[60] The Sword

"Mother!" I screeched. But everything went black and we were suddenly being transported to Hell's Gate. Moments later, my vision returned and we were in the dead, eerie quiet of the Hell's Gate crater. The ground was scuffed up and covered in various paw and claw marks and bits of dead flesh to prove the presence of demons. It took me a moment to realize that tears were running down my cheeks.

She was ready to protect us from Lucifer's wrath. We were gone before I could see the outcome of his furious flight. All I could hope was that she had been right in putting all of her faith in her guards and Azrael.

My face was suddenly encased in two warm hands and I refocused to see that Keegan was standing in front of me. Looking down at me in concern, a deep crease ran across his forehead in a very familiar look. My eyes searched his face as he wiped away my tears. It still hadn't really hit me that this wasn't really Keegan anymore. My heart still called out to him and loved the contact but this wasn't him returning my love. He was devoted to protect me. This was a different kind of love. He loved my entity and only wanted to protect me and keep me safe from all harm.

But this wasn't the love I wanted from him...

His eyes held mine. The familiar light blue had me captivated as usual, but they lacked something. He wasn't really there... Why did I have to accept my love for him now only to have him taken away from me?

I need my Keegan back...

"She was prepared to sacrifice herself for the bigger picture. You have to be protected because only you can stop this war... Your father will protect her. She will be fine."

I nodded once and took a deep breath, "Let's go."

There was no choice for me now. I had to believe that what he was saying was true. I knew my father. He never spoke of her much but I knew in my heart that he loved my mother. He was completely enraptured with Sraosha and he would do anything and everything in his power to protect her from harm. I had to trust in him that she would be all right.

I had only just met her after all of these years. I couldn't lose her now.

We made our way to the portal. The air shimmered in a circular beam that rose straight into the sky from the center of the crater. Keegan stepped into the portal first and disappeared instantly as he was brought below. I followed right after.

What I didn't expect was to be face to face with a sword swinging directly for my neck.

My eyes widened in pure shock as I threw my weight backwards to avoid the sharp blade. I could hear it cutting through the air where my neck had just been.

Jumping up onto my feet, I defensively stood my ground and glared at Lucifer as he hissed at me.

The sound of clashing metal suddenly rang through the air along with the loud raging fires below and my eyes snapped to the side to see that Keegan and Asmodeus were in an intense battle. Sparks flew from their blades with every swing.

"Lucifer, you need to stop this!" I exclaimed, "This is the only way to bring peace to all Humans, Pures and Fallens!"

We were slowly circling each other now. I was taking extra care to watch his every movement, everything from the rise and fall of his chest as he breathed to every twitch and flex of his muscles.

He bared his long canine-like teeth at me, "You forget that it's all but me, my sweet. Greed for power never dies... I will not allow you to take this away from me when I am finally so close! This is the only way for me to return to the holy grounds. I won't let you take that away from me now..."