Chapter 30: Prom Night

What an unfortunate turn of events? I glared at the ceiling fan my eyes following the wings as the turned in a circle slowly. My mind was consumed with visions of my parents together and it only pissed me off more than I already was.

Most kids would be extremely excited to see their parents reunited, but I wasn't one of those kids. My parents were toxic for each other, mainly my father.

How could my mother run back into the arms of the man who left her for someone else? The mere thought drove me to grind my teeth together as my entire body became overwhelmed with anger.

There was a knock at door but I chose to ignore it because I knew exactly who it would be. Without waiting for my approval to enter my room the door came open and my mother stood there.

Her face was replete with guilt as it should be.

"Landon, we need to talk," she says softly. When I don't respond she steps into my room and sighs. "Your father and I --"

"You know mom," I intercede sitting up in my bed so that I could look her directly in her eyes. "I'm more upset with than I am with him. For him this is nothing new, but you..." I trail off shaking my head flabbergasted. "Why would you help him cheat on his wife? I don't like her, but mom you're better than this." My mouth settles into a line as I gazed at her awaiting her response.

"Landon they're separated," she tries to explain to me.

"Mom, he left you for her. He's not a changed man because if he was he wouldn't be fucking you while he's still married."

"Landon," she snapped her looking guilt being replaced by a look of anger. "I shouldn't be explaining myself to you. You're my child. I am your mother and you don't have to be okay with this, but you will eventually get over it." She narrowed her eyes before continuing," I know what he did to me! I have thought about it since he's done it. I'm sorry I'm not perfect. I'm not proud of myself, but I'm not going to beat myself about the decisions I'm making. " She pointed her index finger at her chest. "I've always loved your father. It's not as easy as you think it is Landon."

"Mom," I begin my voice dropping as concern for her engulfed me. "If I thought for one second that he wasn't going to hurt you again I'd be all for it, but he is and he will."

Her face dropped in disappointment. I knew that wasn't what she wanted to hear but it was only the truth. She needed to hear this.

Without another word she turned on her heels and stormed out of my room.

***

"Bitch ya Poppin," Alyssa compliments taking in my hair. I had decided on a silk press for prom straightening my naturally curly hair. I swung my head around letting my shoulder length hair sweep around my shoulders.

I smiled at her,"Like fire works on the 4th of July." We both burst out in laughter.

"So where are you going to eat?" She asks me.

I shrug my shoulder unknowingly. Landon had the entire night planned out and I had no idea what he was planning on doing -- or pulling -- considering that I knew how Landon was.

"If I'm being honest, I'd rather not go to dinner or anything. I'm fine just grabbing a bite at home."

My door came flying open Landon storming through the doorway disrupting my time with Alyssa. I was well prepared to give him a piece of my mind, but the look on his face shut me up. He had been reserved since yesterday and I hadn't even heard from him.

I had been worries, but I had thought it was just Landon planning out prom for us. Now seeing him I had regretted my choice to forgo checking up on him.