[31] The Gathering

Inside the church was spectacular. I hated to admit. But it had to be the most magnificent thing that I had ever laid eyes on.

It was so pure and holy that I instantly could tell that this was a place in which I did not belong. My Lord is the Devil, Satan, the Morning Star, Lucifer. He is known by many names, and for good reason. His evil and tortuous ways are hard to give a single word too.

Upon stepping into the huge wooden doors, we were welcomed by a huge stone entrance hall. The ceiling was rounded and at least 4 stories high. Painted on the roof were beautiful angels and other ethereal beings were soaring amidst the clouds.

In each corner of the room were large carved stone columns, holding up the structure of the building. As soon as the doors were closed behind all of us, we were enveloped by the silence. All of the outside noises were muffled to near silence. You could just barely hear the murmurs from the world beyond the doors.

It was an eerie feeling.

My skin started to tingle, as I felt dully unwelcomed in the place. My eyes then wandered up to the high walls were there was stained glass windows with images of what I could only assume depicted the characters in the stories from their bibles. I had never read the book, not that I could have before, and I wasn't about to, but it seemed like a safe guess.

Our group stopped in the middle of the big empty corridor, all that occupied the room now was a few wooden benches lining the wall. A stone fountain that was near the center of the room was slowly dripping water from a tap that had a cross above it. And a narrow red carpet lined the floor that lead from the front doors to the second set of doors straight ahead and then down the large corridors to the right and left.

Everywhere I looked, I saw symbols of God. Crosses and statues and paintings lined the walls and decorated the room.

Keegan stepped forward and looked around the room and down each hallway before he placed his hands in his narrow hips, "Where in the world is Father Elgin? I sent his a letter just yesterday informing him of our arrival today. Surely he must know we are here as I even got a response from him..."

The clicking of her high-heeled boots echoed in the large stone room as Lady Arianna walked forward as well and weaved her arm through one of Keenan's, "I'm sure he is coming. He knows that this is important. Maybe he had errands to do and is running a bit late..."

Her fiancée huffed and it was clear that he was not impressed. I didn't fault him for that though. If I knew that a huge band of Lycans was collected in the near mountains, planning for an attack on my city, I would be just as concerned.

I shifted from one foot onto the other and the jingling of the chain around my wrist that attached me to Trinity reminded me that I was even more of a prisoner here. I was also starting to notice that the two collars were taking a toll on my body. I was weak and tired, my muscles felt sore. Forcing myself to stay alert was making my head thrum. If anything I needed my mind alert. I couldn't handle being off my guard in this place. We are surrounded by angel hunters and people that I'm sure would wish to do me harm.

It was then that the second set of large wooden doors that was directly before us, slowly creaked open. All eyes snapped to its direction.

Out of the door came an older man. He looked to be about 40 or so years old. His hair had gone grey and he was bald all around the crown. Wrinkles covered his face all around his eyes, mouth and brow, showing the work of many years of frowns laughter and possibly anger. But searching his bright, pale blue eyes, any anger would be hard to see.

He was wearing a simple floor length robe that was white with a dark red strip around the rim. Silver brocades lined the front top half of the robe that held it closed together. The long broad sleeves went to just above his long bony fingertips.