Chapter 39

A/N Happy Holidays!!

The scene that welcomes me is something I'm used to seeing on a show like Grey's Anatomy. Just that this time I'm not in the comfort of my room, with a bowl of chips in my lap, with my brother telling me to change the channel. I can't do that this time.

The patient in the bed is someone I know, someone I care about.

She's not an actress being paid to play a damaged girl with messy brown hair and ragged breaths.

She is my friend. The girl who sits with me at lunch in mostly silence, and who creates music on a laptop. She has always been bold, and smooth. She has always been a rock. Strong and unmoving.

And now she is a victim. Weakened by temptation and her uncontrollable urges to avoid reality.

All this time I felt sure that she would only be getting a little high or a little buzzed, but this is far worse than anything I would expect from her.

I can't help but feel somewhat lied to.

Yes, it is her life, but she is part of mine.

I don't even hear the nurse shut the door closed, but she does.

And then it's just me and Hailey, who's twitching eyelids tease me into thinking they'll open any second now.

And it takes everything in me to just sit in the chair next to her and plead for anything to happen. A sign that she knows I'm here with her. That someone wants her to get better.

But when nothing happens, I don't get angry because at least she's still alive.

With a dry throat, I tell her I'll be back after the nurse tells me I have to go after maybe ten minutes.

I would stay the rest of the night but Derek convinces me that it won't do Hailey any good if I'm sleep deprived.

We walk out the hospital with me leaning against him, and him stroking my hair in a calming manner. The hospital we took Hailey to is still in the city we found her at, so the drive back will be just as long and just as painful to get through.

I had already messaged my mom about where I was before my phone had died. I didn't tell her why but she trusted me enough to know I wasn't up to anything bad myself.

During the whole time at the hospital not even the nurses had been able to get in contact with Hailey's mom after I had tried countlessly. The nurses had thankfully told me they would keep trying and get the rest of the medical info they needed by making some calls, and waiting for a response from her mom.

"I can bring you back tomorrow. I don't want you driving over here by yourself."

"Derek you've already brought me all this way. You don't- "

"Jasmine." It's just my name but he says it to mean he's not going to negotiate.

"Thanks."

He takes my hand from my lap, gives it a squeeze.

And when he's letting go I make the move to lace our fingers together.

He doesn't move but after a minute or two he clears his throat. His eyes are on the streets but I know his mind isn't.

"When you were in the room with Hailey..."

"Yah?" I'm afraid of the kind of response that his reply will get from me.

"I tried calling Cole a few more times, but he didn't answer."

"Oh." Well then maybe my blood pressure won't exceed what it's at right now.