The Color Of Love. Chapter 24

Chapter 24

I struggled to see as the rain was falling and the sky was darkening which made me feel like I was being blinded. I slowed down the car trying to be careful not to miss the next exit. I had no sense of direction being that I hadn't been down here in years. I looked to the right for the exit. Where in the hell were the signs? I looked in my rearview. Dammit I had passed it. My gas light flashed and began to beep.  

"I know, I know," I said to my car. I just hoped that I could make it to a gas station before I ran out. I can't believe I let it get that low. I kept on driving struggling to find the next exit and the rain wasn't helping out. I began to lose hope until I saw a sign for the next exit in one mile. I pressed the gas higher thinking that that was going to help my gas, but then it was no longer accelerating and my car became quiet. The only sound I heard was the rain pelting against the body of my car.  

"Shit," I muttered to myself. I turned the wheel and pulled off to the shoulder of the road. I put the car in park and rested my head against the back seat. Now what was I suppose to do. I could walk. The exit was less than a mile away, but the rain and wind would kill me before I got there but I decided to try it anyway. I grabbed my phone and got out the car and began walking. About two feet from my car I realized it was a horrible idea and went back and got in my car. I was soaked. What made me decide on walking again? I pulled out my phone to call my mom. No answer. I groaned so I dialed Lyci's number when all of a sudden I heard a knock on my window. I nearly had a hard attack because it felt like I had been placed in a horror movie when the girls car breaks down and somebody tries to steal her. The figure knocked again. I didn't know who it was so why should I answer, but maybe they were really trying to help. I pondered over it in my head.  

"Lyssa is that you? Open up." It was Jake. I opened the door and had rain immediately hit me in my face.  

"What happen?" he asked. 

"I ran out of gas," I stated. He laughed. I saw nothing funny.  

"Come on," he said grabbing my hand and pulling me out the car. I grabbed my keys and phone and followed him to his car which was parked behind me. I went, hopped in the passenger side and closed the door. He did the same on the driver's side.  

"How the hell do you run out of gas," he asked laughing.  

"It's not funny Jake," I stated. He continued laughing as I glared at him.  

"Okay I'm sorry. Listen I have a gas can at my place, we can go get it and fill it up and that should be enough to get you home and to a gas station." I nodded.  

"Thanks," I said. 

"No problem." Minutes later we pulled up into an apartment complex. Jake parked the car and looked at me.  

"You ready," he asked. It was still raining like crazy so we would have to make a break for it.  

"Yea," I said. 

"Okay lets go," he said opening the door and getting out. I did the same. He met me at the front of the car, grabbed my hand and ran until we arrived at a door. I watched as he pulled out his keys and unlocked it. He led me inside. I looked around. It looked so nice and had a homey feel to it. Everything was neat, clean, and decorated.