Chapter 19: Landon's Choice

"Maybe I over reacted.  He's a guy, I mean, ugh..." I groaned turning over as I talked to Alyssa on the phone.

"I'm still a little shocked that he really doesn't love you back," she replied and then the sound of a wrapper being crumbled was heard.

"What are you doing Alyssa?"

"Eating...chocolate."

"Put the candy bar down and talk to me," I say, putting my problems aside to comfort her.

"You have your own problems. You don't need to hear about my shitty love life."

"Lys." I let out a breath of irritation. "Tell me what's wrong.  I'd rather talk about your problems than mine."

"Well, Jake broke up with me.  He went and he fucked some other girl too." I could hear her voice trembling through the receiver. "He said that he just didn't love me anymore."

"Why would he pressure you into accepting his fucking proposal and then pull some shit like this?"

"I don't know, but fuck guys.  They're stupid. Well not all of them, but Jake was.  I should've saw this coming.  I'm too young for him."

"Fuck that dude.  He was a douche anyways. I can't believe this."

"It's fine though.  I've only had about two gallons of ice cream, cookie dough and a couple of chocolate bars, but I'll be fine."

"You'll bounce back.  You're like the prettiest girl in school."

"I know I will bounce back actually. Now, what are you going to do about Landon?"

"Call him.  Apologize to him for taking it so far.  He doesn't have to love me.  He'll learn."

"Eh, I just think it's so bizarre.  It's weird because Landon just seems so in love with you."

"I know, but ...it just hurts you know.  I had put so much thought into it  I don't want to be the only one in love in a relationship.  The moment I told him I loved him I thought about it several times, but I didn't think it would go like that.  Even though we're young I just expected something bigger than just...like, ya know."

"Such great expectations."

"As long as he interested I suppose."

"Yeah..." Alyssa trailed off as we both grew awkward.

"I'll talk to you later, Lys."

"Bye." She ended the call and I let out a long sigh. 

I glanced at my phone noting my recent calls.  Most of my missed calls were from Landon.  I had been ignoring him so that I could think.  I needed to think long and hard about our argument and I had come to the conclusion that I would wait.  It hurt that he didn't feel the same as me and honestly, after the whole argument he probably never would. 

Swallowing, I pressed his name on my phone and hit talk.  Placing the phone to my ear I waited as it rang twice and then his voice answered.

"Kayla," he chirped surprised.

"Hey," I say softly.

"We need to talk," We both began, but stopped.  There was a silence that filled the air and then he spoke, "You go first."

"Uh, okay." I lick my lips and then took a deep calming breath. "I'm sorry –"

"You don't have to apologize."

"I do," I sigh. "I'm sorry about what I said.  I didn't mean any of that.  I was just a little hurt."

"I get that.  I understand why you said those things."