Chapter 11

I walk along side him my shoulder bumping into his occasionally. The zoo is very big. The bigger the zoo the more animals. More animals means the worst the smell.

"Look they're selling snacks. Do you want caramel popcorn?" He slightly shakes his head declining. I hurry over to the cart. "Hello."

She smiles showing off her teeth, "Hello." I know this act. My friend back in Wisconsin did the same thing.

"Huh, you got your braces removed?"

She chuckles adjusting her visor, "Yup. Just yesterday. I can't stop smiling."

"Well if I had a smile like yours I wouldn't. You're smile is beautiful." She stares behind me as she hands me the bag of popcorn.

"Don't look now but that guy leaned on the gate is staring." I turn my head slightly and look back at her.

"What do you think of him?"

"He's really hot but not my type."

I scoff, "How is hot not your type." She shrugs and I ask another question. "Do you think he's into me?"

"From the way he's watching you I'd say he is very interested." She looks pass me again. "Yeah he's into you."

"Can you believe he invited me here. We're on a date. I'm trying to see where we should go from here. He's kind of older then me." I lean onto the cart.

She looks at me then him and back, "I think you two would be cute together. I'll be rooting for you two."

I giggle, "Thanks." I read her name tag. "Thanks Candace. My name's Avery by the way." I pay her and throw a popcorn into my mouth. On my walk back to Zayn he is avoiding looking at me. He is posted like he's some kind of cool kid. I see what Candace saw he is very hot. His lean frame leaned up against the gate. I'm sure that he can tell I'm staring. He looks up at me and I take my time leisurely approaching.

"I see you made a friend." He smirks.

"She's nice but we've only talked once. We could possibly be friends if we ever hung out again." He calls everyone a friend.

He nods, kicking his feet as he steps. "I noticed her looking this way. Were you guys talking about me?"

"Yeah I asked her what she thought of you." I notice his brows rise. I've clearly sparked an interest.

"What did she say?"

"That you were hot. I agreed and then told her you were a stalker and that you were following me. I told her to remember your face."

He looks back at the stand and stares at me. He scratches the back of his head as if trying to decide whether or not to believe me. I can be a very convincing liar. I hold my poker face a little longer.

I laugh, "I'm kidding!" I grab onto his arm, "We did talk about you though."

"I don't want to know what you were saying anymore. I'm just gonna pretend like you were talking about my good looks."

I snicker, "What else would we be talking about?" I roll my eyes as if to say duh. He smiles down at me sucking on his upper lip. He is extremely hot.

He walks me through the zoo. To see the lions the tigers. Clearly that's his favorite animal. Then over to the gorillas and the monkeys. But I stopped when we reached the penguins. My best friend loved penguins. She would flip out if she knew I was standing in front of one right now. My eyes get a little glossy at the memory of the friend I left behind.

"Your crying. Avery why are you crying?" I put on smile trying to keep the tears that have welled up from falling.

"Oh it's petty. I just miss a friend."

"Oh. I don't think that's petty. You've been here for a little over a week. Your allowed to miss her." He emphasizes her and it makes me chuckle a bit. "It is a her right?" He asks looking through his long dark eyelashes. I choose to take that as a joke. By the look in his dark pupils he seriously wants to know.

"Yes. My friend is a her." I should've let him squirm a bit. It would've been quite cute to see him get a little jealous. If he would even get jealous that is.

"Okay good. If it were a guy I'd be really obnoxious and tell you to move on." He bites on his lip and I laugh. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. For me it's like a sign that he likes me. I stare at the penguins and he gives me my moment of silence.

"So what was she like? Your friend."

I'm brought back to my old times with her, "Her name's Haley. She was quiet but exciting. Everyday she was ready for fun." Her happy attitude is contagious. I had lost all that over my ex boyfriend. My smile that I had while I talked about her begins to fade. It's the sudden thought of his stern features. The honey colored blonde hair and blue eyes. The line that stood firm in between his eyebrows as he scowls in my thoughts giving me chills.

Zayn calls, "Avery? Avery are you alright?" I focus on his concerned brown eyes. They search for some sign in my eyes.

I smile, "I'm fine."

"She sounds amazing." I nod a smile playing at the corner of my lips.

"She is." He and I carry on to see more of the zoo animals. The animals are all so beautiful. I try hard every time I pass an employee I ask if I can join them in their caged habitat. The workers only laugh asking if I'm serious. Each time Zayn excuses me telling them I've never been to a zoo before. Zayn looks at the time and let's out a very unattractive sound.

"What's the matter?" I ask moving strands of hair from my eyes. I look at him and disappointment is noticeably set on his face.

"Huh?" He turns to face me, "Oh I didn't mean to do that out loud."

"Come on tell me what's the matter."

"It's just I'm having fun and I don't want to leave." He admits with a smirk. "But I have to go to work."

"Oh." I almost want to grunt too. I like spending time with Zayn. Today definitely proves that. He doesn't mind my weirdness or my talkativeness. He smiles just as much as I do so I know he doesn't hate that I smile a lot.

I look at the dark shade of blue that takes up the sky. I look over at him and he is staring at me. Before today, it was unsettling and...it still is.

"Your gaping." I smirk looking back up at the blue sky. This is so different from Hayward Wisconsin's skies. I don't see stars here just lights. He smiles and walks along side me not bothering to comment.

I grab onto his arm, "Where are your stars? The stars are practically nonexistent."

He shrugs, "God don't like ugly." I look at him in confusion and I burst into laughter. What is he talking about?

****

Leaving the gates of the zoo I come to realize it's late. It's dark way pass my curfew. My mom is going to have a fit. Zayn has to get to work anyway right so I can speed off.

"You know Zayn I actually have to go."

"Are you trying to ditch me?" He asks.

"You started it Mr. I have to work."

"It's true. But I don't see where your rushing off to."

"I'm late. I have to get home."

"Well then I'll walk you."

"No need to-"

He interrupts me, "It's on my way and I don't think you should be walking home alone anyway."

"Why not?" I ask.

"Because you like talking to strangers."

I remember yesterday he nearly stole my arm, trying to keep me from talking to the man at the park. If I didn't talk to strangers I never would've met him. Or maybe I would've met him but I never would've talked to-I would have met him either way.

"I don't do that normally." I emphasize normally. He peaks over at me not convinced. "I'm serious."