Surprise!!

Kimberly POV

I heard a knock on the door and jolted out of bed. I was so confused, not used to sleeping in a bed! "Grace! Psst! Grace!" I called out through the half darkness caused by the cheap hotel curtains. She kept lightly snoring, at least she didn't have any nightmares last night!

I groaned and walked over to the door. Looking through the peephole, I saw a man dressed in an army uniform and became confused. He was holding flowers and had a smile on his face. "Grace!" I yelled, louder, walking away from the door. She was still asleep! "Sheesh! I give up!" I said, throwing my hands up in a mock surrender. The man knocked on the door again. "Just a second!" I yelled. I grabbed a pillow and threw it at Grace. She jumped, "SAM!" She yelled, throwing it forcefully back. "Hey!" I said, she froze.

"Ooops! Sorry!!" She apologized. "Do you know anyone that would be wearing an army uniform...?" I asked, looking her face up and down. She got the biggest smile on her face! "Yeah! Why!" He face fell slightly, "He isn't dead, is he?" She asked in a whisper. "Not if he's standing outside the door!" I laughed. She would've won a world record with how fast she bolted to the door! She ripped it open and started crying. "NIIIICK!" she cheered, jumping into his arms. "So... I guess that's a yes!" I laughed, she turned to me. "How..?" She asked me, I shrugged.

"I got a.. sort of vacation and was called by people I think are friends of yours...?" He laughed. "Sort of?" Grace asked with a weird expression. "I got back from deployment and was allowed to spend some time with my family!" He smiled at me. "Who were they? That called you, I mean?" I asked. He smiled at me, "They actually skyped me a while back. They said that you had a concert last night and would be in Dallas this morning. I think their last names are Perry?" He asked with a smile. "Isn't that the band you used to love and make pos.." She put a gentle hand over his mouth.

"What?" He asked, before turning to look at me when Grace pointed. "Wait.... That's Kimberly! Kimberly Perry!" He laughed before getting a mischevious look on his face. "I am Sgt. Nick Oakley. And obviously you know my sister. She used to be in love with y'all. She had a crush on Reid and Neil!" He laughed. Grace turned bright red and she hid her face. "Aww, Grace." I laughed. "Reid and Neil called me up, first thanking me for my service, and then offering a flight here to see you. They've been planning this for a long time." He smiled at Grace.

"YES! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR COMING!" She yelled, probably waking everyone up in the Dallas area. "You're welcome. Now, why do you have cuts on your face..?" He asked her, suspicious. She sighed, all happiness gone for now. "Well. You might wanna sit down for my story. KP, can you help me please." I nodded, "Of course."

Nick sat down on the edge of my bed. "But first," He said, handing her a box with the flowers. She smiled wide when she opened it! "Aww Nick! They're both beautiful! Roses are my favorite!" She smiled, giving him a sisterly kiss on the cheek. The necklace was an acoustic guitar with "Grace Oakley" engraved on the back.

We then told him the long story of what had happened, starting with the car, then the bottle, then the stabbing, Grace left out the part about the bar fight, hanging with Kacey, picking up miranda, and coming here. "Wow. Where is he now!?" He snarled, I was scared, even though I didn't do anything! "He's in jail, the other guy is on the run, we think." "You need to be extremely careful. Do mom and dad know..?" He asked her, looking at her head on. "N..no. They knew about the car thing, but not the stabbing. It'll probably be on the news sometime, though." she said, nervously.

"Well, I am going to try and keep an eye on you, the best I can, but I can't keep you from the world, I guess, or you'd be back at home right now." Nick said, looking at both of us. "I have tried my best to keep her safe." I said, honestly. "And I will continue, so will my brothers." I promised. "Thank you." Nick said. There was another knock at the door. I exchanged glances with Nick, and he walked over to the door. Everyone knows you do not mess with a huge 6'7 foot Sgt. He opened the door, squaring his shoulders. "Who are you?" He asked, looking down. "Oh. You must be Grace's brother. This is Tyler and that is Brian." I heard Reid explain.

"Okay." He said. "Nick! You can let them in. They're tourmates." Grace said to him, Nick shrugged and let them in. Reid and Neil came running to Grace. "Grace! How are you? I didn't get to see you last night!" Reid said in a rush. "I'm good!"Grace managed to get out before she was tackled in a Perry Boy Hug. I started laughing at her priceless reaction. "You'll get used to it." I laughed at her.

They finally let go and she pretended that she could finally breathe again. "And everyone says I have tight hugs? Are you serious!?" We all laughed at her comment. "Alright. So what're we all doing today?" I asked, looking at everyone. "Well, Reid still has to rest." Neil inputted. "And we can't play the show till who knows when." Tyler added. "We're stuck in Dallas till then." I finished. "Well, my parents and I lived here a long time ago, I still remember a bit, if you want me to show y'all around." Nick threw in.

"Why not. Reid, get your sling on!" I griped at him. He frowned at me and said, "Fine." He walked out of the room and shortly returned with an ugly purple sling. He shrugged when Grace looked at it, trying not to laugh. "That's the last one they had, purple isn't that girly of a color!" Reid protested with a smile. "I didn't say anything." She chuckled. "Alright, let's go." Nick said, gently grabbing Grace's hand. I sent a quick message to Scott.

We all donned the traditional ballcaps and sunglasses, except Nick of course. "I still can't believe my sister is a singer, opening for Florida Georgia and The Band Perry!" Nick whispered excitedly. "I still can't believe y'all don't think anyone will recognize us in this!" Grace laughed back. I started to laugh so hard, my eyes were watering! We walked around dowtown and forgot about everything for at least a little while.

*************************************

This got deleted from yesterday!

🇺🇸Happy Fourth! And thank you to anyone serving right now or that has served! 🇺🇸