Chapter 24

My voice does come back the next day. But the energy to get up and go to school doesn't.

Despite trying to rest for an hour or so to try to at least make it to third period, I still feel terrible.

The soreness is gone, but the runny nose and exhaustion has me trapped on my bed.

My mom happens to leave later today for work, so she's able to cook me another soup. Sadly, not like Jordan's, but still good enough to fill my stomach.

After I finish it my mom forces me to take a shower, because she says sick and dirty is a bad combo. I complained, but she refused to leave the house until I was secured in the bathroom.

Honestly, I do feel refreshed afterwards, but I've missed too much school to go. Since Winter finals are coming up, I can't afford to risk my semester grade. For this reason, I text Hailey to ask if she can bring me any work I have to make up for today.

This time it's actually her when my doorbell rings.

"Dude, sorry I took so long! The fog is too much right now," Hailey is pulling out my homework from her backpack. I'm sitting in the arm chair in a t-shirt and pajama shorts, because even if the weather is cold I'm heating up.

"It's okay, I'm just sorry I left you alone for lunch and stuff."

"It's totally cool. It actually worked out today that you weren't there." Hailey's separating my work by class now.

"Really? How?"

"Cole came to pick me up for lunch." She looks at me through her eyelashes with a pleased look overall.

"That's really nice of him Hailey." It really is. I hope Cole really turns out to be a nice guy. The fact that he's Alyssa's brother makes me a little uncomfortable, but to each his own. It's not like Hailey's dating Alyssa, just someone who happens to have a similar genetic makeup.

"Yah, we talked and he asked me to be his girlfriend."

"Oh my gosh! Congrats!"

"Thanks," She smiles wide, and it's contagious.

Now on a serious note I have to confront her about sending Jordan over here without telling me.

"So, it was kind of a surprise when you didn't show up yesterday." I lean my head against my palm.

"Yah sorry, but my phone died right after you told me about being sick. And Jordan was all over the idea of saving you from your misery. He wanted to surprise you by showing up."

"Really?" I scrunch my eyebrows together. One kiss, and Jordan's all over me? If I'd known that's all it took, then I would've done it years ago.

"I think the guy's got the hots for you," She wiggles her eyebrows at me.

"Hey, haha. I thought you were team Derek?"

"I am, but you need to choose who you want. I can't do that for you." Hailey shrugs and takes a swig from her Sprite.

"I think Derek's mad at me," I reach for what looks like my math homework. It's semester review, but I cringe at the amount.

"Okay what did you do?"

"Nothing!"

"Okay what did you not do?"

"Kiss him."

Hailey shakes her head. And drinks more soda. She looks around, maybe in curiosity, maybe in thought. Hailey's only ever been here about three other times. I on the other hand have never visited her home. She says it's really just a small apartment, and that she's not emotionally attached to it. She says it's pointless to get attached to a place she won't live at forever.

I'd agree, but I've lived here forever. It was the second house my parents ever bought. When Chris was still a kid they lived in a smaller home until I came along. Of course, my dad is no longer in the picture. My parents divorced when I was still pretty young. Seeing as my dad cheated on my mom, Chris and me don't care that he didn't stick around after that.

In Hailey's case, her dad wasn't around much either. It's something we don't really talk about, but it ties us together somehow.

"What happened?" Hailey asks resurfacing.

"We were in his car, and before I got out he leaned in. I did too...but we were interrupted..."

"Don't tell me it was Jade trying to tell you to keep your hands off after following you guys to your house. She's not controlling your every move is she? I can punch her if you want," She rambles.

"No it wasn't Jade. I don't think she knew where I was, much less that I was with her brother."

"Then what? Why didn't you smooch him to death?" Hailey pretends to pull her hair out of her head.

"Jordan texted me right when were gonna umm...smooch" I blush.

"Okay, now I'm definitely team Derek. Jordan's rude ass has the worst timing. I should've chained him to the door before he could come corrupt you some more." Hailey bites her lip, and shakes her head.

"He's not corrupting me. I'm the one who kissed him first. Besides, all he did was come by and feed me soup."

"I hope he gets sick," Hailey mumbles.

"Hailey!"

"What? How is Derek supposed to get a chance with Jordan trying to steal you away?"

I throw a pillow at her, but she's Hailey so she easily dodges it.

"Also," she holds a finger up, "you have to admit that Jordan's never noticed you before."

"But neither has Derek."

"Actually..."

"What?" What does she mean by "actually"? What is she not telling me?

"I shouldn't- "

"You can't say 'actually' and not say anything!"

"I know, but Cole- "

"You're like my best friend." Ignore the fact that's she kind of my only friend. Acquaintance just doesn't fit anymore.

Hailey stares at me surprised, but soon gets up to wrap me in a hug. I'm shocked. I've never seen her hug anyone, but here she is.

"Hailey I don't want to get you sick," I say, and she sighs. She holds me at arm's length.

"Don't worry about that dude, I never get sick."

"Don't push your luck. So tell me what do you mean? Why won't you tell me what you're talking about?"

"I've been talking a lot with Cole you know? And he's told me a couple of things, but he told me not to say anything." Her brows crease in worry.

"I get it. I don't want to ruin your relationship with him."

"Thanks, but really just be careful. Wouldn't want you getting hurt."

"Same here," I smile, and she pats my shoulder before spreading out on the couch.

If I was feeling better, I'd totally hound Hailey for answers. Whatever almost slipped out from her mouth concerns me, and my jumble of feelings. Just that Cole has made her into a loyal horn dog that won't tell me. ^.^

^

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.