26. It's my Responsibility.

responsibility
/rɪˌspɒnsɪˈbɪlɪti/
noun
1.
the state or fact of having a duty to deal with something or of having control over someone.
2.
the state or fact of being accountable or to blame for something.

Eren;
"This time, both you and Levi shall become the true evil."

"I'll never become like you!"

I hated this. My dad. My life. Everything. It was never supposed to be like this. I just wanted to have a family with Levi and grow old with him. But no. As soon as I found out I was the angel hound, I knew that my life would never be 'normal'.

According to my so called 'father', I'm the saviour. I'm supposed to protect the world. But how can I? I'm just a worthless omega, who can't survive without my alpha by my side. I'm too emotional to even walk right now, that's how bad I am.

"I'm not evil, boy. I prefer to be known as someone who does other people's dirty work."

"You'll always be evil in my eyes. I'll never forgive you for what you did to me!"

Doing people's dirty work. Meaning, he's not doing this with the intention of benefitting from it. Someone else wants to do this to me?

"I'm not from your realm. Therefore I am not the father you knew. I don't know what he did, but I'm sure it was to benefit you, my son."

It was never to benefit me. He wanted this for himself. He tortured me, experimented on me, like I was some kind of object. Who knows what he changed when he did these experiments.

"Experimenting on your own child is nothing but beneficial to yourself."

"If he hadn't experimented on you, you would've never met Levi, your mate."

"W-What?"

The fear was kicking in again. The fear of being alone. The fear of dying, again. The fear of my father. Or whoever he is.

"Experimenting on you, changed your fate. Yes, you were born the saviour, but somewhere during that experiment, magic happened. Thus, the demon and angel hounds were fated to be together."

Silence.

Levi, and I. It's not natural. The world didn't want us to be together, magic did.

"What? Not the happy story you were hoping for? Anyway, let's get to the fun stuff, shall we!"

Happy story. Happy ending.

"Grish-. Father. Please, don't do this to me. I'm an angel. I can't be impurified by my blood sucking side! I'll be letting mum down. Please. Don't."

"Oh, my boy. You just don't understand, do you? You'll never escape the evil of the demon hound. You'll never escape your fate. I'm sorry, Eren, but it has to be done."

"P-please! No!"

My eyes began to flood with tears. My walls, the walls that hold me up, that make me strong just... collapse. I feel the muscles of my chin tremble like a small child before there is static in my head once more. It's the side effect of this constant fear, constant stress I'll now have to face.

"Eren?"

Is that ... Levi? But how? He's not here? No. It's just my mind playing tricks. I'm delusional.

I didn't want this. I didn't want to become evil. I wanted to protect him, protect his people - our people. I didn't know much about what happened in my 'past life' but I know that I was meant to return. It's my responsibility to protect them!

"P-please! N-no! Stop! I-I beg!"

I could feel the tightening of my throat. I can't cry! I'm supposed to be strong.

He came closer, with a glass. It had a deep red coloured liquid in it. The colour of-

"B-blood."

"Now. If I'm correct, one sip of this shall cause an awakening of your vampire side. Go ahead, drink."

"Kill me."

"W-What?"

"Do it! Kill me. I'd rather die than turn into something I don't want to be!"

"It's what you are, Eren. Embrace it. Levi would."

"Don't mention him! Don't compare me to him! He thinks I'm dead anyway. So do it."

"You're wrong. According to my watch dogs, Levi knows your alive, and someone you love very dearly is currently trying to take his memories of you away from him."

"W-What? No! Who?"

The tears come heavier this time, becoming uncontrollable. Any of my hopes of being loved ever again shatter, and once again the loneliness takes over.

The sounds of my sobs were all I could hear as I slowly slipped out of consciousness.

___

Levi;
I watched in distress as his eyes began to flood with tears. His walls walls, the walls that seem to hold him up, that make him strong appear to just... collapse. I could see his chin tremble like a small child before he grips his head in pain.

I try to calm him, try to cup his cheeks to wipe the tears. But ... I can't. I go straight through him. It's like, he's here emotionally, but not, physically? I'm also here emotionally, but not physically.

"Eren?"

His head jolts upwards quickly, the tears still streaming so freely down his face. His eyes narrow, and he looks around the room with an expression of confusion.

Can he not hear me? Is he okay? What's happening?

Seeing him in pain like this, it hurt. I just want Eren to be happy, it's all he deserves. He's been through so much, so much shit that he deserves his happy ending. Whether its with me or not, he deserves it.

"Levi! Wake up!"

Hanji? What's she doing her-

It was a fucking dream.

He's not here.

With me.

Where he should be.

"What do you want, shitty glasses?"

"Something strange is going on with your sleep monitor. From what I can tell, you were emerged in some kind of sleep state that allowed you to see events that were happening at that current situation. So whatever you dreamed about, should be happening right now."

"Eren. He's in trouble."