Chapter 8: Problem

Problem -Ariana Grande ft. Iggy Azalea

Kayla's POV

"So why didn't you ride with Landon? " Alyssa asked,  glancing over at me as she drove.  

"It's nothing,  Lys, " I reply facing the window.  I didn't want to talk about Landon.  Everything was about Landon,  I didn't want to think about him.   It had only been a week and I was already pass the point of no return. 

I didn't want to think about him.   Unfortunately with us being next door neighbor it would be harder.  I was silent as Alyssa rambled on and on about her boyfriend that was in the army.

Finally she pulled into the parking lot and parked her car in it's usual space.   Without so much as a good bye I got out of the car and began to walk towards the building.   As I neared the entrance I became nervous.   I didn't know how I would handle the situation with Landon being in so many of my classes.  I knew it was going to be awkward and I wasn't quite ready to see him.

I took a deep breath walking into the building forcing a smile on my face as familiar faces greeted me.

"Hello Kayla Wright, " a suave voice said and then Ryan appeared in front of me.

"Yes,  Ryan?" I ask impatiently. 

"That's not usually the reaction I get from ladies. You're hot Kayla, I'm hot let's be hot together." I cock my brow and move pass him and continued my walk down the hall. I didn't want to endure him hitting on me. That was one of things Landon and I agreed on. We weren't going to try anything with each other's friends, but Landon and I weren't Landon and I anymore.  I walked into my first class and took my seat as usual. 

Alyssa walked in shortly after me and took the seat beside me. "Kayla,  why were speed walking in here? " she asks.

"No reason.  Listen Lys I'm not really in the mood to talk. " She quickly stopped talking,  a hurt look appearing on her face.   Without saying anything else to me she turned around and looked forward.  I didn't want to hurt her feelings,  but I just didn't want to talk about it.

I sigh looking up at my teacher as the bell rang.  The door to the classroom opened and Landon came waltzing in. 

"Mr. Robinson nice to see you're making an effort.   Lets try to be on time next time, " the teacher reprimanded. 

I didn't feel like listening to Landon argue with my teacher so I turned back to my back pack and took out my notebook and a pen.   As soon as I sat up I looked forward directly into Landon's eyes.   There was still something there between us and while I recognized that I didn't want to go there. 

We were done.   I had closed that chapter in my life and it was staying shut.  I tear my gaze away from his and turn towards the board. 

My teacher began to lecure and I zoned out,  thinking about Landon.   I hated thinking about him,  but he was constantly on my mind.

I sat there for the entire hour class period and stared down at my notebook thinking.   When the bell rang I took my time packing up my stuff.   I stood upright and began to walk out of the classroom until Landon's voice stopped me.  I glanced over at him sitting in his desk, confidently.

"Yes? " I ask,  seeming annoyed but overjoyed on the inside.

"Why are you being so cold? I didn't do anything you called it off, " he reminded me.

"I know,  it's just... I don't want... to bring up any weird feelings you know. "

"Kayla even if we don't have benefits we could still be friends right?"