Beside You

*Alyssa's p.o.v*

"ALYSSA" my dad called up the stairs. I yawned and opened my eyes. I looked around my little attic bedroom. There was a chink in the curtains, lighting up the blue room slightly. Stretching, I rolled out out bed and walked downstairs.

"Morning, Dad" I said

"Morning, Liss" my dad replied, looking up from his newspaper. "There's a bacon sandwich in the oven for you"

"Thanks," I replied, smiling.

I took the sandwich and sat down at the kitchen table. As it was the first day of the summer holidays, Dad always tried to make it special.

I guess I should tell you a little about myself... My name is Alyssa, I'm 20 years old and I was born on July 7th 1994. I live in California with my Dad. I'm half American, half Australian, which makes my friends say that I have a cool accent, but I don't think so. I don't know my mum, she and my dad split up before my first birthday, but whenever I used to ask my dad about it, he would get tearful and leave the room. Apparently, I used to live in Adelaide in Australia where my mum was originally from, but when my parents split up, I moved with my dad to where he grew up, in California.

I love pop music, especially bands like One Direction and The Vamps. I also like bands like Green Day and Blink 182. Big change in music taste, I know. I enjoy playing volleyball and softball but basketball has always been my passion. I am quite musical, I can play guitar and piano and have written a couple of songs which are up on my YouTube account.

Now on to what I look like... I have wavy light brown/ blonde hair, which comes down to just below my shoulders, Hazel/ green eyes, and I am around average height. My dad says that I'm really pretty but I don't see it. I'm not just saying that like some people do, but I honestly don't see it.

I finished my breakfast and wandered into the living room (lounge) to watch TV. My favourite TV show "Friends" was just starting. It was my favourite episode "The One Where No One's Ready". It was really funny, especially when Joey wore all of Chandler's clothes, that really annoyed Ross. Just as the episode finished, I heard the 'plop' of the mail landing on the mat.

"Could you please get that Liss?" My dad called "I have to go in the shower"

"Yeah, sure" I replied. I pulled myself off the sofa and walked into the hall. There was a handful of letters on the mat, a couple of bills for dad, a postcard from my aunt who was currently on holiday in Spain and, at the bottom of the pile, was a letter addressed to me. I don't recognise the writing and printed across the top is the words 'AIR MAIL'. I walked back into the front room and opened the letter.

"Dear Alyssa (I read)

My name is Ashton Irwin and I know this may come as a shock but I have recently found out that I have a twin sister - you. I want you to know that this is 100% real. I know that some people make this stuff up, for money, fame... I don't know. But this? This is real.

I guess I should tell you about myself... My full name is Ashton Fletcher Irwin and I drum in my band, 5 Seconds Of Summer. I'm in the band with my three best friends Luke Hemmings, Calum Hood and Michael Clifford. Maybe you've heard of us? I live in Adelaide with my - I mean, our - mum Anne Marie and my two younger siblings, Lauren and Harry.

I completely understand if you don't want to, but I would love to meet up. It means the world to me to meet you. If you feel like it, text me: 07986 45 33 11

Love from, your new found brother,

Ashton xxx"

I couldn't believe it... Was this true? Without thinking, I pulled my white iPhone 5c out my pocket and called the number, putting the phone to my ear, just as the dial tone started....

*Ashton's p.o.v*

"I can't believe you didn't tell me!" I cried. It was my 20th birthday, and my mum had tried so hard to make this day special - she planned a surprise party for me, bought me my favourite cake, got me a pair of personalised drumsticks, and invited my three best mates and band members, Luke, Calum and Michael over for pizza, music and Xbox games. I was so happy... Until I realised that she was just doing this to soften the massive bomb shell she just dropped on me... I have a twin sister?!

I ran out of the front room and up the stairs, taking them two at a time. My mum called after me but I wanted to be alone. I locked my bedroom door behind me, and threw myself onto the bed, pummelling my pillow with my fists. I heard footsteps outside and then three voices.

"Ash, mate..." Michael began, but then trailed off, clearly unsure of how to finish

"Are you ok?" Luke asked

"Ash, we had no idea" Calum added.

I didn't answer, I knew it wasn't the lad's faults, I just wanted to be alone. Eventually, the boys walked away, whispering under their breath. I didn't even realise that I was crying until I saw the teardrops on my pillowcase. I wiped my eyes with my jacket sleeve and then I realised that I was still holding a crumpled ball of paper in my hand. I opened it out and realised that it was Alyssa's address. I sighed and made my way over to the desk.

An hour later, I was still sat in the same position, my desk chair becoming extremely uncomfortable. The only difference was the fact that my bin and desk were overflowing with crumpled balls of letters. A half hour later, I had finally finished a letter that I could send. I shoved the letter in an envelope, licked the flap down and stuck it down. I stuck a stamp in the top right hand corner and printed 'AIR MAIL' along the top. I pushed the letter into my desk draw, getting ready to post tomorrow. I didn't want my mum to know. I crawled into bed, exhausted over how stressful this birthday had been.

*Alyssa's p.o.v*

No one answered the phone and I didn't want to leave a message, so I decided to call back later.

A half hour later, I called again and someone picked up on the third ring.

"Hello?" A strong Australian/American voice said. Wow, he sounded so much like me!

"Hello?" The voice said again

"Hi," I replied, my voice just a whisper

"Hello, is someone there?" The voice asked

"Hi... It's Alyssa," I said, louder now

"Oh my god, hi! I can't believe that it's really you! Hi, it's Ashton. Ashton Irwin..."