Chapter 4

I walk the streets keeping my gaze down just as Zayn had said to.

"When you walk just keep your head down. Like don't look them in the eye. They'll think you want something."

His accent is so beautiful. He's kind of a shy sexy charming hobo. It's hot that he's an artist even if it's kind of dark. I make way into the marble flooring.

"Hello Bryan. How was your day?"

"Very good. No bags you need me to carry?" He asks standing in front of the elevator.

"Nope. Any mail?" I ask pushing the button to the elevator. He hands me a pile of envelopes. "Thanks." I go up to my apartment. I unlock the door and Chen Yo is preoccupied in her cleaning to notice my presence. "Hey Yo."

She faces me, "Ah Avry." She practically raised me and she still can't pronounce my name right. "What are you doing home so soon."

"I'm late." I chuckle.

She waves it off, "Oh foo. When I was in school. We didn't come home until the sun was set."

"Well that was China. We're in America and we're much to lazy. That's why we trade with China and that's why China has the most intelligent children." I hop to the kitchen top.

"Ah ah ah. Avry Harpa bottom off the counter!" I swear sometimes I feel like my life is another karate kid movie.

"Yes ma'am." I hop down and go off to my room. I spill my books onto my bed. I have a lot of school work to try and understand. I flop onto my bed opening my books and shoving my headphones in my ear.

My pet dog jumps onto my bed, "Hey Kibble." I rub his head, "I can't play now I have to work."

(•_•) -("SKIPP says hi!")

My doorknob is being twisted and I drop my headphone to hear it better. It could be my mom she's probably going to prosecute me as if I'm some witness in one of her court cases. Or it could be my dad to tell me I need to buckle down and get it going. He lives for pep talks I guess that's why he made it a point to be a motivational speaker. Or it could be the nanny.

"Yo? Chen Yo is that you?"

"No it's your mother open the door."

"I'd much rather it be Chen Yo." I tell her. I open the door and she is frowning showing her disappointment. I stare at the black dress that fits perfectly on her hips. She is towering over me in her five inch pumps.

"Don't be rude Avery." She passes me to sit at the edge of my bed. "How was your first day?"

"It was fine."

"You didn't have a problem with the bus? Did you talk to strangers, did they try to touch you?"

"Of course and some wanted to put me into prostitution. Don't worry I told them I couldn't I had to go to school and make something of my life."

She crosses her arms, "That's not funny. I don't find you funny. This is New York and anyone could come and snatch you up at any given time. I hate that you have to walk by yourself."

"No mom. You are not about to hire someone to walk me to and from school. I'm fine. I got this." I roll my eyes, "It was just a joke." I'm fully aware that it's unsafe to be walking alone in New York. But I can't drive I mean I can but it's much easier to walk in this town. Everything is right there at my disposal, on foot. Besides, cars always get caught in the traffic.

"So why'd you come by my door?" I ask hanging off my bed again. I look at her through my hair. "Did you want to enforce some more rules?"

Her lips straighten into a line. Her red lipstick and slick back pony makes her more intimidating. She places her hand on her lap and let's out a sigh.

"I wouldn't have to put rules on you if you were able to be trusted."

"You can trust me. If you would stop being so uppity. Take the pole out your ass and you could see I'm just like you." She stands at my words.

"Don't. Avery I told you not to talk that way. No swearing in this house."

"You've got to be shitting me." I try to hide my smirk. She leaves the room whipping her ponytail behind her. She shouts to my dad, "I can't talk to her!"

I let out a heavy sigh. I don't see why me being able to express myself is so bad. I don't see why having fun is such a problem to her. I have always kept up my grades. I'm attentive in the classroom. I don't see why she has to be such a bitch about this. She gave an entire rule book for in the house and another for when I leave the house.

All because of one stupid mistake.

Chen Yo shouts, "Dinner is ready! Avry Harpa! Downstairs now young lady!" I run downstairs and Chen Yo gives me an approving smile.

"Thanks Chen." I sit at the table as my dad strolls into the kitchen.

"Avery. Good evening, how was your day?" He sits unbuttoning the first two buttons of his shirt.

"It was fine." I say. My mother sits across from him and she stares at him intently. As of wanting him to say something. He swallows the chicken, "Did you get hurt? Were you spoken down on by people? Did you get embarrassed?"

"No." I mutter stuffing my face with chicken. I'm not entirely hungry because of the pizza but Chen will have my neck if I don't eat.

He shouts, "Triumph. Be joyed that none of those things have happened to you this day. You have made the first day. Say it, I had a good day."

"I had a good day." I say in between the rice an the chicken.

"Louder like you mean it."

"Dad." I chuckle, "My day was just fine. Nothing special happened to make it worth the "good" title. Now stop treating me like I'm one of those guys in your pep talks." I laugh, "What's so wrong with just having a fine day. Nothing to great and nothing so bad. It was just fine."

He looks at my mother, "Absolutely nothing wrong with that honey."

"So how was your day? Did you make men cry?" He always come home talking about his fans breaking down.

"Yes but he cried for good reason. He was stuck between a rock and a hard place. But now he's going to get his life together."

I immitate his actions, holding up my hand as he does. Together we say, "With the five step plan."

In some ways you can say I'm like my dad. I talk my way through, into, and out of things. I'm very good with words. I guess then I'm like my mother too. She knows how to get anyone out of a situation. Being that she's a lawyer.

Chen Yo smiles, "Avery do you want more? You eat up all the chicken."

I chuckle, "No thanks Yo." I am only eating so I won't be yelled at. Save me some time. "Have you made desert?"

"Do you mean my moon pies?"

"No I mean like cupcakes."

"No." She spits, "But I bought more ice cream since you finish it last time." I place my plate in the sink. I grab a spoon and the carton of ice cream.

My mom asks, "Made any friends?"

"No but it's the first day." I lick the ice cream off the spoon. "Besides I wouldn't even dare make friends. I don't need you telling me who I can befriend and who I can't." Another one of her rules.

She rolls her eyes, "Don't be that way. Don't you think I have good reason to be this way?"

"Of course not mom. You're over reacting. It happened one time and I did it one time." That's a lie but I don't need her going crazy about it.

"I just don't trust you. You were lying for so long. I need this, to be aware of who you're hanging out with. I need to know what you're doing. It's for your safety." I nod.

"Okay. Whatever. I have things I have to do anyway." I put away the ice cream and stalk up to my room. I think it's time to play with Kibble.