CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.
--Ernest Hemingway

"GET IN HERE," Athena ordered the moment she opened the door and saw Alex standing on the other side a little after ten that evening. "I can't wait to hear about your visit to Montana. What happened?

"I'm not sure if you really want to know." Maybe coming over her wasn't good idea, since his sister-in-law was a friend of Logan, he felt ashamed of himself for acted like an asshole toward her friend.

"You're kidding right? By saying that, it means something aweful happened at Circle F, Am I right?" Athena asked interestedly.

"You could say that." Alex tsked.

Athena shut the door and Alex headed toward the kitchen, which gave Alex a full view of the New York City-night.

"Sit down. Chocolate or raspberry? Quien bake them this afternon." Athena chuckled, when she remember her daughter, new hobby. Quien bake a different kind of cookies and made her Uncle Alex a food taster.

"Cookies? I pass this time, I still have a lot of them in the house, Quien never failed to delivered them every afternoon in my doorstep." Alex laughed and shook his head.

"How about a cup of coffee or a tea?" Athena asked.

Alex shook his head again.

"How about something stronger? Cause you know, I got it." Athena smiled at him.

"That would be great." the last thing he needed now was alcohol but his body needs it, his mind has been clouded since this morning, Claire wasn't home after they came back to Montana.

"Okay Daredevil. Start talking."  Athena said while she dropped a bottle of vodka in front of him.

Alex slumped onto the stool and shrugged off his jacket. "Where's Luke and the kids?" he said wryly.

"The kids, sleeping and Luke, in his study room." nodding. "So what happened, Luke didn't say any single word about Montana."

"Well, first, I had fight with Logan, he pissed me off." he tsked. "Second, Solivan went there and took her back home, and I'd like to kill him." he chuckled. "Third, Claire wasn't home after we came back from Montana, and it upset me." He buried his face to his uninjured hand and rubbed hard to ease the tension making his left eye twitch. "What am I going to do, Claire doesn't give me a chance to explain?

"Give her more time, she needed that, especially this sudden pregnancy. She may now suffered with different emotions, because of that sudden changes to her body and her life style. Pregnancy is not easy, Alex. She needs more of your understanding, love and care. And be more patient to her." she slowly patted his uninjured hand, showing her full support to him.

He closed his eyes and pictured the scene in his mind, a happy family.

"Be more patient to her, alright? And please stay away with those women, they just cause you a trouble, believe me." Athena chuckled and she seriously looked at him from her seat opposite to him. "Claire loves you, but no woman wants their partner to be unfaitful and a womanizer, and you known to be a womanizer, so don't be surprised, if Claire have a lack of trust on you. So, most and foremost, you need to gain her full trust."

Alex lift his head and immediately shook his head in a denial "I never slept to any woman since I met her."

"And what was about the issues leading to you? Alex, truth or not, that was still an issue." Athena sighed.

Alex smoothened the rough part of the bandage on his injured hand, barely managing to resist the urge to remove it. "I know."

"You're going to a father soon, you must know your priorities, your family over your career?" Athena added.