Chapter 52

After I've dropped off Hailey, and have gotten inside my house, I slowly drag my tired body to my room. I wash my face and teeth as fast as I can so I can get under the covers. I decide to change out of my clothes as fast as I can so I can jump into the comfort of my bed.

Kicking off my shoes, peeling off my top that displays Jordan's number, it feels nice to take it off.

As I'm looking for a shirt to sleep in, I catch sight of a shirt I like within a pile of clean clothes I have not put away. I reach for the shirt and it is the shirt Derek let me have that day we got soaked in the rain after that party some time ago. The same party where Hailey met Cole.

As much as I want to say I hate Cole for what he put Hailey through, I don't. It doesn't do anyone any good to feel that way. What matters is that Hailey has come to terms with the situation.

I decide to wear Derek's shirt and button it up. Pulling the covers over me I send my mom a goodnight text letting her know I've made it home in one piece. A sigh leaves my mouth as relaxation finally envelopes me. I know there is a smile on my face as I hold on to the feelings of that night in the rain that the shirt reminds me of.

Tomorrow I will be in Derek's arms, and I will hold onto him so tightly that the universe will not be able to pull me away from him ever again. It's amazing how calm I can feel right now even though my heart is hitting my chests as hard as hail against a window during a storm. Good thing I've always loved storms.

***

I regret going to sleep as late as I did when I hear my alarm go off. I reach for it but I miss and knock my alarm off the bed side table and groan.

"Jasmine get up! I'm leaving and have no time to tell you again!" I hear my mom say from the kitchen. The smell of coffee and oatmeal makes its way to my room, and even though I don't like those things very much, my stomach begins to rumble.

"Jasmine!" She yells again.

"I'm going!" I muffle out as I press the pillow against my face to cover the sunlight pouring in through the window.

"Chris take out the trash! Don't let your sister sleep in I'm leaving!" My mom's rushed footsteps make it out the door and I finally decide to sit up but fall back in exhaustion.

I almost lay there forever but I hear the doorbell go off twice. I drag myself to the living room to answer it thinking my mom has forgotten something.

Rubbing the sleep out of my left eye I open the door.

"Is that my shirt?"

I freeze and look up.

"You look good. I texted you but you weren't answering so I decided to show up," Derek says as I blush into nonexistence.

I yelp and hide behind the door as I wish the shirt to lengthen and cover more of me.

Hey girl you got it so flaunt it!

"Um hi!? Yah I barely woke up! I'm gonna go change!" I run out but then run back and say, "You can come in I'll be right back.

I rush back into my room to get some clean clothes and wash my face and teeth, deciding to have a proper shower once I've returned from school.

It must be the quickest I've ever gotten ready. I come back to the living room to see him playing games on his phone.

"Hey," I say brushing my bangs to the side.

"Hey," he replies smiling in a way that makes me feel exposed to him, more than when I was just wearing his shirt.