Chapter 35

It took me a few minutes to accept that the crying voice on the other end of the line was Hailey.

"I think I'm on Sycamore but I can't really read the signs," she tried to give me an address between strangles gasps of air.

"Ok, um, tell me the buildings that you see around you," I frantically replied.

"Okay uhh- "

She started describing her surroundings and in shock I still couldn't comprehend in what type of a situation Hailey had gotten herself into to make her sound so lost.

When she couldn't talk anymore I told her quickly that I'd go looking for her. I'd never heard of Sycamore Street or Avenue or whatever it was, but I guess I was lucky enough that I could somehow find it on my phone.

I raced out to my car, and when I saw an empty driveway I finally came to my senses and remembered Chris has taken it.

"Shit, crap."

Freaking Chris!

"What do I do?" I paced feeling anxiously, racking my head of an idea of who to call.

Sure I had a few numbers of people I could call, but none of them were close to me. Hailey's was the only one who really got insight of my world, and I of hers. But lately, we weren't seeing as much of each other as before.

Chris wouldn't answer, I knew that for a fact. Even if he was at work playing some stupid game during a break, he'd never expect me to have an emergency to cause him to reply right away.

Calling mom would be a wrong move.

Forget about Hailey's house.

There's a certain boy you could call?

But Jordan's already gone to-

Not him!

Then who though? Who could I possibly-

*Light bulb moment.

No... could I? It would be wrong to just go and call him. I haven't seen him since we got off for break. He didn't make an appearance at Jade's Christmas party, so not even then did I get to see his tall looming form, with those cute little eyes of his, and-

Just call him.

I can't. I shouldn't.

You want to.

I do.

***

I let my phone ring again and again, and I'm starting to lose hope and seriously consider running around town until I find my friend.

I'm scared.

Scared for Hailey, scared that I won't get to her soon enough.

Then I'm met with the abrupt ring of my phone that I stop right away, and hold at my ear.

"Jasmine?"

Silence.

"Jasmine?"

Answer him!

"It's me."

"Are you okay?"

I hadn't noticed my heavy breathing that probably sounds like I'm having an asthmatic attack.

"Yah, I am."

My labored breathing continues.

"I'm coming over."

Thank god!

He hangs up, and I wait on the curb of the street wondering if I've just had a panic attack.

Who cares about you! Think of Hailey! You bad friend!

A car speeds down my street, and before it can stop, Derek jumps out to take in my disheveled appearance.

Neither of us talks at first, I just stare up at him with my lungs seeming to punish me for taking too long to get to Hailey, by aching at every inhale.

"Jasmine," Derek crouches down and grabs my shoulders to examine my whole face.

His scent draws me closer without me realizing it.

I press my forehead against his, and the twitch of his fingers at my shoulders reveals that he's hesitant but not for long.

"Jasmine why are you out- "

"Hailey's in trouble," I scramble out.

His shining eyes flicker with unknown emotion. Maybe him trying to figure out the meaning of what I'm saying.

"Why do you think she's in trouble?" His breathe smells of mint, and under different circumstance I'd really want to get closer to his mouth but right now is the wrong time.

"I know she is. She called me from a public phone. She. was crying, and that's not something Hailey does. She told me she's on this some place called Sycamore but I don't know where that is, and Chris took my car so I didn't know what to do. And I shouldn't have called you but- "

"Jasmine?"

"Yah?"

"Just look at me, take a breather," I nodded and tried to steady myself.

"Okay." He sat next to me and started rubbing my back which I was thankful for.

"What was the street that Hailey told you?"

"Sycamore. That's all. I know Hailey can defend herself but she sounded so off." I stared at the ground and felt the warmth of Derek's hand stop.

"Sycamore?"

"Mhm." I sniffled even though I wasn't crying, but at this point I was coming close to it.

"That's about an hour away from here."

"What!?"

Now I really was going to panic. My stomach knotted.

We're wasting time sitting here trying to calm me down!

I jumped up, almost knocking Derek down on his back.

"We need to go right now!"

Blood rushed to my head, and Derek rose up to steady me.

"Hold on Jasmine. If she's near or at Sycamore, then that's only two blocks or so away from Cole's apartment."

I scrunched my eyebrows, "Why wouldn't she just be at Cole's then?" I was saying this more to myself then to Derek.

Could they have broken up?

No, it must be worse than that.

Hailey wouldn't cry over a break up, over anything really, but especially not over a high school romance.

"I'm going to call Cole." Derek brushed himself off.

I pace more and more and Derek grabs my hand, making me stop.

I try to focus on stopping myself from going into extreme panic mode, but it's too difficult.

"No answer," Derek shoves his cell phone into his jean pocket, "You're right we need to find Hailey."