Chapter 48

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU GUYS HAVE LIKED EACH OTHER THIS WHOLE TIME?!" I yelled, red faced as I stared at the two traitors sitting together on the couch they had been violating less than ten minutes ago.

"It's true," Chris said casually, throwing his arms behind his head and flexing.

I glared at him and turned to Hailey.

"Weren't you like almost in love with Cole?"

I couldn't believe this was happening. My friend and my brother? Behind MY back. Oh no, no one makes me look like a fool.

"I- " I didn't let her say beyond that.

"You guys don't even know each other!"

"Actually, we've gotten to know each other pretty well," my brother smirked and gave me a wink, earning him a slap in the arm from Hailey.

Which he shockingly didn't reciprocate.

"I don't want to know that! I want to know when this happened, how it happened, and why I had to find out in such a traumatic way!"

"You're acting like this is actually going to ruin your life even though your life sucks all on its own," Derek comments even though no one asked for his opinion.

"You're not helping," Hailey warned him.

I try to control the heart palpitations that are a sure warning of a heart attack in my near future if I don't chill out.

"You look awfully better Hailey." It comes out like I'm suspicious of something but I mean it as just an observation...well a suspicious one.

"Um yah- "

"Thanks to me of course," Chris interrupts.

"Again, not helping," Hailey rolls her eyes but continues. "Yah bed rest has really..um...gotten me back on track."

"Yup... that's what we were doing in my bed," Chris mutters under his breath.

MY VIRGIN EARS AHHHHHH

"AUGHH!" To my comfort, Hailey pushes Chris off his seat.

"Don't listen to him," she sighs, "Look it doesn't have to be weird. I didn't know he was your brother until he brought me here and I realized you lived here too."

Which sounds about right seeing as Chris is rarely home so she couldn't have met him on the few occasions he'd visited me. Plus if she'd seen him here she would've lost interest after seeing how he hogs the living room and empties out the fridge with his poor eating habits.

"And I didn't know she was your friend, much less that you actually had any seeing as you're pretty much a los- "

"Shut it." I rub my hands against up and down my face, then pinch the bridge of my nose trying to wrap my head around how the world is too small sometimes. So small that my best friend, or who I thought was my best friend, hooked up with my brother.

Flashback to freaking minutes ago at the New Year's Party:

"Girl code?" I repeat.

"We were never supposed to hook up with the other's brother. Never. Crushes were fine, as long as it didn't grow into something. It would be weird."

"That's stupid. Why couldn't you just like who you wanted to like?" I roll my eyes.

"Imagine Hailey coming over to meet with your brother over you? Talking about feelings and other things your friend is doing with your brother. How would you feel if you found Chris in bed with Hailey?"

EWW!

Did she really have to put THAT IMAGE IN MY HEAD?!

"See what I mean?" Jade laughs probably at the disgusted expression I'm wearing.

"We decided our friendship just wouldn't work if something like that happened...it's exactly what happened," she adds.

End of an ironic flashback.

"Say something Jasmine." Hailey has her eyebrows scrunched in anticipation.

"You broke the girl code."

"Okay anything but that," she takes a breath before continuing, "Come on it doesn't have to be weird." Chris's fingers tug at the curls at the back of her neck and she swats his hand away.

"What about Cole?" I ask crossing my arms.

"He isn't worth my time, obviously I wasn't worth his if he left the way he did. He just wanted a good time and I gave that to him. But he's gone now Jasmine. He's a musician on an all time high I can't change that. I'm not going to hold on to the feelings I have for him forever." She was being sincere I could tell by the way her lips set, by the way my brother didn't decide to interrupt with one of his stupid comments. She was trying to move on. A little too quickly if I do say so myself, but I mean who am I to judge when I'd done the same?

Was I comfortable with them dating?

Hell no. I did not want to hear about the things they did in my brother's bed. The things they'd probably done on the couch while I was out. Nope nope. I'd probably have to disinfect the seats after Hailey left, if she left. Because we all know my brother wouldn't be tidying up before my mother arrived.

"She didn't know you were my sister Jazz," my brother for once also takes on a serious tone and I guess I should lay off a bit.

"I swear I was going to tell you but I just didn't know when the right time would be since I know you already have other things on your mind. I thought it could wait."

I sigh.

You want them to be happy don't you? You aren't Jade.

That I was sure of.

I turn to my brother, "Hurt her and I'll kill you."

How many times have you killed him by now?

"Any pain inflicted will be purely for Hailey's satisfaction," he winks looking at her.

"AHHHHHH," I gag into one of the potted plants.

Hailey lunges at him with her hands around his neck trying to get a good grip, "MOTHERFU- "

Chris is a dumbass but I have a feeling that for Hailey he might actually be a decent guy.

New Year New Chris?