Chapter 5

I sit out on the balcony watching the cars go pass and listening to the constant voices. Out here you don't get much sky but it is still beautiful looking at all the city lights.

I raise my glass of water to my lips. Maybe tomorrow will be better day.

(•_•) -(SKIPP says wyd?)

I wake to my alarm, I hit off. But my eyes shut on their own. Banging hits hard against my door and I jump up out of fear.

My mom shouts, "We're leaving! You better be up getting dressed!"

I spring out of bed, "Shit." I hurry to the bathroom not nearly enough time to shower. I brush my teeth and throw my hair up into a bun. I dampen a rag to clean under my arms. I run into the room looking for my skirt. No this isn't black this is dark indigo! I pull up my skater skirt zipping and trying to put on my socks. I trip falling onto the floor.

Chen Yo shouts, "You're going to miss the bus!"

I look at myself. "Shirt I need a yellow shirt." That's the color right? I look at the schedule and read. Tuesday yellow. I look through my closet I come across a yellow, black and white flannel shirt. I throw it over my head and spray on perfume. I slip into my Keds. I put in my stood earrings as I grab my books off my bed. Shit my bag is ripped; I can't use that! I look at my face coming into view in the mirror and stop.

"Make up." I look in the mirror and hurry to put it on. I run out carrying books in my hand. I have to catch the bus! I run crashing into people and constantly giving my apologize. I see the bus is sitting there. But no one is there. Why? I hurry to the bus and Zayn is arguing with the bus driver.

"I'm telling you that..."

I let out a sigh, "Hi." I squeeze pass Zayn and the bus driver closes the door.

Zayn says, "Told you." He walks my way and again we're left standing. "I see you're running late."

I nod still trying to catch my breath from all that running.

"Why were you and the bus driver arguing?" I ask.

"I told him you were coming but he wanted to drive off. I told him to wait he said he couldn't. It kind of went from there."

I smile, "Thank you I really appreciate it. I hit the off button instead of snooze. I really overslept."

He nods clenching and unclenching his jaw. His stare is focusing on me. Just like yesterday and it's very unsettling. I feel like something is wrong. I pull out my phone and flip the camera. I look okay for someone who was rushing. I put it away and hold onto the bar.

The bus hits a bump and Zayn puts his hand out touching my arm. "Steady." He drops his hand and looks everywhere but at me.

"Are you going to be on the lunch detention side again?"

"I have to sit there." He says still not willing to look at me. He looks down at his boots. I notice the way he's dressed today. Black skinny jeans and a yellow shirt with the blue jean jacket. The jean jacket has all kinds of colorful graffiti on it. He doesn't look so much like a hobo today.

"Oh." He doesn't say anything else. I stare at the floor noticing his boots. "I think your boots are...I love them."

He stares at me, "Uh thank you." I nod. Why do we keep getting into these awkward silences? Maybe I'm annoying him I think I'm just going to shut up. I hold onto the bar and gaze out the windows.

He mutters, "Avery. This may be a long shot but would you want to go out or something later?"

I bite on my lip, "Yeah sure."

"Really?" He smiles. "I wasn't expecting a yes." Which is odd because he's pretty good looking. He's friendly as far as I've seen. But this is really only day two.

I shrug, "You're a pretty nice person. That and you kinda took me out yesterday."

He pokes out his bottom lip shaking his head, "I did not."

"You paid for it." I remind him. "You asked and I agreed. Making it a date." He smirks realizing that what I was saying was true. I smile at the satisfaction of being right.

"Well if that's what you thought I didn't mean to confuse you." He smiles. "That was more of a welcome to the city lets have lunch kind of thing."

"That's okay I didn't think anything of it." I lean onto the bar holding the books to my chest.

He reaches out, "Let me take that for you." He takes them my grip loosening considering how heavy they were. My arm rejoices at the heavy weight lift. They dangle at my sides and Zayn chuckles.

"Feel better?"

"Yes, so much better." I move the hair out my face, "I'm going to go shopping for a new bag sometime today."

"I'd recommend my services but I'm working today. So you'll have to be on your own."

"I think I can manage." The bus comes to a screeching halt. I start off first and he follows close behind. The herd of people passing on the pavement is suffocating. I would never consider myself claustrophobic but this is full. People are always on the streets. Even this early in the morning. Especially this early in the morning.

I turn to face Zayn trying to get his cigarettes out his pockets. I walk back to him taking the books from him. I wave him off as he fusses.

"I'm capable of carrying it. Get your cigarette." I tell him. I walk onward. He lights the cigarette and takes a long drag from it. He lets out the smoke and I unintentionally stare at the way his lips form an 'o'. He is a rather attractive smoker.

"Since you asked me out I'm guessing you aren't in a relationship." He stares at me through slim eyes. You can hardly see the black pupils beneath his long lashes.

"No, I'm not..." His eyes dart from my expression to someone in front of me. His hand takes me by the shoulder pulling me closer to him. I would've objected to this act. I choose against it when I realize he prevented me from walking into the woman with an overgrown bag at her hip.

"Thanks that woman's bag could've sacked me right in the stomach." I turn back to catch a glimpse of her.

"No problem, but another piece of advice. Pay attention to the people in front of you because they'll trample you." He smiles as he says it. He has a very nice smile.

He raises the cigarette back to his lips. I walk along side actually looking at the view. Since yesterday I was to busy running or speed walking to pay it any attention. Reaching the school I notice the yellow shirt and black shorts. I look at my skirt and it seems so does everyone else.

"Today is a gym day so the girls are wearing shorts." He whispers. "I think the school lends shorts if you need it."

"Thanks. I obviously fail at paying attention." He chuckles dropping his cigarette and stomping on it. Together we walk inside the building.