43

KATYA POV:

I slowly inched off Trixie and helped her stand up. She quickly wiped her face in the mirror and pulled me in for another hug before she opened the door and kept her distance again.

We got down to the dining and everyone was already sat. Val noticed Trixie puffy red eyes but did nothing.

" you ladies are late." Dane scolded as we sat.

" I'm sorry something came up." I gritted throwing a glance to Val that she avoided. Judy took notice and gave me a questioning look that I brushed off mouthing " later."

" the only thing that should make you late to dinner is prayer, were you repenting your sins Beatrice?"

" No." Trixie mumbled pushing her now cold peas around her plate.

" tsk tsk don't make me have to re teach you manners Beatrice. And Katya there is still time left for you too, you can repent your sinful ways as well." Dane spoke looking up at me.

" no thank you." I said politely.

" hell is not as glamorous as hollywood makes it seem miss Zamo."

" I don't belive I'll be going to hell." I replied cooly, trying to be unbothered.

" and why is that? Do you not believe what you are doing is sinful." Dane asked placing down his knife and fork giving me his full attention. He was having a standoff with me right now, in the middle of dinner.

" No hell for me to go to if I don't belive it exists, same goes for heaven." I spoke copying his actions and placing my knife and fork down.

By now everyone had stopped eating. Trixie was watching me closley fear in her eyes. Judy looked just as scared but also excited, excited to see someone finally stand up to Dane. Val looked scared but not for the same reasons as Trixie and Judy. She has bigger stakes in this. If he loses she's the one getting beat.

" well in this house we believe in god and we belive in forgiveness, no matter how lost your soul is Katya it is my job to pray for you and hope you chose the right path so, we will be saying grace." Dane spoke.

" But dad we already started eat-" Judy started.

" Enough Judy." Dane cut her off with a sharp glare.

As he stared I let go of Judy and Trixie's hands. Usually I would try to be respectful of ther peoples religion and beliefs but Dane was using his as an excuse to abuse his family so all my respect was gone.

As Val said grace Dane opened his eyes and looked to me. He expected me to fold and say grace but I leaned back in my cahir my arms folded over my chest with a smirk. He gritted his teeth and closed his eyes again pretending to care about what his wife rambled on about.

After grace was said dinner was silent. The air in the room was tense and so was everone at the table. Val kept glancing at the clock waiting for it to be 11:00 pm.

Dinner was done and the dishes were done by Judy and Trixie, Dane trying to exlude me so her could corner me on purpose. I knew his game so I picked up the phone and called Alexie. I spoke to him in Russian wishing him a happy holidays ect.

At the sound of my thick Russian accemt Dane back off and ran away to his living room like the little coward he is.

" hey is everything okay?" Trixie asked coming up behind me.

" yea why?" I asked turning to face seeing the worry etched into her face.

" well you were speaking Russian. You only speak Russian when something is wrong." Trixie stated.

" Oh." Was all I could say. I never noticed that but its true, the only time I ever speak Russian is when I'm arguing with Alexie or yelling at my father. " well no nothing was wrong this time, I just called to wish Alexie a merry Christmas." I looked at Trixie hoping her worry would soon melt away.

" Oh thats right." Her worry now replaced with excitement. " its christmas in 5 days! katya can we wrap gifts tonight!?" She asked suddnely very hapoy again, which is why I hated to tell her no.

" We won't have time tonight Trix we have to talk to your mom at 11 and its already 8:30." I said sadly giving her a half smile.

" oh, okay tomorrow night then?" She asked her youthful excitement bring her back to life again.

" of course baby." I spoke giving her a quick kiss on the cheek. I wasn't really sure if her parents knew what was going on between us or not. They would have to pretty oblivious not too but Judy didn't know so I'm trying to keep it on the down low for safety.

" yay." She smiled running down the hallway to her room.

Trixie and I sat on her bed once again. I invited Judy but I think she's still a little upset with me from earlier so she said no. I'll have to talk to her tomorrow. Trixie hummed while  she absentmindedly braided my hair, twisting it between her beautifully manicured fingers. I just lay there and let her do it, staring at the ceiling. Thinking. I knew tonight's conversation with Val was going to be heavy and I was prepared, but I wasn't sure if Trixie really is. I hope she is especially after tonights dinner, Val is going to be showing up with a few new bumps and bruises.

The sudden chime of my phone broke us out if our spaced out state reminding us it was 11 o'clock.

" Trix time to go, you ready?" I asked sitting up beween her legs looking to face her. She was sat leaning against the headboard her lip between her teeth, a nervous habit.

" yea I guess." She sighed sitting up.

" I'll be there the whole time, don't worry." I said giving her hand one last squeeze before we tiptoed in the darkness down the creaky hallway.