Chapter 21

Derek pulls away, and I can see disappointment as he scratches the back of his neck.

Good going Jasmine. You've ruined the moment.

Technically Jordan did.

But maybe he didn't? I mean what would happen if I did kiss Derek? I can't go around kissing more than one person! That's so wrong of me. I'm going to end up hurting Derek if I keep acting interested.

You're not acting! You like him!

But do I like him more than Jordan?

"You should probably take that," Derek says leaning on the wheel.

Don't be stupid Jasmine, don't be stupid.

"I guess I should." I say looking down at the screen again.

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

"I'll send your shirt back when I return Jade's dress back to- "I start.

"Don't worry about it." He keeps his beautiful eyes off of me.

"You sure?"

"Yah, I own more shirts Jasmine. I'm not going to miss it." But will he miss me? Is that a selfish thing to ask?

Of course it is. He deserves better than this!

"Okay, thanks again." I get out of the car, and I run up to door to avoid getting soaked again. My pants are sticking to my legs, and starting to feel weirdly sticky.

I look back, but Derek's car is already gone.

I wrap one arm around myself and enter my house. Chris didn't wait up, and I'm glad. Not that he ever would, but I'm grateful to avoid any questions he might throw at me to make me uncomfortable about leaving the house with an actual male.

My keys are still where my brother left them. Picking them up to place them on the key hook on the wall, I see that my mom's keys are already hung up. I haven't seen her since yesterday morning.

"Mom!"

After a couple of seconds her voice echoes from somewhere in the hall.

"In my bedroom baby!"

I walk into her bedroom, and see her sitting on the bed and removing her shoes.

"Hey," I say coming over to take one of her feet to rub it. She groans, and I continue. I know being on her feet all day and night cause her to have extreme foot pain, and sore wrists from carrying plates around.

"When did you," she motions at my bangs.

"A friend did it for me yesterday," I say as she moves to lay fully on the bed, keeping her feet on my lap.

"It's nice," she then looks at what I'm wearing at opens her mouth to ask, but I speak first.

"It's my friend's shirt." She has a questioning look but she's too tired to press for more information. Plus, I doubt she'd want to know I was just hanging out with a boy at this hour.

"You should go get out of those pants. I don't want you getting sick." Her head hits the pillow, and she covers her face with an arm.

"Okay Mom, goodnight." I lower her legs and stand.

She murmurs a goodnight, and I head to my room.

After quickly using the bathroom to clean my face, and brush my teeth I drag myself to my bedroom.

I drop my sweater into my hamper, and switch on the lamp from my nightstand. My pants come off, and I use my towel to dry off. I change into new underwear, because come on. My cooch is freezing. But I climb into bed still wearing Derek's shirt.

I reach for my phone.

The words are still there. Hey Jasmine, it's Jordan. I asked Jade for your number. I hope you don't mind.

Bet you Derek minded.

My fingers touch my lips, the ones Derek almost touched with his own.

Groaning, I cover my face with the bed covers.

Jordan freaking Brigerio texted me. Me.

I've been waiting forever for something like this to happen. I've had so many made up conversations with him in my head. Yet, now I'm literally speechless. The only thing I can do is make un lady like sounds of annoyance for not knowing what to respond.

Finally, I sit up and decide that I won't answer. I'll be better in the morning, and my thoughts won't be so clouded hopefully. Right now I just want to rest. Even though I slept until late today, my judgement needs sleep.

***

I don't wake up feeling refreshed. Instead my throat is sore, and my nose is runny. Not a fun combination.

"Chris!" I yell stupidly, because it causes me to cough from the soreness.

As per usual, he doesn't hear me or he doesn't care enough to come see what I need.

Weakly, I stretch and pull on a dry pair of pants. Derek's shirt is now all wrinkled, but I keep it on as I slowly walk into the hallway. I pass my Chris's room, and hear snoring. Insert sarcasm here. He must be so tired from watching cartoons and eating. The poor baby.

I wipe at my nose with some napkins from the kitchen, because I know there aren't any tissues. It's my job to get house necessities every two weeks, and I haven't stocked any. The roughness leaves my nose sensitive.

What I need is some soup, so I search the cupboards. Unfortunately, I come up empty and am on the edge of tears. I'm too sick to go out in this weather to get myself anything to feel better.

Hailey. I can call Hailey to come drop off some soup or something. From how late she was out last night, I assume that she took the day or at least the morning off. She's my only hope.

And Derek?

No, I can't ask something like this of him. He's probably upset with me, for pretty much rejecting him.

So I text Hailey asking if she happens to be able to do me a solid and pick up some soup cans, NyQuil, and tissues.

I go back to my room to grab a blanket, and claim the couch. Luckily, she responds and says she'll be at my house with my soup in less than half an hour.