[24] The Truth Comes Out

Sorry about the wait. Not very happy with the ending of this chapter so please forgive me if it sucks. I might come back and edit it. Not sure yet. Hope you all still enjoy!

----------[ Story Start ]----------

The only light that illuminated the room came from the small candle that was burning peacefully on my bedside table. Staring at the flame I started to pity it. All it wanted to do was exist of its own free will. Yet there it was, restricted to the small space of the candlewick, only able to burn when others say so. It doesn't have a choice.

Looking at this fire now, it's light dancing before me, as I lay curled up on my side on my bed, I felt that I could very much relate to it. I was never given a choice. People did with me what they wanted. Used me only for their personal gain. Much like this tiny, innocent flame.

There was a soft knock on my door.

Four quick rasps.

I instantly knew it was Trinity, as that seemed to be her signature knock.

I sighed. I had been unconscious for a few days and got yesterday to stay in my room and recover my strength because I had been too weak to raise an arm never mind stand.

Today I was better, able to walk and such, but everything about my body hurt and I stayed in bed again even though I wasn't supposed to. Oh what a disobedient rebel I am. But Trinity had said that the chores were easy today and that she didn't mind that I wasn't with her. If anyone asked her, she was going to say that I was sick or some other nonsense like that.

After thanking her for that, which didn't feel as weird as I had thought it might be, she promised to come visit me at mid-day to bring me something to eat.

It must be that time now...

"Come in..." I called quietly.

The door clicked loudly as it opened and seemed to echo in the room. But I think that is just because I have been laying here in complete silence for 4 days now.

Pushing the door open just enough for her small delicate form to slip in, Trinity quickly closed the door behind her.

When she turned around, I instantly noticed how Pure she looked today. Her white and light blue dress fit perfectly on her petit, flawless body and her white-blonde hair fell perfectly straight around her face, that seemed to be glowing, and her hair danced around her shoulders, like a halo. I didn't understand how I could be around such a Pure and innocent looking angel without bursting into flames for all of my sins.

She smiled warmly at me and held her hands up in my direction. My eyes flicked down to see the small half loaf of bread and dried meat. My mouth watered at the sight.

Something very strange about us angels, that I had learned the longer I stayed here on Earth at one time, was that the longer we stayed, the more our bodies needed food and water to survive. I had later figured out that if we stay on Earth forever and live like them, by the time we look to be of a very old age, our bodies are essentially that of humans, although we still have our angel powers, and we must eat to survive. Our bodies die on Earth as a human.  

But if we make trips back and forth we don't need to eat or drink at all. We can if we want but there is no need.

Continuing to stare at the food I thought about how much this fact saddened me.

I didn't even hear the soft shuffling of her feet as she walked or floated, I wasn't sure which, over to me and sat at the end of my bed by my feet.

Putting my hands on the bed, I push my body up and wince at the effort. Trinity sees this and is instantly up and by my side helping to lift me up.

I give her a half smile and hang my feet off the edge of the bed; my bare feet touch the cold stone floor and goose bumps race all the way up my legs.