Chapter 22: New Flame

"Party tonight. Can I count on you?" Alyssa says nudging me.

I sigh and glance away from the board to look at her.  I give her a look that told her I wasn't in the mood for any parties.

"Come on, Kay," she groans in clear frustration. "It'll be fun.  You've been  single for three months you have to get out sooner or later."

"I don't think I need to get out."

"Really?" Alyssa gives me an unconvinced look and then shook her head. "What were you planning to do on this swell Friday night?"

"I have waffle cone ice cream in the fridge and I'm watching Once Upon a time on Netflix."

"Really? BORING. I'm picking you up at seven be fucking ready!" With that said she turned away from me and refaced the board.  I roll my eyes, but internally I was excited.  Landon and I had broken up several months ago and I think I owed it to myself to go out and enjoy life. 

It wasn't like Landon was thinking about me and I didn't blame him.  I mean I did ignore him for a reason.  I wanted him to forget about me and he had done just that. 

When the final bell rung I stood up and prepared to leave. For my seventeenth birthday my mother had finally bought me a car and I was grateful. I couldn't deal with Alyssa's dangerous driving any longer.  My birthday had been a few weeks ago and to my surprise, even though we had stopped all communication with one another, Landon had sent me a gift.  It was season three of glee on DVD. He knew about my obsession with that show and he had actually gotten me a gift even though we had broken up.  It made me both angry and happy.

I didn't know what emotion to feel at this point. I slung my bag over my shoulder and departed from the classroom.  On my way out of the school Hunter stopped me and gave me a smile.

"Hello partner." He smirks and places his arm around my shoulder. "Bud, how was Psychology?"

"Psychology was Psychology. How was Gym?"

"Played basketball," he remarks shrugging his broad shoulders. 

"You going to Parker's party tonight?"

"Yes ma'am I am.  I was wondering if you'd like to be my date."

I paused my mouth turning down into a confused frown,"Uh no. Hunter you're a cool guy and a very good person, but I don't have feeling for you and I don't want anything but friendship."

His face dropped and he seemed disappointed, but it was just how I felt.  I couldn't change that.

"Fine, that's cool, but just know if you get lonely or horny I'm always here,"He tells me his voice dropping to a seductive tone. I chuckle because he knew and I knew if I didn't want him now I probably never will.

"Right," I reply sarcastically and then move his hand off of my shoulder and side step him. "I'll see you later Hunter."

"Okay," he winked at me and I simply shake my head and walk out of the building. It was almost April and the sun was smoldering. I trudge down the staircase and over to my my 2009 Honda accord coupe. I push my keys into my door and unlocked it before opening the door and getting inside. As soon as I got in I plug my phone up to the radio and play my newly favorite song, Dear No one by Tori Kelly. That song spoke to me. I turn the volume up as I pull out of the parking lot of the school. The drive home was quick. I pulled into my driveway spotting Sherrie washing Landon's car. I parked my car in my driveway and got out of the car. 

As soon as I got out of the car Sherrie waved me over and although I felt awkward talking to Landon's mom after we broke up I went over to her anyways.