Chapter 13

Holy Cheezits he looks good.

I feel my stomach tighten.

Derek is wrestling Jordan.

Jordan is wrestling Derek.

And my heart doesn't know who to root for. I'm not necessarily talking about the arm wrestle.

I've liked Jordan for a long time. A really long time. Then Derek just happened to be there that day at the library. Now he's here next to the guy I've been crushing on silently. Or at least I thought so until Jade pointed out the obviousness of it.

Still, here they are face to face and I can't help feeling super conflicted.

I've never talked to Jordan, but that's what I'm supposed to be able to do tonight. That's why I'm here tonight. It's part of Jade's convenient plan of getting back at Alyssa for who knows what reason. And here I am doubting what I've felt for years. My feelings for Derek are still somewhat undecided and fresh. Yet, they can't go unnoticed.

The guy has made his way into my life, and has been so nice to me. Even if I thought he was stalking me.

I look at a very touchy Alyssa. With her hand on Jordan's shoulder every two seconds. While Jordan focuses on getting Derek's hand to hit the table. His face serious to the point that I feel the intensity of it all. The music making its way throughout my bones. The heat of bodies causing me to finally feel warmth in this dress.

Derek is grinning like he is having the time of his life. Like if he wins it would be awesome, but what matters is that he's having a good time. That face makes me smile.

I watch for a little bit. People cheer, but not really for anyone in particular, except Alyssa of course. She's a cheerleader, it's in her nature. I'm absorbed in the energy, truly interested. It doesn't matter if I don't speak to the people around me, because I'm part of this moment.

Then as it looks like Jordan is about to win, Derek is already laughing at his expected defeat. I move in a little closer, and the girl in front of me makes some room. I'm in direct view.

Then like in some cliché movie (or book :P) his eyes drift up for a second, meeting mine. I catch my breath. He stops laughing, and stops trying to get Jordan's hand down. His grip evidently loosens as he does a double take.

"Go Jordan!" Alyssa exclaims. There's a roar of cheering as Jordan slams Derek's hand. Jordan gets up and high fives a bunch of people near him. Alyssa hugs him from the back, and he puts his arm around her.

Jordan wins, but Derek doesn't care. He immediately walks over to me. He smiles, taking me in. Surprisingly, I don't feel self -conscious. On the contrary, I'm internally thanking Jade for what she's done to me.

"Hey you came!" Derek says giving me a hug. I awkwardly pat my hands on his sides, because his hug takes me by surprise. But that doesn't mean I didn't like it.

"Yah. I just got here," I say looking up at his bright expression. Don't get lost in those eyes Jasmine! You need your brain tonight!

"Did I convince you?" Nope, I'm a goner I'm being reeled in. Swim away fishy! Swim AWAY!!!

"Just a little," I say pinching my fingers together to emphasize.

"Did you eat? I can get you something? More to drink?" He takes my cup already starting to head for the refreshments.

"Yah, yah I did, you don't have to get me anything," I hold up the crumpled up napkin in my hand.

"You sure?" This boy is so nice.

I nod, and he smiles at me. I smile back feeling my cheeks and forehead heat up. Jordan is forgotten.

"Alright everybody it's time for the best performance of your lives!" The crowd cheers as a voice booms from outside. Derek turns to the sound.

"Looks like the guys are about to start playing. You wanna go check it out?" I nod my head, and he takes my hand, leading me back out to the patio. A lot of the other people in the room join, and soon the whole area is even more packed then it was inside.

"They're really good," Derek informs me as the music starts. He's still holding my hand like it's the most natural thing in the world. Weird thing is, I don't even mind it one bit. I can feel his excitement radiating off of him, and it's contagious.

There's about five guys. Cole is in the front naturally. He's got a guitar in his arms, and the mic at his lips. We're in the middle of a large group of people, but if I'm not wrong I think I can just make out Hailey having the time of her life by the front. I also can't help but notice Cole's eyes drifting to her direction every so often.

The music is great. Derek is smiling, and nodding his head to the beat, and I'm ironically serene in this moment of musical chaos. Then I'm ripped out of it.

"Jasmine!!!" Jade appears at my side with wild eyes.

"What?" Derek looks over too, confused.

"I need her," Jade tells Derek, and takes me by the arm before Derek has a chance to ask why or stop her. Honestly, I wish he would stop her from abusing my arms. They're starting to bruise from the pressure she inflicts on them.

"What are you doing? Where are you taking me?" She stops and lets me go.

"Alyssa went back into the house to change, and put on more makeup. Which means right now is the perfect chance to get you with Jordan. He's right over there," she points at him watching the stage with a cup in his hand.

"How am I going to - "

"I'm going to go distract Alyssa, so just get over there." She's pushing me over to him.

"No I'm not ready!" Apparently I have no choice.

"Hey Jordan! This is my friend Jasmine. I'll be right back. But can you keep her company please?"

Then in what I think is in the first time in my life, Jordan looks at me. He looks me over, and grins as he makes eye contact. Control the blushing Jasmine! It probably looks like you have a fever by now!

"Don't screw this up," Jade whispers in my ear leaving me with Jordan.

Don't mess this up.

Cameron^