[49] Hell's Gate

*Keegan’s P.O.V.*

Hell’s Gate.

A dreary place that had previously been named because of the fact that it is a series of mountains in the south, near the Dark Ocean, that surrounds a huge valley that is bare of any and all vegetation and life. I now knew that it was named because it actually was in fact a gateway portal into Hell.

The mountains were all jagged, sharp points and looked like they were made of black and grey rock that came up and out of hell itself. Walking up the ridge, the grass slowly faded to dead, brown and dry grass before it became dirt and black rocks.

I had sold my horse at the last town about half a days travel back because I knew there would be nowhere to keep him as I didn’t know how my journey would go on from here.

As I neared the top of the ridge a thin fog started to build. I took a deep, steady breath before I climbed that little bit further and peered over the edge. It was an awe-inspiring sight. Being so high from the rock valley below made you feel like you were on top of the world, until you took in the fog and lack of any life.

From my point on the ridge, with the fog, I could just make out the shapes of the massive boulders that covered the huge valley floor right below me. It was near impossible to see the opposite side of the valley although I could make out the tops of the mountains across from me that made up the other side of the bowl.

Slowly making my way down into the valley, I kept a sharp eye out for anything suspicious. I didn’t know the area well, but other creatures might. And by creatures I mean Fallen. Victoria said that this was the place where Fallen Angels traveled back and forth between hell and earth and it would be the portal that the demons would escape from during the prophecy.

The prophecy, which is supposed to happen in only 6 days time…

By the time I made it to the flat bottom, night was about to fall, making the lighting difficult to see by and I found myself being very confused. The bottom of the valley was only about 100 by 100 strides, and besides the boulders of varying sizes that littered the ground there was nothing else here.

I’m not exactly sure what I was expecting. Maybe a stone gate that opened to a bunch of stairs that lead down into hell, or maybe a huge stone alter with statues all around that transported them between realms. Basically, whatever I was expecting, wasn’t’ this… There was a random collection of stones near the center of the valley, so I decided to head over there.

It was deathly quiet. Almost too quiet, and it made me nervous. Setting my small pack and sword down on one of the rocks that had a somewhat flat surface, I pulled out my canteen and took a big drink of water that I had collected from a stream not too long ago.

With a long sigh, I leaned back against one of the larger boulders and aimlessly looked around as I let my mind wander…

Maybe this was just a foolish idea. For all I know Victoria lied to me about Hell’s Gate and just used the name to her advantage. What if the portal to earth was actually in the north? Idris is sending its army south; the city would be defenseless and burned to the ground by the time they figured it out…

I was abruptly pulled out of my thoughts when I heard the soft sound of gravel crunching under a heavy weight. Instantly on guard, I tried to stay calm. I didn’t see the source of the sound, so who or whatever it was, was most likely behind me.

Hearing the crunching sound again, I regretted putting my sword down, as it was now a good three paces away. Luckily I still had my long steel Gael rod attached to my hip and in this case, I think it is safe to assume that it might be more useful.