Practice

Today, all of the fourth years and higher years are called to meet in the morning.

"I wonder what's going on,"Padma says.

"Maybe Fred and George set off a stink bomb or something,"I suggest.

"Oh, I sincerely hope they didn't figure that out,"Fred says, suddenly behind us.

"Sure upset Filch for sure,"George says, grinning broadly.

We arrive at an enormous unused classroom, with countless numbers of chairs on each side of the room. Girls sat on one side, boys on the other. The seats were all assigned, and I found myself squished between Hermione and Padma.

"Today,"McGonnagal says loudly."You will learn how to dance. The Yule Ball is coming up."

There was excited chatter and some groans from boys.

"If you haven't heard,"she continues,"The Yule Ball will be held this Christmas. Your practice partners are assigned, and will change daily, but the real partners will be your choice.

"The steps are very easy. Weasley!"she barks. Ron stands up uneasily, and McGonnagal forces him to dance with her.

Fred and George are whistling and mimicking Ron's clumsiness.

"Now we will practice,"McGonagall announces. "Your partners for today are on the board."

I pray for Darius, but of course, I don't get him. I get Harry, which isn't bad. Darius gets the dimwit Marilize, and Cho and Marietta shoot me sympathetic looks.

Harry is taller than me by an inch or so, and he turns out to be very bad at dancing.

"God, Harry,"I say, when he steps on my feet for the dozenth time."Have you had any sixth grade dances in Muggle school?"

"Yes,"he says, treading on my feet once again."But I was usually the kid hanging around at the basketball courts."

I sigh exasperatedly,"My toes are probably all half dead now."

"Sorry,"Harry mutters, and says in a quieter tone,"Can you hook me up with Cho? I want to ask her to the ball with me, but I don't wanna sound like a total stalker."

"God, Harry, I can only do one. She's-um- going to the ball with Cedric,"I give him a sad look, as his face falls,"But I can totally get you two to know each other!"

"Thanks, Marmar!"he says.