Chapter 21: Apology

"Alyssa -"I start but the sound of her angrily laughing halts the entire conversation.

"Shut the fuck up. I'm not here to have a conversation with you. I'm not calling you to ask you how your day is going nor do I care. I'm calling you to tell you exactly this, I'm going to castrate you. I'm going to cut your nuts off. You see I say crazy shit like to people that fuck with my bestfriend and you sir have fucked with my bestfriend," she snaps.

I sigh heavily prepared to sit through an excruciating lecture on how I hurt her best friend.

"Don't you fucking sigh. Don't you fucking breath. I told you Landon that I was going to burn you alive if you ever hurt her and that day has come, you hurt her. At this moment I'm packing a motherfuckin' bag so that I can catch an early flight to motherfuckin' North Carolina and then I'm going to buy a can of gasoline and a lighter and I'm dousing your fucking father's house and then setting that bitch aflame. I don't care who's inside as long as you are."

"Whoa that's a little harsh don't you think?"

"Harsh, Landon, honey, sweetheart, you have not seen harsh yet. You have never seen me harsh, but pendejo you're about to see another level of crazy."

"I don't understand why you're mad at me, she broke up with me," I say dubiously.

"I know, but she came to you. She apologized, I had to sit through several drunken conversations about how she doesn't believe in love anymore because of you. How she blames you dumping her on herself? She cries a lot Landon, she told me that she just wanted you to love her and because you don't it's obvious that you were right that love really doesn't exist." She pauses and silences fills the air.

I had listened to everything that she had just told me. I had digested it. I had felt it. I shook my head and looked down.

"Landon you're lucky. You were special to her. She gave you something she had never given a boy. She didn't talk to guys. She was quiet. She kept to herself, but she trusted you. Yeah, I understand that you don't think you love her, but stop treating her like you never cared at all and then pulling her back in. She's not a fucking toy so don't play with her."

"I didn't know -"

"Yeah, you didn't fucking know. Did you know that she deleted your number and most all of your pictures? She has one picture of you in her phone and it's a picture of you two when you became official. I trusted you, Landon and you fucking let me down. You let her down too. I thought you were a bigger fucking man than that. "

"Alyssa if I can take back some of the things I said..."

"You wouldn't. You gotta be mean sometimes to get results, well congratulations Landon you've gotten the results: You just lost the best thing that has probably ever happened to you and it's because you're a fucking moron. Get your shit together. Call her and apologize to her or I will put your head on a stick and fucking plant it where everyone can see like on Game of Thrones. I will do it. Don't fucking test me. Bye, Landon, Keep what I said in mind." She ended the call I was left standing there speechless. The bristling of the trees briefly distracted me from my thoughts, but almost immediately my mind went back to the situation at hand.

"Ugh," I groaned out loud. "Fuck!" I squeezed my hands shut into a fist. I open my hand and look down at my phone somewhat defeated. I needed to do some much needed thinking. I had been thinking for such a long time. I was surprised that I hadn't come to a conclusion.

I glance down at my phone again and groan. Tapping my contacts I scroll down until I find Kayla's name. I tap talk and lift my hand slowly until the phone was pressed against my ear. Almost immediately after the phone began to ring did it go to voicemail. I frown and redial her number. Voicemail. Pressing end my hand drops to my side and I wait at least four minutes and then I call back.