Chapter 41

Last night could've been the night I finally got to get it on with Derek, but oh no Chris just had to-

GET IT ON? Really Jasmine? Really?

Okay, okay maybe that's too much of a word to describe an almost event that could've taken place YESTERDAY ON MY COUCH. But oh no, curse older brothers and their terrible timing and their lack of privacy for their younger sister who just wants to kiss a cute guy.

A very cute guy who looked to also want to KISS ME BACK!!!!

*Sigh.

After an awkward fight with my brother to get him to give me back the money I'd thrown at him accidently, with his reluctant argument of "finders keepers," and a more than awkward late pizza dinner, I found myself with a kiss less night.

Chris would just not leave us alone, and kept laughing with his mouth full of our pizza while he told us about who knows what. I'm pretty sure if Chris hadn't rudely interrupted something would have happened.

I apologized repeatedly to Derek even when he said there wasn't anything to be sorry for and that he would see me in the morning. Even when I thought of giving him a goodbye kiss on his cheek when he stood there by the door, Chris had to rudely burp loudly in our direction to ruin yet another almost romantical fantastical moment.

And believe me, when Derek was out of sight I gave Chris a piece of my mind. Or more like a piece of my ass since I sat on him, and took photos while at it for his future girlfriend. Or who am I kidding, what girlfriend? Whoever gets stuck with this loser must really hate themselves.

Besides that, I took my car keys with me. I might not need them since we took Derek's car, but it's nice to know Chris won't have a ride to work or back or anywhere.

Ahhh the satisfaction.

It was a quick trip this time to the hospital. I caught up with some sleep in the car since I kept yawning, which made Derek chuckle. I felt bad at first for leaving him to drive, but once I drifted off I felt more energized once we got to Hailey.

The nurses were different but one of them was able to tell me that Hailey's mom had made a visit, and that she had left maybe two hours ago, to get back to work.

I felt kind of lucky that I wouldn't have to face her mom. But to be honest, she probably wouldn't even recognize me after only maybe once seeing me before.

That same nurse also informed me that Hailey had not woken up once yet but that they expected her to soon.

While there, I got a glimpse of her tired eyes, but only once. Derek remained in the waiting room trying to get a hold of some friends that he and Cole had in common. The matter of Cole was something I would save for later. I was less pissed off today surprisingly, but I still had an urge to kill him and bury him next to my brother. Maybe a joined funeral would be cheaper than the one? The bastards could share a coffin I don't know.

Derek only came in to tell me that we should go get some food at lunch time. We settled on some taco joint, where we had friendly conversation. And yes, it really was innocent friendly talk, and it was nice. Not to say I didn't want to kiss him still, but I didn't want to do it with all the noise of kids and talking people.

But I'm not holding it off the next chance I get.

LOL Jasmine.

I'm not kidding though!

...

As much as I would have wanted to bring Hailey back from the hospital myself, I wasn't allowed to according to hospital rules.

I volunteered to go spend New Year's Eve with her, or even bring her back to my house if she were up for it, but she said she would be fine. Plus, her mom wasn't exactly delighted about the cost of Hailey's incident. So for my own sake, Hailey warned me to not come around, and that she would call me later.

As curious as I was, I didn't mention Cole. I didn't know how she would react to me asking anything, so I promised myself to not bring it up until school started up again. Which would be in a couple of days, but let's not bring that up either.

New Year's Eve around my house was pretty non- existent every other year. My mom had gotten us used to celebrating it with a family member one year yes, and the next no. On "no" years she went to work, and if Chris happened to have a job then he would also go work. As for me I would stay home to watch Youtube videos and re-evaluate my life choices as an anti-social being.

This year happens to be a "no" year, which means I get to stay home-

And be a loser?

NO!!!

I get to watch-

BZZZZZZ BZZZZZZ

I pick up my phone.

I knew Hailey would be-

Derek.

Derek.

DEREKKKKKKKKKK!!!???!!??!!

Excuse me but I'm about to start jumping wildly up and down my bed like a child.

GAHHHHH!

AHHHH!

GAHHHHHH!

Okay I'm done.

I land on my back (because I really did jump you know) and answer.

It's nice to know there's still guys out there who'll call you instead of just sending you a text.

You throwing shade at Jordan or something?

Oh yah...forgot about him. Oops.

"Hey," my face comes out breathless and I cough to the side to clear that up.

"Hey Jasmine."

He said my name! Eeeekkkkkk!

"Hey Derek." I can't help the wide grin taking over my face.

"Hey haha, so uh," I can imagine him fidgeting adorably while saying this.

"Yah?"

"Happy New Year's Eve?"

"Thanks, you too?"

"Thanks."

Spit it out Derek! Keep talking! Tell me you want me!

Woah.

I mean tell me you like me haha.

"So do you have any plans for later?"

"Not really...why?"

What happened to Youtube vids and being a loser?

Shhhh!

"Really? You're not like hanging out with family or anything?"

I mean Chris might stay home, but it's more likely he'll go hoe around at some party tonight. Even if he were sticking around, it's not like I'm interested in any "sibling bonding" ever.

"No one's going to be home, just me."

"Would you maybe want to come with me to Jeremiah's party? It's nothing big but- "

"Yah sounds cool."

He pauses shortly.

"I mean if you're not in the mood it's really okay. With the thing going on with your friend I wasn't sure about asking you."

"Believe me nothing sounds better than forgetting for a little bit."

"You'll have fun I promise."

Thank the universe for "no" years.

Woot woot!