Chapter 26

The drive over to Jade's is faster this time. I'm going with the excuse of returning her black dress, but it's not the only thing I came here to do.

I've made sure to wash and even iron her dress, because I can't stand to look at it folded up. It probably costs more than my phone. Which is sadly the nicest thing I own. Thank you Grandma and Grandpa.

I arrive just as another really nice car is pulling into the house driveway, so the gates are already open. With the dress packed in a plastic bag, and across my arm, I head for the mansion.

I hesitate after each step I take. I'm curious to know who the driver is. I don't wait long though. The car is parked, and an elegant man in a suit steps out.

His hair is slick and gray, but the nice type of gray. It looks like it was dyed that color on purpose, and not caused by his age. You can tell that he was even more handsome when he was younger.

His presence makes me feel like I'm trespassing his property. I wasn't exactly invited here, so I guess I am. Nevertheless, I suddenly feel out of place in my jeans and now itchy black coat. The one I never wore, because it was always too big. The only reason I'm wearing it is because I can fit more tissues in the pockets than with any other article of clothing I have.

The man finally spots me, and I almost turn to leave but his words glue me to a stop.

"After young lady," his voice is kinder than expected, and I can almost look past the intimidating scene. His posture is business like, and he even has a suitcase to fit. He belongs in a catalog that interviews successful men. A photo with him beside his ride and house could be found on the cover.

"Afternoon." We are a few feet away of the entrance. The man slips the car keys into his pocket, and steps forward.

"Are you a friend of Jade's? Pardon my asking, but I've never seen you before."

"Umm...yah. I'm Jasmine, sir. I came by to give her back this dress she let me borrow," I say lifting it up for him to see.

"Nice to meet you Jasmine. I'm Jade and Derek's father," he reaches for my hand to shake. "Do you know Derek as well?"

More than you know.

"Yah we're in the same grade," I try to maintain good eye contact.

Mr. Mathews grins kindly, and I get a flash of Derek grinning. This is definitely his father. But I wonder if he knows what a manipulative monstrous his daughter can be. But no need to mention that on our first encounter.

"Really? Well, I'd better let you in before the rain starts again." He leads me to the door, and lets me in once again to the vast space of beauty. A female in a more modern maid's uniform greets us, and takes Mr. Mathews suitcase. She hands him what looks like mail. He studies the enveloped seeming to forget I'm just awkwardly standing next to me.

He slips off his jacket and turns to me, "You go ahead and find Jade. Excuse me, but I need to make a few calls. If you need anything, don't think twice to ask. I'll be in my office down the hall to the right, second door." This man is so proper.

"Yes sir, thank you." He nods and is off, and I hear him tear open an envelope from the stack.

Sighing, I take the steps like the first time. My hand touches the gold color railing in awe. This time I'm not being rushed. I can actually look behind me as I reach the top. It's almost like walking into Cher's house from Clueless, but even fancier. I wouldn't be surprised if this house was actually used to film a scene in that movie or any other.

All the doors on this floor are closed. I didn't tell Jade I was coming, which was stupid of me. It didn't matter to me as I walked at my house, but now I'm rethinking this.

There's no answer when I knock. Not a sound comes from the opposite side of the door.

Hey Jade, are you home? I'm here at your house with your dress.

I send her the text hoping for a quick response. She could still be here, just not in this part of the house.

My phone vibrates and the screen lights up with Jade's response. I'm out right now, but I'll be there soon if you want to wait. If not just leave the dress with Maggie. She's the afternoon maid.

Afternoon maid? I'm pretty sure it's the woman that met us downstairs, but I wonder how many people work in this house if she has an afternoon maid. Is there a morning, brunch, and dinner maid too? Do they never get to see the other? Beautiful, yet strange household.

"Jasmine?" I look up to see a shirtless Derek, with his wet hair covering his eyes. The look gives him an innocent appearance. The dampness causes it to look darker and makes his eyes look lighter from the contrast.

"Hey," and once again few syllable Jasmine is in the room.

"What are you doing here?" He's drying his arms with a beige towel, but is concentrated on me.

Keep your eyes up Jasmine. Don't get lost in those abs.

He must do a lot of push-ups.

Jasmine!

Right, no lookie there.

"Jade. Her dress. Bringing it back," I blush profusely knowing all my English teachers would be ashamed of me for my child like grammar.

To my relief, he grins cutely at me. The mood is lightened, any tension simmering down.

"She's out with Cameron." My eyes shamelessly roam his body, but I'm a teenage girl with wondering eyes. I'm not the first, and certainly not the last. He's just so... Derek...so likeable.

"Yah. I just texted her." She didn't tell me she was with Cameron, but that detail is irrelevant. As long as he doesn't come in, I'm good. I need to talk to Jade in private.

"You waiting up for her then?"

"I need to talk to her," I nod. I get a peek of the bathroom since the light is still on. The walls have tiles that have images of clouds.

"We can wait in my room, so you're not alone out here?"

Slick. But bedroom invitations are dangerous Jasmine.

"Uhh.."

"We're just going to wait. Nothing else." He grins guessing where my mind is at.

Great now he thinks I'm a prude.

"I know! Fine. Let's go to your room."

He's pleased about making me nervous. After turning the bathroom lights off, and shutting the door he walks past me. I follow glaring at his back.

Derek might be nice, but he's still a boy. His proud strut to his room causes me to wonder. Maybe he's just as devious as Jade.

                                                                      ^Mr

                                                                      ^Mr. Mathews