The Color Of Love. Chapter 21

Chapter 21

I paced up and down the walkway trying to make up my mind. What should I do? I shouldn't be this helpless puppy and beg for him back, but I also shouldn't let him slip away from me just like that. I stood in front of the door and stared at it. This decision was so hard. It felt like I was the president and I was deciding if our country should go to war or not, but I was only deciding if I should knock on the door or not. I know, pathetic right? But what really kept me from knocking was what was behind that door. Jake. The guy I was in love with that no longer loved me. I sighed and brought my hand down and it hung by my side.  

"Why won't you just knock?" Chris said making me jump. I turned to look at him.  

"How long have you been standing there?" I asked him. 

"Long enough to know that you were having a debate in your head over whether you should knock," he stated. I looked away. "Here I'll make it easy for you, I'll open the door," he said pulling out his keys.  

"Chris wait!" I shouted. "What if he doesn't want to talk to me?"

"He does," he simply stated. 

"How do you know that?"  

"I just do," he said sticking the key in the lock and opening the door.  

"Okay, I'm just going to go," I said walking away.  

"No you're not." he grabbed my hand and pulled me inside.  

"Chris no! What are you doing?" I whispered/shouted at him. 

"Jake-" Chris started to yell but I covered his mouth.  

"Chris stop!" I whispered/yelled again. He tore my hand from his mouth.  

"Jake!" he yelled. I tried to run but he pulled me back. I now realized that I wasn't ready to face him. "Somebody's here to see you." Jake emerged from his room.  

"Who?" he said walking into the kitchen which made Chris release his grip on me.  

"Hey," I said feeling stupid.  

"Well I'll be back. I have to go get something," Chris said. 

"Chris-"  

"I got to get something," he said cutting me off. I watched him as he walked away. My heart was beating a thousand beats per minute and I felt like I was going to faint. I was terribly nervous which was silly because I had really never been nervous around him in my life. It's funny how the one guy could change your emotions.  

"I think I'm just going to go," I said losing my courage to talk to him.  

"Why did you come if you were just going to leave as soon as you got here?" he asked. 

"Because that wasn't my intentions smartass!"  

"So what were your intentions?" he asked.  

"To see why you broke up with me," I told him. 

"Simple. I don't love you anymore," he said. I winced as his words stung me. I just had hoped that he was lying, but if he was he was a good actor because his face showed nothing. I had to get him to crack or something. 

"That's a lie and you and I both know it," I told him. 

"Whatever, you believe what you want to believe Lyssa."

"Jake, why are you acting like this?"  

"Acting like what?" he asked. 

"Like this!" I said. "You've been distant from me ever since you're mom came." He said nothing.  

"This is about your mom isn't it? What did she say? You need to ignore her!"  

"She said nothing Lyssa, she has nothing to do with our break-up." He retoreted.

"So why are you doing this?" I asked him once again. 

"I told you. I don't love you, so get over yourself. You're being pathetic!" he shouted. All the shattered pieces of my heart cracked in half. How could he say that? Tears poured from my eyes without a warning. I tried to wipe them away but it was no use. They were pouring too hard and too fast. I looked away from Jake. Those words just made me feel horrible. They made me feel like I was nothing. I saw Chris walk back in the kitchen. I turned and begin to walk out the house as my vision began to blur. 

"Alyssa I'll drive you home, you shouldn't drive like that," Chris said. I ignored him and continued walking. I walked out the door and down the walkway.  

"Alyssa I'll drive you," Chris said grabbing my hand.  

"Let go of me! " I shouted as I yanked my hand away breaking free. I ran down the stairs almost tripping because I couldn't see through my blurred vision. I got in my car and locked the doors because Chris was still following me. I cranked up the car and wiped my eyes trying to see better. I backed out and began my drive home. I felt like I was driving in a bad storm because I couldn't see. About halfway to my place I pulled over realizing it wasn't worth it. Resting my head against the steering wheel I thought over what Jake said but I still couldn't believe he said that to me. What was he thinking? What was going through his mind? I felt so... words can't explain how I felt. All that I knew was that I was a broken-hearted girl and no one could mend that broken heart but Jake.