Chapter 24

It's 12:00 and neither of my parents have come into my room. I started doing my hair at eleven thirty because I grew impatient waiting on them. I officially choose to wear wedges. I'm short and at least now I'll be a little under Zayn's height. People might be able to see me coming through at this party.

I open my door and I can't see a thing. I slowly step down the stairs. I make as little sound as possible. I start to feel the buzzing in my fingertips. Reaching midstep I spot my parent's silhouettes on the couch. I gasp and suck in all my breath hoping neither of them heard. I reach the bottom step neither of them move. I inch closer to their bodies slumped over on each other. I tread lightly getting close to the door. My phone buzzes and I whisper.

"Shoot."

I hurry out the door not bothering to stop the vibrating phone. I close the door behind me. I waddle to the elevator and the minute the doors shut I laugh triumphantly.

"Aha! I got out! That was so...that felt so risky." I look at the walls that mirror myself. "Now I'm in an elevator talking to myself." I chuckle lightly still proud of myself for sneaking out. The buzzing starts up again and I giggle and answer.

"Hey."

"Hey is everything okay?"

"Yup." Everything is better then okay. I just snuck out right pass my parents.

"Cool. I'm right downstairs."

The doors ding open and I see him standing there with a big grin.

I say, "I see you."

I come out of the elevator and he smiles. He looks me up and down and the way he stares rushes heat to my cheeks. I stomp toward him noting Ethan from earlier.

"Hey Ethan."

"Hello Ms. Avery. You have a good night!"

"You too." Zayn takes holds open the front door. "Hi." I say looking up at him as we walk through the streets of glowing lights and dark skies.

He snickers, "Hi." He looks around then looks down at me, "You look very beautiful by the way."

"Thank you."

But he is standing far from me. Not like the other days. It's like back to the second day on the school bus. He had enough space between us my textbooks had room. I hold my elbow feeling a little thrown off. His mouth says one thing but with his actions it's another.

I keep my opinion to myself. I follow along as he watches his surroundings keeping his focus on the road. Back to the awkward silence.

"So..." I say in a desperate search of escape from the silence.

Zayn's POV

She's in a black dress.

The minute she stepped off the elevator I knew I'd have a problem tonight. I prepared mentally for jeans and a t shirt. I stared at her longer then I should have.

"So..." She says.

I want to avoid looking but, "Yeah?"

"What are these friends like?"

"Uh they're cool people. You have Ronaldo who goes by Ron or like Ronnie. There is Patrick he's weird like I can't even begin to tell you."

"Any girls?" She asks probably looking for some sort of companion.

"Uh Ron has a girlfriend. I don't know if she'll be there. Her names Cathy."

"Oh okay." I hadn't looked at her all but once that entire conversation. I feel like I'm being a jerk but I'm just trying to do the right thing.

"This is second time I see you dressed up. Are you trying to impress me?"

She laughs, "Yeah right. I want to impress some older guys tonight." She's joking, maybe. I just don't know if I like this joke. She's a gorgeous girl and I don't want her to move on. I just need her to wait for me. I have to tell her so she can wait.

She reaches for my arm, "I'm just kidding. I got all dressed up because it's a party."

That is a little better. "Avery." Just as I'm about to tell her a man approaches us. He is intoxicated, I can smell it on his clothes. I bring her somewhere behind me. She takes hold of my jacket as the man asks for money.

"Please can I have just a few dollars."

Avery comes from behind and hands him green and tells him. "Buy food and a new shirt. Okay."

The man smiles, "Okay. Thank you."

I take her hand and walk her away from there. She really has something for talking to random male strangers. She laughs and repeatedly looks at me.

"You are always afraid. He just wanted to buy more liquor. He wasn't going to kill me."

"He could have. Avery that's not safe."

"Yes daddy." After she said it she must've felt off. She took her hand from mine and ran it through her hair. I can't say I didn't like it even if she was being sarcastic.

She clears her throat, "How far is this place? These aren't necessarily walking shoes."

I notice the black polish on her nails. "I don't think is that far. But if you need I'll carry you." I could hide my smirk and neither could she.

"You would want to carry me."

"You always say what you think I would do. Do you really know what I would do?"

She laughs, "You got me. I don't have a clue if it's really what you want to do."

What I want is to hold her. If it comes down to carrying her close I'd carry her. It's like the coconut smell I get from her makes my insides crave her. Like she would be something delicious. I can't even look at her in this dress it's torturous.