Chapter 45

Zayn's POV

I am seated in the waiting room. This white painted wall, sick people smelling, beeping noise making hospital. Just for an update on Avery. On our search for Avery the GPS on her truck had moved again. Leading us to this very hospital. We passed by a bit of a burnt area still fire trucks and police cars there. That raised all of our suspicion and it scared me a little. Her parents were here freaking out a moment ago but they're with her now. I don't think they could handle what they were told.

"She's had an immense amount of smoke intake. She is currently in a momentary coma. She has third degree burns up her left arm and one degree burns on the palm of her hands. We are just waiting now for her to wake."

I figured that I'd give them time. Not that I think Avery's mum will give me any visiting rights. But I'm praying I get to see her. I need to see her. I need to just talk to her.

"I called for her safety!! I deserve to see her?! I'm her---I was..." I look up to see a blonde haired kid. For some reason he looks like he's getting more angry after realization hits him or something. "Tell me where she is!! I need her!!" He looks down the hall, "Avery!!!" He shouts.

At the mention of her name I tense.

The lady says, "Young man this is a hospital you need to--!!"

"Don't tell me what I need to do!! I need to see Avery so that I can apologize to her!!!!"

It all hits me, he is the boy that took her. He is her ex boyfriend. He is the dick that wanted to start fires for fun. The anger and the fear inside me makes my skin boil. Before I know how to calm myself I have my hands around his collared shirt.

"You piece of shit!! This is all your fault!!"

He looks at me, "You're--the guy...aren't you?" He tries to speak between his chokes as I tighten my grip. "You're--the guy--she loves now?" And that momentarily calms me. Making my grip loosen. But I push him up against the hospital wall.

"What happened to her?! What the fuck did you do?!!"

The same lady from behind the desk says, "Excuse me, you two need to take it outside before I call the police!"

Her father says, "That won't be necessary. Zayn come..." He has said my name for the first time. Making me drop the idiots collar. He has his arm stretched out to me. He nods as if it telling me it's okay. I walk over to him and he leads me down a hall neither of us bothering to speak.

He stops me in front of the door. He grabs hold of my shoulder before speaking.

"She was trying to save a few people's lives. She went to a house that was almost on fire to save anyone inside. She went in and there was another man inside. We don't know if he was alive when she was in there we just know he isn't a live right now. Avery isn't breathing on her own yet. But when you see her I want you to be strong for her. I know you can, you've been strong this entire time."

I nod not sure what to say. He lets go of my shoulder and walks into the room. I follow behind him and then I see her. My heart skips a beat and I take in a large breath. The brim of my eyes burn, threatening tears. Her brown hair sprawled out. Her eyes shut and mouth ajar with a pipe down her throat. Her arm is covered inside of what looks like a cast. She has a needle in her hand supplying her with liquids. But it's the lifeless look of her.

"I---I can't..." I stutter. I can't lose her to a fire. I can't lose her to a fire. I can't lose her to fire. I can't.

Then images of her smiling or laughing play in my mind. I just need to talk to her. It can be like that first date as she called it. I took her for pizza and she did all the talking. Except like then the roles will be reversed.