[46] Thoughts

*Keegan’s P.V.O.*

Black roses.

A symbol of death and farewell.

They covered everything. The men, women, chairs and of course the coffins…

“And may their souls never leave our hearts… Amen,” Father Elgin finished off his prayer.

I, along with Eric, Trinity, two of my apprentices, the rest of my household employees and the family of the fallen men and woman, all stood in the nearby pasture valley by my palace.

The coffins were each slowly lowered into the ground of the small cemetery, which we had just had made up, and the friends and family all came around to say their last words and throw in a handful of dirt before the graves were filled in completely.

I wanted to have the funeral for Sheridon, Arianna and the other various guards that had been killed, at the Seraph church in Idris. But with all of the happenings in the city, preparing to send the soldiers south and everything, there was just no room for a small meager funeral for a few fallen innocents.

Quickly making my way over to Father Elgin now, he just finished giving his respects for a family of one of my guards.

I shook his hand when I got up to him, “Thank you again for coming and doing this.”

He smiled and shook his head slightly, “It is no trouble at all, I was happy to do it. These people are scared enough as it is, they don’t need the extra sadness and stress over an improper funeral for their loved ones.”

I nodded once, my face turning serious, “How are things in the city?” I was almost afraid to know.

Father Elgin sighed, “Hectic, to say the least. The army seems to have pulled in every man, the streets are flooding with them as they help to secure the city as much as they can.”

“Why would they do that?”

“For a worst case scenario…” he dropped his voice, “Some are saying that this is it. We won’t be able to stop Hell from consuming the world. I think the King is just trying to keep people calm and feel protected. Wouldn’t do very good to have the entire city in a panic before the actual prophecy date.”

My jaw clenched. There had to be something else we could do. Clearly nothing we can do from the outside of the portal could stop the prophecy, but what about from the inside…

“But I really must be going now, I am still needed at the Seraph Institute,” Father Elgin broke me out of my thoughts.

Shaking his hand again in thanks I said, “Yes, of course. Thanks again, Father…” I watched him walk off to his carriage and sighed. So, no one believes that we will survive this prophecy? That made a strange feeling of fear knot in my stomach.

My eyes scanned over the sea of black-garbed people. It was truly a depressing sight. Standing by Sheridon’s grave, Jayden had his arm around Rachel as she leaned on his shoulder for support and comfort as she wept. They had lost such a close friend. Working, learning and training together so for long, they must have felt like family to each other.

I said my farewells to those who came up to me, but I felt like I wasn’t there, maybe in body but not in mind. I was too busy thinking about everything and anything.

Arianna’s mother and father had come to speak with me earlier. She was their only daughter. Their words were floating through my head.

“You both loved each other so much, she would have made you a beautiful bride.”

“Our poor, sweet Arianna. She didn’t deserve this fate…”

She didn’t deserve it? What about Sheridon? Did he deserve it? Countless other innocent people were going to suffer and die, not just Arianna.