The Color Of Love. Chapter 25

Chapter 25

I walked down stairs and headed for the kitchen. An aroma filled the house and it smelt wonderful. I went inside the kitchen to find my mom cooking.  

"Yum, its smells good in here. What you making?" I asked her. 

"Pancakes, bacon, eggs, and grits," she answered. 

"Sounds good, are you trying to fatten me up," I asked her. She laughed. 

"Even if I tried, that would never happen, you were never the one to gain weight even though you eat like a pig." I laughed. 

"Whatever momma," I replied. I watched as she filled two plates with food and came to the table and sat them down. I immediately dug in.  

"Mhmm this is delicious," I told her. "I've definitely missed your cooking ma."  

"Well I'm glad you like it," she said. 

"So when will dad be back," I watched as a look crossed her face. Maybe nervousness, I don't know.  

"Umm I don't know Alyssa," she stated. 

"Is everything alright," I asked her. She said nothing for a while as I stared at her and then she broke the silence.  

"Alyssa, your dad hasn't been living here for awhile now and we decided to split up," she said like it was normal.  

"What do you mean?" I was sort of confused.  

"I mean that we are getting a divorce."  

"Why?" I asked. 

"That's none of you business," she told me. I sucked my teeth. What the hell did she mean it was none of my business?  I mean I was a part of this family. Oh, it was my business. 

"How can you even say that, I'm your daughter. Don't you think I deserved to know?"  

"To be quite honest, no."She had some nerve. 

"So tell me, did one of you step out? Did you have an affair or did he," I said raising my voice.  I was just so angry at her for not telling me and for having the nerve to tell me that it was none of my business.

"Lower your voice and end this conversation now," she shouted.  

"Whatever, forget it," I said standing up. I threw my food in the trash and put my plate in the sink. I walked upstairs, threw on some clothes and shoes, grabbed my keys and left.

I somehow ended up at the outside shopping mall. Shopping always somehow made me feel better so that's what I decided to do. I grabbed my purse and got out the car and started my journey on a shopping spree. The first place I started was Wet Seal, and when I exited the store, I carried four bags with me. I decided to take the bags back to my car before I went on to the next store so as I made my way down the sidewalk, I heard my name being called.  

"Look Jake, isn't that Alyssa." Oh gosh, why was she even calling me? Trish hated me for dating her son. I glanced over my shoulder to see how close she was to me and if I could just pretend like I didn't hear her and make a run for it. Damn, no. She was too close and she saw me glance her way. I put my best smile on my face and turned around to greet her. She was now almost near me. Jake stood by her side along with another girl I had never seen before.  

"Hey," I said. 

"Hey Lyssa, it's been a while. Have you heard about the news?" Trish asked me.  

"Mom don't!" Jake demanded. 

"What news?" I asked confused and ignoring him. It was obviously news that she wanted me to hear, so it couldn’t be anything good, especially since Jake didn’t want for her to tell me.”

"Jake's getting married," she practically shouted.  

"What?" I said.

"Yes, to this beautiful young lady in about a week," she said gesturing to the girl. You could tell that she was trying to rub it in my face. "Show her the ring," Trish said. The girl held out her hand and I got a clear view of the nice rock on her finger. I felt like I was back in college and it was like Déjà vu. My heart was breaking all over again. How could he? He was getting married. All the pieces now came together. That's why Chris was in town, he was here for the upcoming wedding. That was also the reason why Jake said 'he shouldn't be doing this' before we had sex. Oh gosh, we had sex and he was getting married in less than a week. My hurt and sadness was replaced with anger. I mean what was he thinking? I managed to get out a few words even though my heart was hurting and my head was fuming. 

"Wow congratulations," I told the both of them. 

"Thank you, I'm so excited and I can't wait," The girl said excitedly. I felt the tears begin to sting my eyes. I had to get out of there, before I lost it.

"Well I'm kind of in a hurry, so it was nice seeing you guys. Congrats again" I said turning away and heading to my car. I can't believe he would do that. I threw my bags in the passenger seat and cranked up. Once I was out the parking lot the tears emerged from my eyes and sprinted down my cheeks. How did I let this happen again?