Chapter 3

I walk out of the school hurrying my steps to catch the bus. This day was not as bad as it started. I thought I was talking to a bum that wanted to stalk and kill me. But he turned out to be a spooky hot hobo in my school. My feet hurt from all the extra walking I'm not used to.

I come to a stop as I reach the bus stop. I hold onto the seat ready to wait for the bus. Then his appearance becomes evident.

"Hello." He says.

"Hello." I chuckle. He seems to say that often. I look down at my sneakers. I tap the tips of my shoes against the pavement unsure of what to say.

I notice the smell of the cigarette smoke. He brings it back to his lips just as I look up at him.

"You know that could kill you."

He takes it from his lips and licks them. "No I didn't know that. I should probably quit then." He says bringing it back to his lips.

"You should quit." I retort.

"I tried." He says honestly, "It's not that easy." I feel for him I know how hard it was for me and my high. It's really hard to stop once you start.

"I get it."

"Did you used to smoke?" He asks. He takes a seat beside me stretching out his foot.

"Uh no. I had my own addiction."

His eyebrows knit to the center, "Oh?"

We return to our silence. He isn't the slightest bit interested in smoking anymore. He drops it stepping firmly on it. I look down at it and he looks around avoiding me.

"I notice you made some friends." He says. He holds his hands in his pockets. "I noticed you in the cafeteria."

"Yeah." So he did see me. "I don't know if I'd call them friends yet. They just were sitting at my table."

I bite on my lip and as the bus pulls up a lady rushing to get on bumps into me. My bag drops to the floor and my books spill on the concrete. People eager to get on the bus take steps on my things.

Zayn shouts, "Seriously! Watch your step!" He kneels down and helps pick my things up. "Here."

"Thank you." It was an awkward kind of sweet gesture. He just shouted at people though none of them seemed phased by it. I try to put on the bag but it's torn. Shit. I step onto the bus holding a tight grip on my bag.

Zayn chuckles taking a seat beside me, "I doubt anyone is going to steal it."

"No it ripped." I say moving my hair from my eyes.

"Shit." He says. "I can get you another."

"No. No it's okay." It's odd he hardly knows me why would he offer to get it. There is enough room between us to sit my books. I feel slightly discomforted by the silence. There is something nagging me as he sits here silently staring at his hands.

"If you don't mind me asking why were you sitting out in that courtyard?"

"I was eating." He says with a shrug.

"Yeah but why?"

"I was hungry." Clearly he's not going to tell me so I drop it. I have no idea why I care anyway. And shouldn't I be staying clear. They told me he's no good. Though they didn't tell me anything he'd actually done.

He adds, "I'm actually pretty hungry now. What about you do you want to go out maybe? Get something to eat."

Again caught off guard. "Why?" I blurt with a smile. He doesn't crack a smile or laugh.