Chapter 27

Derek so far keeps his word by sitting in his swivel desk chair, while I take the edge of his queen size bed. The comforter is blue and there's a soft brown blanket folded half way down. I'm sitting right on it, and I can't help run my fingers through it.

Derek makes no effort to pull on a shirt. The house is nice and warm, but still his indecency isn't helping my feelings stay at bay.

He spins twice, while looking up at the white ceiling before turning to me.

"So...how's school?"

"How's school?" I repeat puzzled over such a generic question to ask a girl you've hit on. My words unintentionally come out rude. I blame it on his avoiding me earlier. He didn't even try reaching out to me. Yes, it's partly my fault. But I've felt like shit. Something makes me wish Jade had given my number to Derek over Jordan. Of course, that's not her objective but if things were different we wouldn't be searching for words to fill the air. School would not be the conversation starter.

He shrugs and turns sideways, leaning back. The outlines of his abs are more prominent in this position. In the hall he brushed his hair back. There is no longer a trace of a younger, sweeter looking boy.

I've messed up the vibe between us.

"I've been sick. I didn't go to school yesterday." I fumble with my fingers, trying to figure out how to right whatever is eating him. It can't be only from me shying away from his affection.

Could he know about...me kissing Jordan?

If he did, why would he still try to get me afterwards? He could've cancelled or just not showed up the day after Alyssa's party? He didn't know Jordan was the one texting me either. As far as I know, they're sort of friends but not best friends. Plus, I don't think guys share make out details like girls tend to.

If he were really mad, there wouldn't be a reason to bring me into his room.

Jasmine don't be so naïve.

Okay, if my impression of him is right, then I refuse to think Derek invited me in for that.

After a sigh he shuts his eyes, no longer letting me appreciate their color.

"I noticed." He puts his arms behind his head, and his biceps flex.

"We have class together Jasmine. Of course I would know if you didn't show up," he adds.

"Oh."

"If you showed up today, I wanted to see if you were okay so I asked Hailey what your first period was. But somebody beat me there." He's talking about Jordan.

Hailey never told me that Derek had asked about me. It's probably because she thought Derek and I had just straight up talked like he wanted. Instead, he had to deal with-

Burning face. Seems like ever since I met Derek that's constantly happening to me.

"Did you- "He had to have seen the inappropriate PDA.

"Look, you don't have to explain anything to me. You can like whoever Jasmine. But it would have been a nice warning if you'd just told me you weren't interested in- "

"Woah! Wait! I wasn't trying to lead you on or anything." He's looking out the window now, but he's frowning.

He doesn't say anything.

"Derek?"

I stand up and pull the arms of the chair to get him to face me. He sits up, and scoots over seeing as I struggle to get him to me. When we're face to face, I swallow realizing I actually have no vocal thoughts at hand.

What do I say without hurting him?

"You're eyes are watery." He doesn't try to touch me. Hands clasped tightly together, I can tell he wants to. Damn it, I want to.

That would be a wrong move.

"Derek I don't know how to say this less brutally, but I've liked- "

"No Jasmine, I know that part already." He doesn't want to hear that. I don't want to say it, so I'm fine with the interruption. Yet, what comes next then?

"Derek you're so sweet, and I like you." It's not an enthusiastic "I like you!" I want it to be, I really do. Maybe it's allergies, but I want to cry. By the way, Jasmine Thomas does not cry. I'm a brave bitch. I shouldn't be getting all emotional over here.

Derek knows there's more, so he waits. I'm in a tight spot.

The proximity of our bodies makes our knees almost touch, but the bed gives me some height. At this point, he still taller, and I feel small.

"I'm sorry that we started hanging out until now. It's such bad timing," my mouth is going dry, "I finally got the chance to be with someone I've liked for a long time. And it's hard to just stop liking someone after so long you know?"

The seriousness falls for a second, and I get a glimpse of a kinder Derek.

"I know."

I release a breath, and search for nothing in particular.

His room is neater than mine. It's gray, with a few ribbons and trophies on shelves, a bookcase filled with more video games than books, his desk holding a laptop and school things.

One photo on the wall displays a boy that must be him in the arms of a woman with brown hair and blue eyes.

"If that's what you want then I'll be fine... I just want one thing?"

I know what that is, and even though it's a step in the wrong direction it can still be the weirdest form of closure ever.

You really want to end this, Jasmine?

If I don't stop, I'm just going to crush him more.

I nod my head, and I wait for him as I stare at my lap.

He takes my hands, and they're cold from his shower. He rubs them against mine, trying to snatch some heat. I can't help but think of when he picked me up the other night for my "body heat."

His warm breath closes in, and when the kiss doesn't come I look up.

He smiles gently and I prepare myself for the contact.

Derek kisses me.

On the cheek.

He let's go of my hands.

I let go of him.

A/N Wait one minute! Kay:) Like this chapter? Locate your vote button and click away please!