H.O.H: The Missing Pieces:10:

Tuesday
Granparents House (Diane and Bruce)

I watched Lauren carefully as she sat quietly beside me, her eyes flitting down to her hands.

So she was nervous, but she definitely wasn't the only one.

We were both officially 'meeting the parents' at my grandparents house, and I still wasn't she if her mom really liked me or not, no matter what she said.

I looked back at Mom, not really wanting to be caught staring and saw Lauren look up.

"Lauren has a movie to do in a few months. The tour has gone well, I think we sold out every concert."

"I didn't know you were doing the movie in a few months." I looked over at her, feeling my eyebrows come together.

I certainly hadn't been told that, and i couldn't help but be disappointed. More time I wouldn't see her, but such is life these days...

"Yeah, it isn't to far away." She said, meeting my eyes as I felt mine harden a little.

Oh don't be mad at her, that's a stupid reason to be mad at her. Be happy for her - she'd probably be happy for you, so just cut it out.

"And your family is in Fresno?" Mom asked Lauren.

Oh no. Please don't bring up her father. Don't bring up her family in general. You are not supposed to know any of that.

I widened my eyes at her, motioning for her to drop it without being obvious, but Lauren was already answering the question.

"Yeah, my grandparents on my dad's side and most of my mom's family."

I looked at Laur, trying to show her without words that she didn't have to talk about it if she didn't want to, because I already knew she didn't.

Dad looked up, and I frowned.

She'd probably hate me if she found out they knew, but I didn't know what to do about it. I could say the wrong thing, do the wrong thing, and next thing I know we're over because I had hurt her feelings unintentionally.

I would not let that happen.

"It was a sweet thing you did, showing Jazmyn around yesterday." Mom got up and took our plates, finally changing the conversation. "She told me all about it."

"Yeah Justin, when are we gonna go again?" Jazmyn walked over and I picked her up, resting her on my lap.

"I don't know, maybe next time you are with me."

"We better."

"I can help you Pattie." Ms. Renee said, grabbing a few dishes and folloed Mom into the kitchen. My Dad winked at me, getting up and went over to Jaxon. Jazzy hopped down and followed, leaving Lauren and I alone.

"See, nothing to worry about. My mom was the one who suggested where we are going Friday."

"I wish you would just tell me."

"Nope. Not a chance." I shook my head and smiled at her.

No way would I give that up.

"Just thought I'd give it one last shot." She sighed, smiling at me and I reached over, enveloping her hand in mine.

"You guys don't have to stay at the table, you can go downstairs if you want." Mom said and I looked up quickly with a nod.