Chapter 1

"What's your name?" He asks the cigarette sitting between his lips. His slim frame posted on the building. He's dressed like a bum. All black with a wrinkled flannel shirt. He stares askance at me. I can't help the discomfort and the slight thought that something is wrong with me. Maybe what I'm wearing or my hair. Shit. Is it my makeup.

I dread this question. When you have a name like mine it becomes annoying to have to tell it. He raises his brow waiting for my answer.

"Avery Harper."

"Avery?" The sound was beautiful. I have never heard my name pronounced this way. My name isn't so bad coming from him, anyway.

"Yes."

He takes a drag of his cigarette, "I'm Zayn." I nod turning my attention back to the busy streets of the city.

Please bus, hurry up.

The bus comes to a screeching stop as the woman on the bus snaps, "Come on! Sorry we're running late!" I hurry on trying to step on with this skirt hugging my knees.

I hurry to find a seat on the bus with no luck. The bus is entirely full and I'm forced to stand.

Zayn stands in front of me his gaze either on me or pass me. His fingers gripping the bar. I try to look anywhere else. I don't want him to get the wrong idea. I mean he'd be cute without the dirty I-just-woke-up-on-the-street look. But his stare is unsettling and I can't keep looking everywhere. I glance at him and I notice the smirk playing across his lip.

The bus comes to a stop and another herd of people board the bus. Zayn comes this way so more can come on. He stands much closer. I look to the side keeping my gaze elsewhere.

"Hello again." He says a little over a whisper.

"Uh yes hi." I say.

You know how in grade school you get an officer that comes to your school. They make one rule that you should always remember -that I have been to dumb to keep in mind. Don't talk to strangers. Look at me, I didn't just talk to the stranger I gave him my name. Now he clearly thinks we could be friends. Not that I'm too good for him but honestly. I can't be making friends with the bums in the street. I want to have normal friends first.

The bus reaches my stop and I shuffle pass to get off. I keep my eyes on my steps. I have a bit of a walk.

I plug my headphones into my ears. Listening to the distracting music. I feel someone behind me. I turn to see his black hair and baggy clothes. I'm slightly worried, of course he's a killing stalker. I gave my name to a killing stalker. I go pass a few people and speed my steps to keep our distance. I avoid looking back because I don't need to psych myself out.

I come up to the school noticing the the other students already. Everyone is leisurely walking into the building. Everyone in the same outfits and the same colors. Red shirts and for the girls black skirts as for the guys black pants. Everyone in the same uniform. I notice the way my skirt is hugging me and everyone else's aren't.

I walk inside I can feel everyone's stares. The new girl. I keep my head down walking into the busy hall. I slip out my schedule to see my locker number. 1443. I peer my eyes to look at the numbers as I pass by people.

Where the hell is it?

I come to the locker letting out a grateful sigh. I have to walk so far to get to my locker. I take the locker still scanning the paper to read off the code.

I can feel a presence come to my side. I decide to keep my vision on my lock. I peek over from the corner of my eyes. His hands are rough at the tips of his fingers. He seems to be having a hard time with it. I can feel him looking at me. Maybe he knows I'm watching. I decide to look at my own finally getting it open. His still doesn't open.

He mumbles, "Stupid." His voice is familiar so I look up at him. He is smiling down at me, "Hello."

I stare at him gaping. My eyes are most likely out of its socket. This Zayn guy followed me all the way into my school.

"I'm Zayn, you must be new here."

"I-I.." I am interrupted by the school's guidance counselor.

"Yes it's good to see you've gotten acquainted Ms. Harper." She takes her hand on Zayn's shoulder. "This is Zayn he should be on his way."

He goes here? He has a beard! Maybe he was left back.

Zayn shoots her a look, "No worries. I'm just being friendly."

She returns her attention to me, "Ms. Harper we are happy to have you join us. Have you gotten familiar with the buildings? You've seen the classrooms on your tour, yes?"

"Yes."

"Good." She smiles, "Then I will leave you to it. Hope you have a wonderful first day." I watch as she leaves me here with him. I turn back to see him smiling.

"Hello again."

I still the creep vibes from him. But he's a student and he seems to be nice. He's attractive and friendly. Well now I know he's not a bum on a street.

"Hello...again."