/51/ Moments

Previously

Third Person

"We'll call you if something comes up, okay? I'm sure she'll be fine." Cal assured.

"We'll leave in an hour or so."

"Take a nap, get some rest. You look exhausted."

"I don't know. I'll just go to the hotel, shower and come back." It was obvious that Michael was worried about leaving. He had a terrible feeling that something would happen.

>>

All four boys were sitting quietly in Izzy's hospital room, listening to the heart monitor. None of them would admit it, but the sound of the heart monitor beeping relaxed their minds. It told them that she was still living and her heart was still going even though it was at an off rhythm. 

Izzy woke up before Michael and Ashton left. She honestly felt a little better than earlier this morning. Her body felt stronger than before. Maybe all she needed was some sleep.

"How are you feeling?"

"Pretty good, actually." Her voice had come back and it wasn't as hoarse as this morning.

"Ash, could you hand me the cup of water on my tray table?" He did as she asked and she downed the water quickly. "Thanks."

"Hi, Mikey."

"Hey?"

"What's wrong?"

"You're acting weird."

"What do you mean?"

"You're acting like your old self."

"Is that so bad?" Michael shook his head rapidly.

"No! It's a great thing!"

"Pukey, could you hand me my sweatshirt over there?" She asked, the use of his nickname taking everyone by surprise.

"You remembered my nickname!" Luke said excitedly as he walked over to grab her 5 Seconds of Summer sweatshirt.

The day continued on like this, Izzy would mention something out of the blue and she would realize that it was something she had remembered. Everyone's mood was slowly getting better. Costanza came into the room again to check on Izzy. Instead of her pain being nine, it was a five. Hope had returned to the four boys. The doctor came in to check on her and they saw that her heartbeat was a little faster than before. The rest of the day was filled with laughter, jokes, and only good thoughts.

There was one simple word to describe how everyone was feeling.

Happy.

Everyone felt happy.

You'd think there'd be a more complicated word than 'Happy' but it had a simple meaning.

To feel joy.

That's how each of them felt. They felt like nothing could stop them from taking on the world. Each boy felt like they had gone through hell, spending the last few days praying that their best friend wouldn't bite the dust. She hadn't.

She was getting better.

Michael

After two hours of laughing and joking around with Izzy, Ashton and I felt comfortable enough to leave the hospital for a while so we could shower and nap for a little while. The nervousness I had was disintegrating. The car ride was quiet but it wasn't an uncomfortable quiet. Both of us were surprised at the turn of events but it was an amazing feeling.