Asking

"Margaret, you can do this,"I mutter to myself,"Lets get this bloody get this rubbish over with."

I compose myself, bring my shoulders back, put on a confident smile, and fill my eyes with casualness.

"Hey, Darius!"I say.

"Margaret! I forgot to thank you about taking me as your Keeper!"he says, smiling.

"Oh, you were first on my list!"I inform him graciously."You're great at balance."

"Oh, thanks,"he says, blushing with pride.

"Anyway..., Slughorn's hosting a Christmas Eve Party." I pause quickly, letting that sink in."And we need dates. So I was wondering if you could go with me, just as friends." I look at him hopefully.

"I'd love to!"he says, beaming."I'll see you Christmas Eve, then!"

"Thank you so much!"I say happily, my chest filling with triumph.

***

"You've McLaggen, you've Darius, and I have no one,"Harry says a little grumpily.

"Have you asked Parvati?"Hermione inquires.

"Her!"Harry looks anguished."No way! Last time she was my date was the Yule Ball, and you know how that turned out!"

"What about Luna?"I suggest.

"People will make fun of her,"Harry says shortly."I don't want that to happen."

"I'll be her designer on Christmas Eve,"I say defiantly. He nods, looking gratified.