Chapter 42

He pulls into the parking lot basement. He takes my hand as he takes me up. I purposefully push the lobby button so that I can see Bryan. The last time he and I spoke I was trying to get away from this place as quickly as possible.

The elevator dings as I get off in search of Bryan.

"Hi Bryan!"

"Ms. Avery! Hello it's good to see you again. You are looking better."

"It's good to see you too Mr. Bryan." I hug him and at first he was stiff then relaxed a little. "But I have to head up..."

"Of course." Bryan replies.

"They're home." He says after a second and as I am walking back into the elevator.

"Thanks for the warning."

He chuckles, "Good luck." The elevator closes. Zayn leans back against the wall and is smirking at me.

"I'm figuring you don't have personal boundaries and you talk to all strangers."

"Bryan isn't a stranger."

"He was once."

"So were you." I retort with a smile.

Bryan's POV

It's good to see Avery again. This building is quite lifeless without her. She's the only one to actually pull up conversation. I sure hope she is here for good. And that retched mother of hers controls her anger. She's been snapping at everyone since Avery left. Even me.

I sure hope Avery stays.

"Young sir," A boy walks in dirty blonde hair with nearly tan skin. Big broad kid with clothes that are clinging to his skin. He looks as though life hasn't been to kind to him.

"Yes." He breathes out, "I'm not here for a place to stay though I could use it. I am here because-"

"I can offer you a place to stay. In my apartment. I am doing the night shift and you don't seem like the type to steal. Though I have nothing worth stealing."

"God says not to steal. I don't steal."

"Then you can go on up and shower, clean yourself up young sir..."

"Sir that is very kind of you but I came-" I hand him the single key to the apartment.

"I expect you to bring this down to me when you leave tomorrow morning."

"Uh...okay thank you."

"Elevator is there young sir."

"My name is Blane, sir."

"Yes Mr. Blane."

Avery's POV

I stand in the hall my hands trembling as I hold my key to the door. Zayn stands beside me watching me like a hawk. But I can't bring myself to stick the key in the slot. She could be sitting on the sofa with her hair pulled back and her glare that could kill.

"Avery..." Zayn's call breaks through my thoughts. "You can do this. Its your mum and she loves you."

"I-I can do this..." I say a little louder than a whisper.

I stick the key in the slot and turn. Hearing the lock being pulled into its cage my heart beat picks up. I can feel the buzz on my fingers and the heat on my face.

I open the door and Zayn mumbles encouraging words, "You can do this Avery."

No one is in here.

I step further inside and I hear their voices. They are coming this way. Just as I am about to turn to leave like this never happened. Zayn holds me in place keeping me from escaping.