"It's weird," I reply in a flat tone. Taking a deep breath I continued,  " What if this long distance shit dpesnt work out?"

He cocked a brow before grabbing my shoulders and looking me in my eyes, "Kayla, it'll work as long as we try. Dont give up on us so easily. I love you."

His words didn't really put my nerves at ease but it did result in a smile. He took notice to my reservations and pulled me into his arms for a hug. The crowd had somewhat dispersed and my mom managed to find us along with Landon's parents. As they approached Landon released me from his embrace and turned around in the direction they were coming from.

I could feel Landon tense up as the slowly made their way towards us. "You've gotta be kidding me, " I heard him mutter under his breath. In an effort to soothe him I take his hand and squeeze it to reassure him that I was there for him.

"My boy!" His fathers brooding voice rang loud in our ears as he enveloped Landon in a hug.  A very, very stiff and one sided hug.

"I'm so proud of you honey!" Landon's mom came next, giving Landon a hug as well just as his father released him.

"What is he doing here?" Landon spat towards his father, his gaze boring into him. If looks could kill.

"Landon I wasn't going to miss your graduation. You're my only child." His father frowned sadly
Sighing his mother attempted to take Landon's hand, but he quickly snatched it away so she couldn't touch him.

"No," he growled, before turning around and walking away. After learning about his mother and father Landon hadn't spoken to his mother since. I understood his anger, but I also knew how close him and his mother were and the fact that they weren't speaking was not sitting right with me.

"Landon." I grab his arm halting him in the middle of his dramatic walk off. He turned around so that he could look down at me. His face was bright red sand he continuously clenched and unclenched his jaws so I could he was really pissed. I had never seen Landon so angry and I didn't like seeing it. I take my hands and rub them up and down his arms attempting to calm him down.  "Look, Landon. You have every right to be upset with your parents. Soon you're going to go off and you're not going to get to see your mom for a while."

I pause gazing into his eyes waiting for his expression to change slightly, but it didn't. He remained statuesque and angry. "She loves you. She had a weak moment. He was the love of her life. He was her first love, cut her some slack." 

Finally, his shoulders relaxed and his face began to settle until he no longer looked as though he was going to strangle someone. "You're right," he murmurs softly. I smile and give him a long hug, rubbing his back gently.